OT - NHL expanding to Seattle | The Boneyard

OT - NHL expanding to Seattle

Reaction Score
3.7 million population and growing, 14th largest media market, positive economic growth, massive corporate support, relatively high and rising income level, natural Vancouver rival, etc. And, hey, Seattle's won a Stanley Cup. ;)

Reaction Score
I think the NHL will be looking at 4 cities next after Seattle, which are Portland,Hartford, Indianapolis and Quebec City...

Reaction Score
Even split at 16-16 now. Hurricanes were just recently sold but I still have doubts that they'll survive long-term, Panthers as well. Could very well need 2 Eastern Conference cities down the line. Quebec City and Hartford would be perfect. If the Coyotes relocate they can go to Portland or Houston.

Reaction Score
Houston is most likely next in line. The Coyotes would do fine there.

Hard to believe how well Vegas is doing.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I think the NHL will be looking at 4 cities next after Seattle, which are Portland,Hartford, Indianapolis and Quebec City...
Portland's Junior WHL team draws 6,000 - 7,000 average attendance. They have had a WHL rivalry with Seattle; to graduate that the the NHL would be great.

Reaction Score
Portland's Junior WHL team draws 6,000 - 7,000 average attendance. They have had a WHL rivalry with Seattle; to graduate that the the NHL would be great.
I agree Portland would do really well but after adding Seattle, that'd make it a 16/16 balance in each conference so adding another to not only bump up to 33 teams but create another imbalance seems unlikely, especially in a relatively unproven hockey market. If Arizona wanted to move to Portland, that'd be a definite option. I don't see the league moving past 32 teams, so there might be some relocating going on. Florida or Carolina to Quebec is a potential option. I also don't think the existing league owners are too excited about too many more expansion draft structures like the Vegas one which pillaged a lot of rosters.

Reaction Score
Houston would get the Coyotes before Portland. I have zero doubt in that. However, sadly and surprisingly, the Flames and Senators might be on shaky ground.

Reaction Score
Houston would get the Coyotes before Portland. I have zero doubt in that. However, sadly and surprisingly, the Flames and Senators might be on shaky ground.
Ottawa makes sense with their arena situation but that's the first I've heard about Calgary being in a tenuous spot.

Edit - seems I need to read more NHL news, the Calgary thing has been going on for a bit now. I knew their arena was old but didn't know the situation was bad enough that them leaving was on the table. Very strong fan base there, unlike Ottawa.

Reaction Score
Even split at 16-16 now. Hurricanes were just recently sold but I still have doubts that they'll survive long-term, Panthers as well. Could very well need 2 Eastern Conference cities down the line. Quebec City and Hartford would be perfect. If the Coyotes relocate they can go to Portland or Houston.

Would it mean the revival of the Whalers?!

Reaction Score
If Seattle is added, who moves from the Pacific to Central. Vegas? Phoenix?

If Phoenix is bound to move, then would make sense for them.

Reaction Score
Said it before and will say it again, the Whalers are not coming back in Gary Bettman's tenure. Impossible. There's many cities ahead of Hartford now. Mexico City will get a team before Hartford. The most nostalgic the NHL will get with the Whalers is wearing Whalers jerseys in Raleigh or wherever for "heritage" games.

Does the state of Connecticut get a cut from any Whalers merchandise sales since it owns the rights to the Whalers name, logos, etc? :rolleyes:

All pro sports leagues in the United States have a history of leaving behind fanbases for greener pastures. Such is expanding business. However, if Connecticut can make a splash and become a much greater corporate headquarters galore all of the sudden, anything is possible.

Reaction Score
If Seattle is added, who moves from the Pacific to Central. Vegas? Phoenix?

If Phoenix is bound to move, then would make sense for them.
There's no real good options as there's zero chance they move any one of LA, Anaheim, SJ, Vancouver or Seattle. Vegas has integrated themselves well with the Pacific teams and the city has a lot of ties to California in general so it makes sense to keep them there. That leaves Calgary, Edmonton, and Arizona. The Coyotes make the most sense in terms of not breaking up rivalries but it would be a lot of extra travel for the division. Also, as sad as it is Arizona relies somewhat on opposing fans traveling from California to boost their sluggish ticket sales. My guess is they'd split off one of Calgary or Edmonton with the justification of putting a second Canadian team in the Central.

Reaction Score
We shared season tix with two friends when the Whalers were in Hartford. It was absolutely wonderful. But I would be happier with the perennial NC$$ championship contenders UConn Huskies playing at the XL Center and nearly selling it out every night. Just sayin' .... Gimme a few more of those BU games with maybe 3K more in the upper bowl seats and I'll be a happy camper. I also wanna be there the night when UConn sells out the XL completely, both top and bottom.

Reaction Score
Seattle's future NHL franchise name possibilities, ranked from Cougars to Kraken The Seattle Seahawks were a PCHL team from the 1930s, originally.
IMHO, you have to love Seattle's mayor calling out Seattle's Stanley Cup championship title win and the Canucks failure to ever win the Cup. IMHO2, Canucks Sockeye or Steelhead are great regional names.

Before Seattle's Seahawks played in the North West Hockey Association (1933-36) and then the PCHL, the Pacific Coast Hockey Association's Seattle Metropolitans were the previously mentioned Stanley Cup champions (defeated the canadiens 1917). Founded a few years earlier by the Patrick brothers (Lester & Frank; NHL Patrick Division), the Metros were the first US-based Stanley Cup champion. The PCHA team died, then a new club, Seattle Eskimos, played in the PCHL (1928-31). Subsequently, Seattle's had multiple other hockey teams with multiple mascots playing in multiple leagues.

Seattle Hockey History in 10 Minutes (more or less)

Reaction Score
Considering the recent finds of opoids etc, in the mussels up there, how about the Stoned Clams?

Reaction Score
The alliteration of Seattle Tsunami sounds good to me, them being on the coast and all... But it's not on the list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom