OT - Nova Scotia | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Nova Scotia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nova Scotia is still on my list although I think PEI has moved above them. Years ago I had reservations at the Keltick Lodge for a week of golf. I got a phone call two days before the trip and my job diverted me to some sweaty place in Central America. We are still hoping to get there.

A ship I served on visited Halifax in the 60's. Great liberty. :)

I stayed at the Keltic Lodge for a couple of days and played their golf course. A unique and challenging layout. My only warning is that if, like myself, you suffer from a fear of heights, be sure someone is with you to drive because there were some places I couldn't handle on the cabot trail.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'm a fly fishing fanatic, and an Atlantic Salmon Fanatic! I went for the fishing. If Cape Breton and The Cabot Trail isn't Heaven- it must be very close. The people are real & fantastic too.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Following the expulsion of the Acadian settlers there was a large influx of settlers from New England that took the land the Acadians had been forced to leave. Most of the new settlers were from Rhode Island.
I thought I read that a lot of Americans that were loyal to the crown - migrated to the Atlantic Provinces after the Revolutionary war- because of the bad blood/hard feelings!???

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I was born on Cape Britain Island near the Bell Museum referred to above. Parts of the Cabot Trail are more than stunning. Once on a trip back in my teens we were rounding the north tip of Cape Briton on the Trail in the fog and as the fog rose there was a shattered evergreen on the right of the road with a magnificent eagle perched on top. I suspect Nova Scotia's Tourism Agency paid him to sit there for a couple of hours a day.
Rocky , in the 80's in October on a salmon trip- we did the Cabot Trail in a counter clock wise direction. When we were coming off a fealty high peak coming down a range skewer on the backside, a bald eagle drafted right over our windshield. And then seconds later a huge head of Full racked bull moose cane out of this high mountain lake. Eating vegetate toon on the bottom with growth hanging everywhere off his rack. And if your gle had a white head? It may have been the same one- very short hair? Almost bald?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The drive around the northern part of the Cabot Trail is fantastic.

The highlight for me was eating fresh Digby scallops - literally catch of the day.

Other than that, I found it to be a pretty boring place. Outside of Halifax, everything shuts down at 8pm.

The biggest takeaway for me was that they didn't understand why Americans bought Moosehead beer. It's just local swill to them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky , in the 80's in October on a salmon trip- we did the Cabot Trail in a counter clock wise direction. When we were coming off a fealty high peak coming down a range skewer on the backside, a bald eagle drafted right over our windshield. And then seconds later a huge head of Full racked bull moose cane out of this high mountain lake. Eating vegetate toon on the bottom with growth hanging everywhere off his rack. And if your gle had a white head? It may have been the same one- very short hair? Almost bald?

That would be one old eagle - my trip was in 1964.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Occurs to me I should mention Cheticamp on the West Coast of Cape Briton on the Cabot Trail. French Canadian fishing village. We got some ocean run Salmon right of the dock, poached it in the trailer -wrapped in that gossamer cloth whose name escapes me this AM - and it put me onto salmon for the rest of my life. Flavor to die for.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Occurs to me I should mention Cheticamp on the West Coast of Cape Briton on the Cabot Trail. French Canadian fishing village. We got some ocean run Salmon right of the dock, poached it in the trailer -wrapped in that gossamer cloth whose name escapes me this AM - and it put me onto salmon for the rest of my life. Flavor to die for.
Cheticamp was spectacular! There are only a few salmon left in Nova Scotia- the final dagger seams to be the salt water farm raised fish that escape in lg numbers may be spawning with and giving new diseases to the wild fish- and then you've lost thousands of years of genetics and instincts that can't be re captured.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
The drive around the northern part of the Cabot Trail is fantastic.

The highlight for me was eating fresh Digby scallops - literally catch of the day.

Other than that, I found it to be a pretty boring place. Outside of Halifax, everything shuts down at 8pm.

The biggest takeaway for me was that they didn't understand why Americans bought Moosehead beer. It's just local swill to them.
Nightlife is not big up there!!!!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Does anyone on this thread know what a "fiddlehead" is? Or eaten them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom