OT: Odd Towson/Ambrose write-up | The Boneyard

OT: Odd Towson/Ambrose write-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.thetowerlight.com/2012/10/football-coaches-cross-lines-mistreat-players/

"In as exact words as possible he stated: “I do not care what your religion is. I do not care if I offend anyone. But even if Jesus and his disciples come in here on Saturday, we are going to them up and get them the out of here.”
That particular statement offended many players on the team especially those with strong Christian beliefs. On top of that, there are many other questionable things said we believe are crossing the line of ethics He has also made remarks on the lines of ruining players live to the point where they would not be able to transfer to any other school if they cross him to a certain extent. Some members of the team are scared to speak up because of the perceived personal repercussions if the coaches caught wind of it. But it has gotten to the point where many players have talked about quitting even in the midst of winning games.
There is also many violations in practice hours per day. We have been presented with practice logs that coach Ambrose submits weekly which we have found to be completely inaccurate. Ambrose holds punishment runs almost daily throughout the week at 6 a.m. but does not post them on any of his practice logs.
He also logs inaccurate time lengths of our practices and meetings. This is an issue we have already presented to the compliance office."

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced from the articles that there is fire, as opposed to smoke. But time will tell.

The story reads as if some disgrunted player needs a whaaaaambulance. (And that includes the Jesus comment that was presumably meant to be something like "I don't care if you're religious -- when you come to the stadium on Saturday .....)

Reaction Score
It may well be that Ambrose is an balloon knot. I'm not sure what on earth the comment about religion has to do with that.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced from the articles that there is fire, as opposed to smoke. But time will tell.

The story reads as if some disgrunted player needs a whaaaaambulance. (And that includes the Jesus comment that was presumably meant to be something like "I don't care if you're religious -- when you come to the stadium on Saturday .....)

Is that a lawyer making ambulance jokes?

Reaction Score
In the week leading up to UCONN's game at Miami in 2002 ESPN cameras documented UCONN's week of preperation. In a chalkboard session with the offense Dan O made some comment about possibly adjusting a formation. Ambrose went into an obsenity laced tirade ripping Dan O apart and saying this wasn't a Madden video game. Dan O had this "What the is wrong with you?" look on his face while Ambrose continued to cuss. I remember that pretty well becasue I was thinking the same thing.

Reaction Score
In the week leading up to UCONN's game at Miami in 2002 ESPN cameras documented UCONN's week of preperation. In a chalkboard session with the offense Dan O made some comment about possibly adjusting a formation. Ambrose went into an obsenity laced tirade ripping Dan O apart and saying this wasn't a Madden video game. Dan O had this "What the Fecundity is wrong with you?" look on his face while Ambrose continued to cuss. I remember that pretty well becasue I was thinking the same thing.

HA!! I don't remember seeing anything like that.

I do know for fact, that Dan had the same effect on, and response from, Mike Martz in game plan prep in the NFL. Always questioning and pushing, that kid. Love it.

This is my opinion only, but I think that 2002 Miami team was the best football team that UConn has ever played to date, unbelievably loaded was that team. We actually had a very good game plan, but just were so outclassed with size and speed, that it wasn't funny. I wrote about that two years ago - when Reyes picked that ball and returned it the length of the field against Cincinatti, it was amazing that we had come so far with our program in just two recruiting class cycles.

Nobody on that Cincy offense was able to catch our defensive linemen for 80 yards in a stand still start of the run. Against that Miami team, Dan was sack/fumbled by Vince Wilfork, and the other 300lb+ Miami DT - dont' recall the name, picked up the ball, and flat outran and beat all of our backs and receivers in 50 yard sprint from a standstill, to the endzone. Their 300lb+ nose tackle was faster than any back or receiver on the field for our squad, in a 40 yard sprint.

Reaction Score
Or the game at VPI, where Shawn Feldeison caught a fly pattern 20 yards past the nearest Safety and didn't even have a chance to outrun him to anywhere near the endzone?

Reaction Score
Or the game at VPI, where Shawn Feldeison caught a fly pattern 20 yards past the nearest Safety and didn't even have a chance to outrun him to anywhere near the endzone?

Can't coach speed BL. This is why where our program is at right now, is so very, very important to make the right decisions moving forward. We need to continue to recruit better and better. Has our recruiting improved? No real evidence yet to show that. I do know, that perpetuating a losing program, makes it very hard to recruit.

Tough spot we're in.

Reaction Score
Can't coach speed BL. This is why where our program is at right now, is so very, very important to make the right decisions moving forward. We need to continue to recruit better and better. Has our recruiting improved? No real evidence yet to show that. I do know, that perpetuating a losing program, makes it very hard to recruit.

Tough spot we're in.

Actually, the best part of the Reyes run you talked about was not that it took Pead 60 or 70 yards to run Reyes down. The best part was watching 'Bama run those 70 yards stride for stride with Pead to knock him on his fanny when he got close to Reyes.

Reaction Score
Actually, the best part of the Reyes run you talked about was not that it took Pead 60 or 70 yards to run Reyes down. The best part was watching 'Bama run those 70 yards stride for stride with Pead to knock him on his fanny when he got close to Reyes.

iirc...didnt bama get called for a block in the back on that play ???

that sucked, especially since the block was far enough from the play that it didnt make any difference. And, reyes was at about the 3 yard line anyways, so it wouldn't have helped even it was close enough.

either way....a really fun play to watch. I remember it fondly.

Reaction Score
Ahhh......those were the days.........physical UCONN football.

Now we have "zone blocking" schemes and a running back who goes down everytime a defensive lineman farts.

I have never met GDL, but I am developing a serious dislike for him. Is that right?

Reaction Score
Ahhh......those were the days.........physical UCONN football.

Now we have "zone blocking" schemes and a running back who goes down everytime a defensive lineman farts.

I have never met GDL, but I am developing a serious dislike for him. Is that right?

Gotta watch out for the yard lines too. Those yard lines and hash marks are really good tacklers........LOL.

Reaction Score
iirc...didnt bama get called for a block in the back on that play ???

that sucked, especially since the block was far enough from the play that it didnt make any difference. And, reyes was at about the 3 yard line anyways, so it wouldn't have helped even it was close enough.

either way....a really fun play to watch. I remember it fondly.
Yes, he got flagged, no, it didn't effect the play (because there was no way Pead was bringing Kendall down within the first 10 yards of contact), and the best part of it was that Bama and Pead were eyeing each other the entire 70 yard spring with 'Bama making clear that if Pead got near Reyes Bama was talking Pead out.

Ah, those were the good old days.

Reaction Score
Wonder if this is grounds for us to drop them from our schedule next year :)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I still say that if a 300 pounder can run 88 yards to paydirt, the ref has to keep the flag in his pocket on a questionable block that had zero impact on his reaching the end zone.

Reaction Score
I always thought DanO and Ambrose were close. Maybe all wasn't perfect in Camelot.

Reaction Score
My brother in law played for Towson in mid to late 90's and one of the guys he played with then is on Townson's coaching staff now. He told me that most of the coach's hate Ambrose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom