OT: New Canaan up to 4 D1 commits | The Boneyard

OT: New Canaan up to 4 D1 commits

Reaction Score
Harvard of the South
Unsurprisingly they have all committed to really good schools. Michigan, ND, BC and now Rice. I can't think of the last time one team in the CIAC had four FBS commits

Reaction Score
Unsurprisingly they have all committed to really good schools. Michigan, ND, BC and now Rice. I can't think of the last time one team in the CIAC had four FBS commits
Does this include Drew Pyne, class of 2020, to ND?

Reaction Score
Does this include Drew Pyne, class of 2020, to ND?
Yes. I wouldn't be surprised if he reclassifies or does a prep year though. He's already a year older than his class

Reaction Score
BC can't hold a candle to the other 3.

Reaction Score
New Canaan kids wouldn’t get caught applying to UConn. It’s beneath them.

There’s another Niang coming up also.

New Canaan moves up to LL this fall.

Reaction Score
BC can't hold a candle to the other 3.
It's still a good school. You don't get what you pay for but these are scholarships so it doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
New Canaan kids wouldn’t get caught applying to UConn. It’s beneath them.

There’s another Niang coming up also.

New Canaan moves up to LL this fall.
I made several friends at UConn who were from New Canaan.

Reaction Score
This has to be one of the most talented Connecticut high school football teams that we have seen in a long time.

New Canaan’s Braden commits to Rice
The New Canaan team in 68-69-70 was the best ever in the whole state, they went 34-0 in the FCIAC at a time when the FCIAC was loaded with great ball clubs. Kurt Horton and Peter Demmerle both went to ND to play for Ara Parseghian, Lem James went to Maryland, Bob Kircher played football at Harvard, and Piel Pennington became a star at UMass and was drafted into the NFL in 1974. They also had a great coach in Bob Lynch. I know I'm missing one or two other great players they had.

Reaction Score
The New Canaan team in 68-69-70 was the best ever in the whole state, they went 34-0 in the FCIAC at a time when the FCIAC was loaded with great ball clubs. Kurt Horton and Peter Demmerle both went to ND to play for Ara Parseghian, Lem James went to Maryland, Bob Kircher played football at Harvard, and Piel Pennington became a star at UMass and was drafted into the NFL in 1974. They also had a great coach in Bob Lynch. I know I'm missing one or two other great players they had.
I would say that qualifies as a long time ago... Lol. Seriously when is the last time a CIAC had this many commits? A 90s Bloomfield team?

Reaction Score
I would say that qualifies as a long time ago... Lol. Seriously when is the last time a CIAC had this many commits? A 90s Bloomfield team?
The Darien team from two or three years ago would have had 3 or 4 FBS players except for the fact that a lot of players on that great team decided to play Lacrosse in college. Stueber was recruited by Jim Harbaugh to play for Michigan. The kid that broke Dwight Freney's state sack record went to UPenn to play Lacrosse.

Reaction Score
Before my time, best team in Connecticut in my lifetime was Bloomfield in the late 90's Jermelle Lewis and Andrew Pinnock were 2 of the best backs in the country and Freeney was a monster. Bunch of other kids played D1 ball.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I never knew this existed; thanks!

One question; do kids who graduate EO Smith gain automatic entry to UConn?? I can't believe there are that many kids from Mansfield, nevermind the number that go to Storrs...
The number from Tolland is too high as well. Kids reclassified their "home" to their current place of residence.

Reaction Score
Before my time, best team in Connecticut in my lifetime was Bloomfield in the late 90's Jermelle Lewis and Andrew Pinnock were 2 of the best backs in the country and Freeney was a monster. Bunch of other kids played D1 ball.
Yes, Bloomfield also should be up there alongside New Canaan. I can't think of another CT HS team that had the amount and degree of division one talent that those two teams had. Both also had players (Demmerle and Freeney) who could lay claim to the title of greatest HS player in state history (alongside Bobby V, and a couple others), both teams rewrote the CT High School Football record book, both Freeney and Demmerle did some great things after High School.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, Bloomfield also should be up there alongside New Canaan. I can't think of another CT HS team that had the amount and degree of division one talent that those two teams had. Both also had players (Demmerle and Freeney) who could lay claim to the title of greatest HS player in state history (alongside Bobby V, and a couple others), both teams rewrote the CT High School Football record book, both Freeney and Demmerle did some great things after High School.

1968 West Haven team wasn't too shabby....finished the season ranked #1 in CT and #5 nationally.

1968 New Haven Register Poll
#1 West Haven* (9-0) LL
#2 New London (9-0) L
#3 New Canaan (10-0) M
#4 Fairfield Prep (9-1) L

1969 New Haven Register Poll
#1 Derby (10-0) S
#2 New Canaan* (10-0) L
#3 Fairfield Prep (10-0) L
#4 Seymour (9-1) S

1970 New Haven Register Poll
#1 Stamford* (10-1) LL
#2 Notre Dame-WH (9-0-1) LL
#3 Fairfield Prep (9-1) L
#4 New Canaan (9-1) L

* Waskowitz Trophy Winner (Emblematic of the states best team, the award was discontinued after the 1971 season.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom