OT: NYT review of Geno's Grille in Storrs | The Boneyard

OT: NYT review of Geno's Grille in Storrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I followed the link to the restaurant site. A decent looking menu with typical Italian restaurant selections. Sort of a mixed review of the food quality though. In any case, the place will probably be a tough ticket on game nights.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Been there a few times and I would agree with the review generally - staff is very friendly and attentive but not all that experienced. Some very good and some mediocre food, a very good wine list and a limited but nice range of hard stuff. I like the ambiance but would agree it is nothing 'special'. The entrees are a little pricy, but the rest is reasonable. Pizzas are not 'american' style overstuffed, but very good. It is a very welcome addition to Storrs - in a city it would be average, in Storrs it represents the top end. And I agree with you VTC - probably not a pre-game destination without reservations and probably not early season with reservations as I expect they may be overwhelmed initially.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Been there a few times and I would agree with the review generally - staff is very friendly and attentive but not all that experienced. Some very good and some mediocre food, a very good wine list and a limited but nice range of hard stuff. I like the ambiance but would agree it is nothing 'special'. The entrees are a little pricy, but the rest is reasonable. Pizzas are not 'american' style overstuffed, but very good. It is a very welcome addition to Storrs - in a city it would be average, in Storrs it represents the top end. And I agree with you VTC - probably not a pre-game destination without reservations and probably not early season with reservations as I expect they may be overwhelmed initially.

You would think he would have hired more waiters from Duke. They are the best in the world.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
You would think he would have hired more waiters from Duke. They are the best in the world.

I disagree. While it is generally accepted that Duke produces the best educated waiters in the world, I have seen no evidence that they are the best waiters in the world.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Duke University 1932 Senior Class Portrait

eisenstaedt_alfred_waiters_watching_sonja_henie_skate_16x20_L.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I disagree. While it is generally accepted that Duke produces the best educated waiters in the world, I have seen no evidence that they are the best waiters in the world.
Geno has oft been quoted as saying that Duke grads work the better restaurants. He made no mention of their quality of education. I always assumed it was the old crony network. No doubt Geno was being humble and assuming his new restaurant was not ready for such an esteemed wait staff. Rumors are that Jeff Walz has been seen in the break room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom