OT: Network TV; Is it Just Me | The Boneyard

OT: Network TV; Is it Just Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'll be brief. America's Got Talent and The Voice are something the women in my family force on me. But as I have watched one end and another begin I have zeroed in on what has turned me off. In both to an increasing degree it isn't about discovering talent, it's about interminable, unfunny banter -of course scripted - among the "hosts"... predictable, inane, down right lame. Am I the only one?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
To be fair, I watch 2 "reality" shows - Amazing Race and Survivor.

To be honest, I mostly watch Survivor to root against obnoxious people that are on it. Amazing Race is an interesting show, also frequently featuring obnoxious people.

I watch, with my wife, 60 Minutes, and tolerate to some degree The Biggest Loser, which she actually likes.

And there you have it. What we watch on "broadcast" TV.

Reaction Score
Amazing Race and Survivor only on broadcast TV, the only other thing would be sports. Can't stand anything else!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll be brief. America's Got Talent and The Voice are something the women in my family force on me. But as I have watched one end and another begin I have zeroed in on what has turned me off. In both to an increasing degree it isn't about discovering talent, it's about interminable, unfunny banter -of course scripted - among the "hosts"... predictable, inane, down right lame. Am I the only one?
You are not alone. There is no good television anymore and good music died two decades ago for me. Thank goodness for sports, and thank God for UCONN Women's basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You are not alone. There is no good television anymore and good music died two decades ago for me. Thank goodness for sports, and thank God for UCONN Women's basketball.
There's some good music out there. You just have to look for it. It's not on the radio. And there are some entertaining shows on TV, but not on broadcast TV.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Amen.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To be fair, I watch 2 "reality" shows - Amazing Race and Survivor.

To be honest, I mostly watch Survivor to root against obnoxious people that are on it. Amazing Race is an interesting show, also frequently featuring obnoxious people.

I watch, with my wife, 60 Minutes, and tolerate to some degree The Biggest Loser, which she actually likes.

And there you have it. What we watch on "broadcast" TV.

Oh, God. You had to remind me! They are coming too. The horror. The horror.

Reaction Score

What angers me is that the technology is currently more available and has been around for 20 plus years for me/you to dial up any program from any where--like the old CPTV Uconn WBB games were available over California or Saudi Arabia 20 years ago--but the FCC wouldn't (won't) allow you to have because the sponsors aren't in your area--yet I get chicago restaurant's in Ct as commercials.
Internet TV can't happen fast enough.
The commerical fare TV is Conspicuously Restricted Agewise Pap (read the lead characters).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Nope, my ex-roommate watched The Voice. I couldn't stand the obviously canned "banter" between the judges, especially Blake and Adam. She thought it was hilarious, though. Different strokes, I guess.

Reaction Score
There's some good music out there. You just have to look for it. It's not on the radio. And there are some entertaining shows on TV, but not on broadcast TV.
Two Men and a Boy---does it get any better than that?????

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The only thing I really like about the Voice are the blind auditions. I think (hope) it's unscripted and it's easy to root for the singers to get someone to turn around.

I also actually really enjoy Project Runway and Face Off. They are both different, and to me, much more entertaining than the other reality shows.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In my house the two shows forced on me by the women in the house are AGT and DWTS.

For what it is worth, Eric, I like Face Off as well.

I'm trying Blindspot, as I thought the concept had potential. The first episode was tepid, at best. I'll stick with it another couple of weeks to see if it improves.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yup. TV has come a long way since Carol Burnett, Flip Wilson, the Smothers Brothers, Your Show of Shows, Get Smart...... A very long way.

Reaction Score
I never watch "reality shows". Alone and Afraid, well who is filming? Hokie. I like the History Channel' especially The Vikings, unfortunately it only runs from Feb-April May. All UConn sports,occasionally other teams.nothing Pro.

I do watch some broadcast shows and I do miss the old comedy shows. I gave up on Sat. night Live quite a while ago. I like to laugh but there isn't anything funny it's all nasty stuff. Gabe Inglessia "spelling" he is fun. Jeff Dunham is great.

Reaction Score
b1.gif

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Empire, Power, HipHopAtlanta, Forensic Files, 60 Minutes, FrontLine, Undercover Boss, Judge Judy, Mathis and People's Court, Leave It To Beaver but they took it off and replaced it with 3's Company. I don't watch any of the music/talent shows. I enjoy HGTV as well

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
De gustibus no disputandum est. I would pay good money not to have to watch any of these, except 60 minutes and front line.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Empire, Power, HipHopAtlanta, Forensic Files, 60 Minutes, FrontLine, Undercover Boss, Judge Judy, Mathis and People's Court, Leave It To Beaver but they took it off and replaced it with 3's Company. I don't watch any of the music/talent shows. I enjoy HGTV as well
Hate em all (bolded). Judge Judy is probably the most obnoxious person on the planet. Wouldn't watch Undercover Boss myself, but if the wife is watching it, I can put up with an episode or two.

I'll watch some of the music/talent shows. AI especially. Sometimes you can find a singer who's been in a band that's pretty good. Or their band played with a band that's pretty good. Found 3 or 4 good bands a few years ago that way through Paul McDonald on AI.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I just watch Netflix mostly if I'm not watching sports. I'm working through Cheers and MASH now. Thanks to the internet, it can be the good old days permanently!

Reaction Score
I haven't watched network programming [except for sports and The Big Bang Theory] in years. It was crap when I quit and I'll bet it is even worse now. Reality television is anything but, if it were it would be broadcast live.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Most obnoxious? How about Dr. Phil? (non-news division) Although there may be a whole bunch of folks who are even more obnoxious than Phil and Judy since the last time I watched any of that stuff. Also Jerry Springer comes to mind. Is he still around? If so, why?

Reaction Score
Most obnoxious? How about Dr. Phil? (non-news division) Although there may be a whole bunch of folks who are even more obnoxious than Phil and Judy since the last time I watched any of that stuff. Also Jerry Springer comes to mind. Is he still around? If so, why?

Sadly yes the Jerry Springer Show is still around. I believe Maury Povich is still out there somewhere as well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting that no one has mentioned Elementary which I really like - a very nice rework of the sherlock holmes stories with good actors. Watch a lot of PBS (which is broadcast TV, though not commercial TV), and occasionally get caught up in something like Grey's Anatomy - but I do tend to record everything so I can FF past the commercials. I have never watched the 'reality' TV shows or the 'competition' shows - the reality shows are designed to bring out the worst in the worst people, not unlike most of the daytime sensational talk shows. The DWTS and the various singing competitions - rather watch professionals.

One of the interesting things I learned about British TV that I had never realized before - the reason most of their 'seasons' for serial shows are between 4 and 6 episodes rather than the 20 plus in the US is that they have ONE writer who writes the whole series, not a team of writers - you get a more literary product, more continuity of vision, and you do not have the 'Camel is a horse drawn by a committee' effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom