OT: NYT article on Rutgers and the Big 10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: NYT article on Rutgers and the Big 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's a lot of talk to say that you wish you were in our position and that you wish you had expanded like RU did. The last time we played Syracuse when attendance was what UCONN draws now, was about 15 years ago.

Honestly, for a Rutgers poster to visit this board and spew this trash goes over the top. The absolute, total and utter cluster duckK that is the leadership of that athletic department is a total embarrassment. To come to a group of UCONN posters aligned with an institution that has demonstrated success now for decades and shove conference affiliation in our face, because your flawed institution was lucky enough to be in a zip code near NYC, is small person stuff. It shows a lack of understanding and class.

Go pound sand!!

Reaction Score
Leap of faith (for every RU fan) ...

They want us to just have amnesia on all the crap from the vaunted "Birth of College Football" to Jeremy Ito kicking a FB for a win against Louisville. Ignoring all the misdeeds and poor ugly seasons. We haven't had that at UConn. Then, we note that they really haven't been successful in anything else - like NO National Championships. They thought they were good in WBB - that's a 34-6 advantage Auriemma in last 40; and they had some good teams. Football? They are like 3 and 24 against Penn State.

Sure ... we are big bad B1G. We think you should have had to earn that stature.

Reaction Score
That's a lot of talk to say that you wish you were in our position and that you wish you had expanded like RU did. The last time we played Syracuse when attendance was what UCONN draws now, was about 15 years ago.

We didn't cobble together a fraudulent funding scheme. That is a bunch of crap. We didn't have the donor support to do it, so we took the bold move of financing it on our own through bonds....and it has paid off HUGE. We wouldn't be in the Big Ten right now if we hadn't done that....so stop with the jealous attempts to crap on it. It makes you look small.
The best part is, we're paying down the bonds we used to finance construction ahead of schedule, due to increased revenue from better than anticipated attendance, so you really look like a dope for trying to point that out as a negative. It's about the only thing right the previous administration's did right.

You want to talk about foresight? We ACTUALLY built our stadium out to 54K, with plans to easily expand to 65K by adding a second level onto our new end zone seating..... the in-ground support for a second level is there. No need for digging. Just building up. It can be done in an off-season. That's what you call foresight.

There is a better chance of us expanding to 65K, since we are selling out or coming close to selling our home games. We have 32K season ticket holders. You guys are lucky to get to 32K fans....and that's with walk-ups and the other team bringing their fans to help fill your stadium.

That's the truth.

If you have a crowd of 35K everyone at UCONN rejoices. If we had a crowd of 35K people would be screaming murder. We had 47.5K for friggin Norfalk State.

I miss playing you guys, too. That happens when you own a 22-11 overall record against someone and had beaten them 4 out of the last 6 times you played them.

Cable boxes. That's all the last round of expansion was about. Nothing else.

You'd think RU fans would know this deep down inside and be rather humble about that whole thing. RU hasn't earned it's way into the B1G the way Nebraska did. They benefited from geography. As you found out the last time you visited CT, geography may get you into a better conference, but it doesn't win football games. And it sure as hell doesn't erase the stench of embarrassment.

Reaction Score
I admit, we can't touch your hoops facilities. Not even close....and it will take 5-10 years to improve that.

But w e can't even touch UCONN football facilities? Ok, you lost me there. Time for a good laugh. Thanks. At least we own our stadium. That's OUR facility. Not owned by the state, and 40 minutes away from campus. Get back to me when you can call your stadium your own. You pay rent. We don't.

Wait till we start receiving 40M a year from the league, then watch what we do with our football facilities compared to what UCONN does to yours.
I should have specifically stated football practice facility. Until you get a stand alone football practice facility with a PERMANENT indoor field that you can have a full scrimmage on including kickoffs and punts get lost. As for the "Get back to you"...how about you go duckK OFF and SHUT THE duckK UP! Your athletic department is a dumpster fire...your facilities are worse than many of the high schools in your state and you were brought in to the B1G because of the amount of tv sets in your state like has been mentioned before. Brag all you want about your football stadium....you don't have to worry about UCONN anymore...you need to keep up with the Jones's of the B1G...and in that race you flat out S**K and come in dead last!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah. We were bought in for cable boxes, but someone thought our ceiling is high.

Listen...we can all play semantics, and take out the ruler and start measuring length and girth of our facilities. Bottom line, we're in. Fortunatly, we'll start to be competitive with the right people in positions of power and things can start looking up with Lee's drama.

Fwiw, UCONN fans don't know much about us and we don't know much about them. So a lot of what them. That's it. This bickering back and forth is really about high ceiling.

Reaction Score
How do you think you get approval to use the State of New Jersey credit authority for bonds?

You - both the Corzine and the Christie administration - failed in the original presentation of your Sources of Funds for the stadium expansion. When failing, Rutgers does what they always does: begs. Yes, the State saved them. Pernetti probably knew that would happen. Even before the B1G invitation, this was put together to impress the B1G ... and you didn't have the support (on campus or in donors). Makes us look small? NO! I know that you - Rutgers - have a way of just screwing things up. Regularly.

My OVERALL point: B1G took you for cable boxes (and that is that). You don't run any sport to the excellence that UConn does. We would have a better Program in Football. And, we have multiple Programs with legacy longterm coaches.

Hate to bring up ancient history. When UConn was selling out Rentschler from 2003 on, I went to Rutgers a few times. You did not draw 20,000 several times. With a few thin years ... could happen ... you'd be back in that hole.
Can you explain how you can have a better football program, because your base can't sustain one as it is.

Reaction Score
We have been averaging 50K+ a game in football since joining the Big Ten (and was at 46.5K before that) and we're paying down bonds faster than expected because of that. Not sure what your issue is there. Quite frankly, I'll take the way we handled our stadium expansion over how you handled yours every day of the week. Maybe if you handled yours like we did, you would be in the ACC by now, instead of in AAC purgatory, where a 10-2 Temple team goes to a third tier bowl.

Rutgers just had a great hire in football, and in a year or two, I have full confidence we'll get the hoops facility improvements (to go along with additional football facility upgrades we want) now that we have an AD with a track record of fundraising and making the most of political connections with the folks that can pass the legislation we need to provide Govt. support at the same level UCONN has been receiving it for years. We got a to of money from the NJ legislature due to Mulcahy's connections....and NONE from Hermann's time here....because she didn't have any connections. Hobbs has them, lots of them.

As a fanbase, we have never been more excited. I honestly see Chris Ash as being this year's version of Tom Hermann...and it only cost us a relatively cheap 2.2mm/year. Urban Meyer called Ash "an impact hire" and said "he was one of the best coaches I've ever been around."

That's good enough for me.

I think ash is a good hire while I view Hobbs as more of a fix it man than a visionary. Not going to argue about Rutgers place and likely windfall in the B1G.

That said, its not all roses for Rutgers. The NCAA is likely to take a look at the academic issues created by Flood. Rutgers facilities outside of the football stadium are well below B1G average and its going to take a lot of money to upgrade. That money will not be coming directly from the state as the transportation and pension fund mess has to be a priority. Internally, Rutgers athletic facility plan creates a basketball practice facility; but, does nothing about the decrepit condition of the RAC not does it get the school an indoor football practice facility. Plus, Rutgers is has to deal with the $115 million in debt it took on from the UMDNJ merger that just cost it a bond rating declined (AA- to A+), which will make it more expensive to raise more bonds. Lastly, Rutgers has a faculty union that thinks its Princeton North and wants to significant reduce if not eliminate the subsidy that Rutgers supports the Athletic Department with.

Reaction Score
I think ash is a good hire while I view Hobbs as more of a fix it man than a visionary. Not going to argue about Rutgers place and likely windfall in the B1G.

That said, its not all roses for Rutgers. The NCAA is likely to take a look at the academic issues created by Flood. Rutgers facilities outside of the football stadium are well below B1G average and its going to take a lot of money to upgrade. That money will not be coming directly from the state as the transportation and pension fund mess has to be a priority. Internally, Rutgers athletic facility plan creates a basketball practice facility; but, does nothing about the decrepit condition of the RAC not does it get the school an indoor football practice facility. Plus, Rutgers is has to deal with the $115 million in debt it took on from the UMDNJ merger that just cost it a bond rating declined (AA- to A+), which will make it more expensive to raise more bonds. Lastly, Rutgers has a faculty union that thinks its Princeton North and wants to significant reduce if not eliminate the subsidy that Rutgers supports the Athletic Department with.
@mainlinedave RU doesn't have a dedicated indoor practice facility for football? You need to stop worrying about UCONN and START worrying about keeping up with the schools in your conference! No upgrade of the RAC...comical...that place is a dump! Thanks @Mr. Conehead you just torpedoed @mainlinedave rant...LMFAO...GREAT JOB!!

Reaction Score
Can you explain how you can have a better football program, because your base can't sustain one as it is.

Your reading comprehension skills are that challenged? That's not even remotely what he said. Do us all a duck*ing favor and if you are going to visit this board, respond to posts after you read them carefully.

Reaction Score
Your reading comprehension skills are that challenged? That's not even remotely what he said. Do us all a duck*ing favor and if you are going to visit this board, respond to posts after you read them carefully.

Quoting one section of his response. If your focused on the whole thing, that's your biz, but I wanted him to respond to one section, which was specific. Take your feelings out of it and get off of him and give him a chance to respond, then after he does you can get back on and continue.

Reaction Score
Quoting one section of his response. If your focused on the whole thing, that's your biz, but I wanted him to respond to one section, which was specific. Take your feelings out of it and get off of him and give him a chance to respond, then after he does you can get back on and continue.

Eh, fack off. Our "base" sold out for most of the first 7 years in the facility in the Big East. Conference Realignment did a number on us. Unfortunately for us, we don't like in an overpopulated rat's nest that leaches off of NYC's DMA.

To answer you directly, if we got the golden parachute we'd have to expand our stadium. The demand would be there.

Fack off.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Yeah. We were bought in for cable boxes, but someone thought our ceiling is high.

Listen...we can all play semantics, and take out the ruler and start measuring length and girth of our facilities. Bottom line, we're in. Fortunatly, we'll start to be competitive with the right people in positions of power and things can start looking up with Lee's drama.

Fwiw, UCONN fans don't know much about us and we don't know much about them. So a lot of what them. That's it. This bickering back and forth is really about high ceiling.
Or a low floor...

Big Ten: Average attendance was 66,939, down from 70,431 last year. That's largely because of introducing Maryland and Rutgers attendance figures -- which are below most Big Ten schools -- into the conference average. Nine of the 14 Big Ten schools improved their crowds.
The biggest increases among Power Five schools: Texas A&M (21 percent), Maryland (14 percent), LSU (11 percent), Mississippi State (10 percent), Rutgers (9 percent), Florida State (9 percent) and UCLA (nine percent). Texas A&M, LSU and Mississippi State expanded their stadiums this season. Maryland and Rutgers were new Big Ten members.

Interesting that Rutgers improved attendance by 9% over 2013 with a better opponent schedule (Big10 vs AAC) yet Maryland increased 14% - neither is a BIG10 school with the same capabilities as the others, meaning their 'upped' attendance actually dropped the conference numbers...yeah, you were invited for facilities and championship sports teams...

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
@mainlinedave:

Your school sucks, your athletic department sucks, and your football program sucks.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Reaction Score

Gee thanks for giving this long-time UCONN poster direction on what to do the THIS UCONN BOARD!

You miss quoted him. Not me.

..............and don't tell me what to do on this board. You are a guest. Act like one.

Reaction Score
I' really going to miss Coach Flood!

After reading about his shenanigans he undertook with respect Barnwell's academic status, I can't get the theme 'tune' to the Mission Impossible Movies out of my head when I see his name. Maybe he can sell the rights to that story and Tome Cruise can play him in a movie. Actually, Will Ferrell or Steve Carell would be better suited.

Reaction Score
You come here as a guest to our board and talk to 2 regular members like that. @ruthetiger why do you go duckK yourself a s s hole and STAY THE duckK OFF OUR BOARD!! Maybe you should spend more time worrying about how you can upgrade the absolutely pathetic facilities (compared to your B1G conference mates) and less time worrying about what UCONN is doing! The RU athletic Dept is a dumpster fire and now has a AD in charge who's claim to fame is that he fired 2 basketball coaches at Seton Hall. He has absolutely NO clue about D-1 football!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Take your feelings out of it and get off of him and give him a chance to respond, then after he does you can get back on and continue.

Congrats on your promotion to moderator for the Football Board... wait that didn't happen? Oh, then perhaps you should focus on being a good guest rather than telling UConn fans what posts they can or cannot respond to.

Reaction Score
Gee thanks for giving this long-time UCONN poster direction on what to do the THIS UCONN BOARD!

You miss quoted him. Not me.

Well....

....and don't tell me what to do on this board. You are a guest. Act like one.

Reaction Score
You come here as a guest to our board and talk to 2 regular members like that. @ruthetiger why do you go duckK yourself a s s hole and STAY THE duckK OFF OUR BOARD!! Maybe you should spend more time worrying about how you can upgrade the absolutely pathetic facilities (compared to your B1G conference mates) and less time worrying about what UCONN is doing! The RU athletic Dept is a dumpster fire and now has a AD in charge who's claim to fame is that he fired 2 basketball coaches at Seton Hall. He has absolutely NO clue about D-1 football!

I can't stay off the board. Your board is addictive....somewhat.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So the cable numbers are crashing which will make many P5 payouts begin to wither up in the future, and before any of the real (by then Monopoly-type) money kicks in for Rutgers way in the future, the Knights will have gone through all the stringent facility upgrade requirements, begging to Fatboy for more state money, and likely more of the ethical quagmires they have dealt with recently as they do everything and anything try to hoist a rancid product up to a presentable level. Doesn't sound like a good scenario to me, especially when the school is getting butt-kicked in its conference in just about every sport. Just like all those mortgage security bubble investors in 2007 jumped into a cluster-mess at the wrong time and lost everything except the chance to take a big leap off a tall building, Rutgers jumped into the swamp at the wrong time. Sorry about that, because NJ really has some things about it you gotta love.

And the lesson for UConn will be, be careful what you wish for, and sometimes it's better when your fairy-tale dreams don't come true. Some of the other dreams are just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom