OT: Nebraska snuck in the dance today….. | The Boneyard

OT: Nebraska snuck in the dance today…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think………..11-7 in the league and beat Wisconsin and others………..

For some odd reason I have had this feeling for a couple of weeks that we would play them in the first round…..? Don't know why but we'll see…….

Karnac the envelope please - "24-7"

What was the record of the Huskies which MAU guessed…….

Cornhuskers it will be…...;)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
One of the things I've never liked about the NCAA tourney since play-in games started is that league champions get "demoted" to play-ins while teams that accomplished slightly above mediocrity in power conferences slip in as 11s and 12s (yes, four also have play-ins, but IMO, that should be eight).

What I'd like to see is, instead of two play in games featuring league champions, all four of those teams get into the field of 64. so the four currently slotted for play-ins (RMU, Tx Southern, Winthrop, No. Colorado) all go in as 16 seeds and everyone else moves up a couple of notches until all 20 "small" conferences are taken care of.

The play-in games for middling power conference teams would all come as 11 seeds - those eight bubble teams get an extra game. IMO, the conference champions earned something and should get into the "real" tournament, regardless of their RPI. The middle of the pack power teams already failed and should just be happy to make it to Dayton.

You can take those eight teams and seed them. Thus for this year (based on today's rankings), you'd have four 11-seed play-in games featuring FSU/Iowa, Xavier/Pitt, SMU/Cal, and Nebraska/Arkansas. This should have the added bonus of fewer 5-12 upsets, since no power conference teams are on the 12 line.

You have 21 one-bid conferences (which this year includes CUSA). The best of those conference champions goes to the bottom of the 10 line. This year that would be So. Miss.

Thoughts?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Well, yesterday was UConn's worst loss since a 1992 pasting at the hands of St. John's, 90-57.

That year we played Nebraska in the first round and looked awesome, and got killed by Ohio State in the next game.

Maybe that's why.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
One of the things I've never liked about the NCAA tourney since play-in games started is that league champions get "demoted" to play-ins while teams that accomplished slightly above mediocrity in power conferences slip in as 11s and 12s (yes, four also have play-ins, but IMO, that should be eight).

What I'd like to see is, instead of two play in games featuring league champions, all four of those teams get into the field of 64. so the four currently slotted for play-ins (RMU, Tx Southern, Winthrop, No. Colorado) all go in as 16 seeds and everyone else moves up a couple of notches until all 20 "small" conferences are taken care of.

The play-in games for middling power conference teams would all come as 11 seeds - those eight bubble teams get an extra game. IMO, the conference champions earned something and should get into the "real" tournament, regardless of their RPI. The middle of the pack power teams already failed and should just be happy to make it to Dayton.

You can take those eight teams and seed them. Thus for this year (based on today's rankings), you'd have four 11-seed play-in games featuring FSU/Iowa, Xavier/Pitt, SMU/Cal, and Nebraska/Arkansas. This should have the added bonus of fewer 5-12 upsets, since no power conference teams are on the 12 line.

You have 21 one-bid conferences (which this year includes CUSA). The best of those conference champions goes to the bottom of the 10 line. This year that would be So. Miss.

Thoughts?
I feel like the NCAA is punishing the plethora of "Division 1"' in name-only conferences that have all moved up in order to grab a small slice of the tourney pie. I do think as long as these low-majors have automatic bids, they should be in the field of 64. Having said that, you could easily lop off 3-5 conference champs and no one would ever miss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom