OT - new old football coach | The Boneyard

OT - new old football coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I thought he deserved a shot elsewhere. I think he deserves another shot back here.

Back in December 2010 during the FSU game (i.e., 89 in a row), RE was in attendance and got s huge ovation. I remember it well.

Reaction Score
There are hundreds of D1 assistants or small college coaches that would have been a better choice.

The notion you can go back to the future is absurd.

Reaction Score
Under the circumstances we are in it makes sense. He was a good recruiter and he had passion. He didn't get along with the Athletic Director at the times and the AD was fires shortly after Edsall departure giving notion that he was right all along. Plus he knows how to win.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Surprise! Surprise! Randy Edsall is walking in that door! :eek:

Again.:rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Under the circumstances we are in it makes sense. He was a good recruiter and he had passion. He didn't get along with the Athletic Director at the times and the AD was fires shortly after Edsall departure giving notion that he was right all along. Plus he knows how to win.
I thought he did pretty poorly at Maryland, but the opposite was true. He inherited a team that was a mess and went 2-10 the first season. 4-8 the next, 7-6 the next (lost their bowl game to Marshall) and 7-6 the following year losing their bowl game to Stanford.

Pretty decent improvement in a conference much tougher than the American. I also like that he was not afraid to fire offensive and defensive coordinators while there. Too often it seems that UCONN's offense has been HORRIBLE and the HC refuses to do anything different, including firing the offensive coordinators.

At the time I thought Diaco was a good hire. In hindsight, he was awful. Between PP and BD, the UCONN football program was run into the ground. Hopefully Edsell has learned from his time at Maryland and Detroit and is poised for an even better run at UCONN. Not like we have a choice, but I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
There are hundreds of D1 assistants or small college coaches that would have been a better choice. The notion you can go back to the future is absurd.
Not sure I agree with this. Diaco came from Notre Dame - a blue blood football program if there ever was one. I sort of thought Moorehead would have been a nice choice but maybe he was not available.

Reaction Score
Questions: 1 Would you rather have kept the last 2 FB coaches 2. If not Edsall--who is available willing to take the Uconn job? 3. OR Edsall--who actually one a couple at Uconn.

I don't have to win all games but one or three would be nice!! (against other than High Schools)

Reaction Score
I thought he did pretty poorly at Maryland, but the opposite was true. He inherited a team that was a mess and went 2-10 the first season. 4-8 the next, 7-6 the next (lost their bowl game to Marshall) and 7-6 the following year losing their bowl game to Stanford.

actually Randy inherited a team that was 8-4... he turned things around very quickly (2-10)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Randy agreed to be paid $1 million a year and there is no buy out after 3 years.

He's got 15 years HC experience at two D1 schools as well as NFL experience and he's led his team to a BCS bowl. He's got good recruiting ties from the NE region. If anyone else with that resume was available at that price we'd be doing handsprings. By any reasonable measure it's a good hire.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Where UConn football is concerned, my fanspeed is neutral. I don't have a dog in the
fight - Husky or otherwise. But I hope, for my friends here who follow the FB team, is that they will give Edsall a new and fair chance to do his best. Being negative at this point is both counterproductive and insulting. There's no need for either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom