OT: Oats signs extension | The Boneyard

OT: Oats signs extension

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I thought he might be off to greener pastures after this season.

Buffalo agrees to 5-year extension with Oats

I've been telling people he's staying put for a few years. There's a bunch of stuff outside of basketball that is working for him right now.

Note, this is on top of signing a prior extension LAST season.

I don't think he'll see this contract out tho.

Reaction Score
Its a tough decision for Oats. He is losing his top 3 and 5 of his top 7 next year. Staying would require a tremendous amount of self-confidence. Even if he is as good of a coach as we all think, the next year or 2 will likely look quite different from the past 2 seasons. He has been recruiting very well for his level but there will be a drop off. He is a midwest guy and a couple of Big 10 jobs should open but they aren't great openings. Cuse seems like a great fit but Boeheim will certainly stay until the end of Buddy's career.

Reaction Score
Cripes. Maybe he’s getting paid plenty and likes it there.

Reaction Score
Cripes. Maybe he’s getting paid plenty and likes it there.

There's happy and there's "We'll triple your salary for doing essentially the same job and your kids will never have to work unless you want them to."

Reaction Score
I am not a conference realignment guy but is there a chance for Buffalo to transition to the AAC?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Can you break that down for me. Thank you in advance. I sincerely defer to all the experts. ;)
I mean, logistically the AAC could add Buffalo. That would likely lead to adding another school since that would bring the total schools to an odd number of 13.
But certainly (even as decent as Buffalo has been in football and basketball the last couple years) the University of Buffalo doesn't raise the profile of the AAC. It wouldn't be a good add to the conference in my opinion. The long term viability of Buffalo basketball is a major concern, as there is a pretty good chance Oats will not stay there long term.
Wichita St. had at least developed somewhat of an established basketball tradition, and they don't take up a football spot. Buffalo is riskier and doesn't bring too much to the AAC.
Note- I am not an expert on conference realignment.

Reaction Score
I mean, logistically the AAC could add Buffalo. That would likely lead to adding another school since that would bring the total schools to an odd number of 13.
But certainly (even as decent as Buffalo has been in football and basketball the last couple years) the University of Buffalo doesn't raise the profile of the AAC. It wouldn't be a good add to the conference in my opinion. The long term viability of Buffalo basketball is a major concern, as there is a pretty good chance Oats will not stay there long term.
Wichita St. had at least developed somewhat of an established basketball tradition, and they don't take up a football spot. Buffalo is riskier and doesn't bring too much to the AAC.
Note- I am not an expert on conference realignment.
Thanks for the opinion. Appreciated :)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
These guys are getting smarter- instead of just jumping at the first big offer, they're waiting for the right offer. In the past you'd see stuff like Dan Monson leaving Gonzaga for Minnesota (an all-time what if). Nate Oats isn't leaving for BC just because its an ACC job.

Its good for the bigger schools too. They aren't just grabbing the coach whose team randomly won 2 games in March anymore. Now they actually have to apply some thought to the process.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom