OT: Need expert input - diistance from B-ball Courts to Media, Hoop Stanchion, Cheerleaders | The Boneyard

OT: Need expert input - diistance from B-ball Courts to Media, Hoop Stanchion, Cheerleaders

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
I was talking to friends today about that gruesome Paul George leg injury that occurred back in the 2014 USA scrimmage and later found myself researching the incident.

That’s how I found out the injury and many like it could be preventable. Turns out the Stanchion (padded part) on the hoop was much closer to the court than NBA rules allow as this game was being played in an NCAA arena.

The article talks about the inconsistent distance and how the photographers are also an injury risk to players. It also goes into how the sidelines vary from arena to arena in the NCAA due to various factors like seating and logos while the NBA keeps them consistent.

Paul George Injury: Why The Stanchions Were So Close, And How To Fix It.

Does anyone have any info or insight on if this information eventually changed NCAA regulations? Are Gampel and XL up to NBA distance code or are we less?

This is something I’ve thought of frequently when watching over the years. The distance between the court and sidelines isn’t enough. We’re putting players in situations with unnecessary risk and not just the athletes. The media and spirit squad as we call it these days, are all in that danger zone.

Looking forward to hearing from the board on this as I imagine someone here knows the deets.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Semi-unrelatedly, I cannot believe how dangerous the raised courts they play on in the Final 4 are. Also, screw you for making picture the Paul George injury.

I feel like at the XL they definitely use a pro set up. Unsure if Gampel is closer.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Semi-unrelatedly, I cannot believe how dangerous the raised courts they play on in the Final 4 are. Also, screw you for making picture the Paul George injury.

I feel like at the XL they definitely use a pro set up. Unsure if Gampel is closer.

I rewatched the play today and it’s actually worse than I remember.

I feel the same towards the raised floors. Would like to see that be avoided and not sure why it has been like that in the first place...

I feel like Gampel being smaller might mean there’s less space. Maybe @tcf15 will have insight here?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22
Top Bottom