OT: New England Wedding Venues | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: New England Wedding Venues

Reaction Score
A UConn classmate of mine had her wedding at Sturbridge Village. At first, I thought it was a weird venue to have a wedding, but it turned out to be fantastic and memorable. She was a student on a full ride, so I wouldn't think the venue is over the top in terms of price.

If you are having a smaller wedding, mine was at Montgomery Pinetum in Greenwich, CT and that was a all-around fantastic experience. Very accommodating, affordable and beautiful grounds. Best of luck!
Seconding this - a good buddy of mine had a wedding at Sturbridge Village a few years ago. It was held in their extremely old chapel, and they departed on an old-fashioned horse drawn carriage. There's also a very large, modern banquet hall on the premises. We all had a blast.

Reaction Score
St. Clements Castle in Portland, CT is a nice venue on the Connecticut River.

Reaction Score
Hey Phil As a wedding photographer since 2004, and having worked all over CT and the neighboring states, I can't say I've seen anything in CT that qualifies for rustic. CT couples either go upscale or do the back yard tented affair which I guess you could call rustic yet many are pretty elegant. I think out of state, western Mass, VT or NH have venues to fit your needs and you've got some pretty good leads here. If I can be of further help PM me
I travel, especially for a UConn fan.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Barns seem like a cheap option but stuff really adds up. A lot of the time you are given just the space (for not cheap) and every little thing is added on. You need to get a caterer and often the places aren’t super convenient for catering. And it’s up to you to do the decorating—often day of. Can you imagine how stressful that is?!? My wife and I looked at the Webb Barn, which is beautiful and conviently in Wethersfield. But you need to do. All. The. Work. Clean up and all. Think about things like parking and where people will stay. Someone mentioned the Lace Factory. Another beautiful place but there were TONS of added on fees. Things like chairs, tables, and lights. There ceremony space is very small and there are no hotels.

We ended up doing the Society Room on Pratt Street. Not “rustic” by any meanings but beautiful and charming in its own right and not your typical boring banquet hall.

I’d check out the Glastonbury Boathouse. If we decided to do outdoor ( we got married on April 6th to coincide with my April break from teaching so it was very risky to do outdoor anyways) we would have done there.

Reaction Score
Carriage House. Make sure your guests walk the scenic Rape Trail.
Lol my buddy and his wife who had an outdoor wedding did a kind of photo montage of them and their relationship along the path between parking and the actual reception. Would be hilarious to do that along the trail

Reaction Score
Just got married a month ago. The obvious question is: how much are you looking to spend on just the venue... Many venues have their preferred caterer too so your options become minimal if you want an outside caterer. I got married at 19Main in New Milford - not necessarily “rustic” but it’s an early 1900s bank (and on the cheaper end). They were excellent and very accommodating as they’re quite new on the wedding venue scene. We also looked at Wood Acre Farm in Terryville. Very rustic and a nice facility! Almost booked there but my wife wasn’t too into the rustic thing - horse and buggie, barn, etc. And, if you’re looking for a caterer my father-in-law owns a catering company ;)
PM me if you have any questions!

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I attended a wedding at the Hartford Riverfront Boathouse which was pretty sweet. As long as your willing to risk being shot.:eek:

Hartford Boathouse
Getting shot may be a better outcome then getting married.
Just sayin'

Reaction Score
Also near Harkness is the Plant Mansion at Uconn Avery Point. They hold many weddings til October.

Reaction Score
hey all,

Planning a wedding and looking for venues. Would prefer to stay in CT, but would also consider VT, NH, or the Berkshires in MA. We’d prefer something more rustic—farmhouse kind of thing maybe, or a barn that’s been fitted to hold wedding receptions. Anyone have any good recommendations?

My wife’s friend had hers at a vineyard in Stonington. Was a great venue and very fun. Good indoor / outdoor mix. Definitely rustic, perhaps with a dash of whimsy.

Pm if you want specifics on what / where.

Btw, congrats!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
My wife’s friend had hers at a vineyard in Stonington. Was a great venue and very fun. Good indoor / outdoor mix. Definitely rustic, perhaps with a dash of whimsy.

Pm if you want specifics on what / where.

Btw, congrats!

I think there’s a vineyard somewhere near UConn...Coventry maybe?

Reaction Score
I think there’s a vineyard somewhere near UConn...Coventry maybe?

I remember seeing signs for one driving out 44 near campus; I think near the corner of 44 and 32 (?)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bewitches the mind and ensnares the senses how one of the most wooded states in the nation does not have any wedding venue that "qualifies for rustic."

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I got married in Elizabeth Park and had the reception in The Pond House. Not necessarily rustic but I think it still has the vibe you're looking for.

Reaction Score
Nathan Hale Homestead in Coventry has renovated the old barns Beautiful location

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In either Pittsfield or Rochester, Vermont (just north of Killington), there is a wedding facility that uses a barn for the reception that friends of ours attended once and thought was great. There are lots of places in Vermont around Okemo that have tons of fall weddings, including Okemo itself, Inn at Waters Edge and The Castle.

Did not know this, and I have a house in Rochester VT. I think that is probably the Amee Farm Lodge right on the edge of Pittsfield. Amee Farm Lodge - Vermont Weddings

That's such a pretty building. I remember when they built it.

Reaction Score
Depends what you want with the geography (eg, you could fly every on to Bar Harbor), but DO consider the format which I think is more important. We went out of our way to be sure we did not get a 'BOOM-BOOM' room. They're all the same - crappy, with overbearing / loud DJ music which makes you hit the can. If I get wed invites and the reception is at a 'BOOM-BOOM' room, I send the $$ with appologies. Everybody wins.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom