OT: Need advice about Knoxville area | The Boneyard

OT: Need advice about Knoxville area

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, my oldest son is an engineer that graduated from college last year. He landed a job with a company in the Midwest that’s putting him and other young engineers through a rotation at some of its sites. In April he’ll be starting a rotation in the Knoxville area. He has a choice of housing and there are two top prospects. One is west of Knoxville, in Cedar Bluff, near the intersection of I-40 and I-140, on the southeast side of the intersection near Kingston Pike. The other option is in Maryville, off Middle Settlements Road. The job itself is in Maryville.

Any advice on which might be a better area for a young professional that likes to go out to restaurants, poke around in interesting stores, and meet other people his age? Any neat things to do in the area? He likes the outdoors but the new and interesting is always a draw whether it’s inside or out. We’ve been to the Nantahala Outdoor Center a couple times as a family and loved it.

And, just as a heads up, LV fans, I’ll be in your area at least once in the next year or so.

Reaction Score
IMHO, shorten the work commute as much as possible. My stepson just moved to the area a month ago, but I really don’t know much about it other than checking Google maps.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm no Knoxville expert - but we went to a few RU games there, Viv's HOF induction and we almost always stop for Calhoun's (ribs) if we are passing near.

That said, we have stayed in the Cedar Bluff area. While it is very appealing for a tourist - there is some mall-type shopping and lots of chain restaurants, I just can't imagine that it would fit the bill for your son. But that's just an impression.

Plus, what uconnfan68 says is usually a good idea. Knoxville traffic is shockingly horrible at rush hour, or at least can be.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
go on VolNation or the Summitt and ask them :oops:

Reaction Score
Hey Nan, am attaching a reply from my nephew (early 30's) in response to your post. He and his wife and in-laws are rabid UT fans, but don't hold that against him - great kid. His future father-in-law practically grabbed his daughter and ran home before the ceremony after I mentioned I was a big Husky fan (maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea!). Hope this helps.

"Way more young professionals in Knoxville vs Maryville, and way more places to eat, shop in the Cedar Bluff and Turkey Creek area. Traffic can be tough in that area, but it generally flows the opposite direction- in to Knoxville from Maryville in the AM, the opposite in the evening- so that’s probably not much of an issue. Also, tons of cool stores within about ten minutes of I-40/140. I’d pick Knoxville over Maryville. Also- I live and work about ten minutes from I-40/I-140 intersection- have lived in Knoxville for several years."

Personally, having lived all over the place the past 40 years, I tend to think commute time is real important, but I'm sure he'll enjoy the area.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Nan, I have been to and through the Knoxville area many times. As you probably know, Maryville is about 20 miles south of Knoxville on U S route 129. Maybe 30 or 35 minutes drive on a normal day. Traffic is often heavy in the Knoxville area, but like everywhere is dependent on direction and time of day. If I were his age, I would rather live closer to Knoxville for the quality of life, and suffer the commute to work. Traffic should be toward Knoxville in the morning and conversely toward Maryville in the evening. I am not familiar enough to suggest a particular place to choose, but the above is general advice, fwiw. Good luck in the burgeoning career to your son. My daughter is also an engineer and faced a similar dilemma at her first assignment (not Knoxville btw ) far from home. She found a nice place to start, and then moved to another after her first year when she knew more about what she wanted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom