OT - Nebraska fires AD effective immediately | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Nebraska fires AD effective immediately

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Everyones experience is a bit different, but when I lived in Nebraska I never felt the hate thing there with Oklahoma. Likewise, I have family in Oklahoma and they comment how they miss the Nebraska rivalry and the unique respect they had for each other. They hate Texas, as does everyone, but Nebraska had a different vibe. Of course you still wanted to beat them more than anything but it was more like playing your brother than the punk down the street.
All of my ex-wife's family, and all of their friends, and everyone in their town hated Oklahoma with a passion. It was Ohio State vs. Michigan on steroids, and it was spectacular.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know what you are talking about. Nebraska has never been a big recruiter in Texas or Oklahoma. From 1999 to 2017, Nebraska has averaged ~3.5 recruits from Texas per year and they have had a total of 4 recruits from Oklahoma in those 19 recruiting classes. They have averaged ~3.2 recruits per year from California.

Nebraska still recruits nationally. From 2010 to 2017, Nebraska has signed 4* athletes from 18 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin.

Finally, if you compare the recruiting classes in the Big 10 West since Nebraska has joined the conference, their recruiting class was #1 in six out of 7 years and they were #2 in the other year. Nebraska should be dominating the Big 10 West and play in the conference championship game 2 out of 3 years.

So you are saying Riley is a great recruiter?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Thank you. You put it absolutely perfectly. Even under Riley and co the Huskers continue to recruit better than everyone in the B1G West. Nebraska has a top 12 class right now by class average on the 247 Composite. The idea that Nebraska shouldn't expect more success than what they have currently is laughable.

I am sold. Nebraska is a powerhouse. Every coach since Tom Osborne must completely suck.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I am sold. Nebraska is a powerhouse. Every coach since Tom Osborne must completely suck.
This might be a top 5 strawman argument in the history of the BY. Well done Nelson.

Reaction Score

You really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Nebraska. Since Osborne left, they have had 2 good coaches, Solich and Pelini, one bad coach Callahan, and one mediocre coach Riley. Their recruiting classes have been the best in the Big 12 West and they should be in the Big 10 Championship game on a regular basis.

Here are the coaches after Osborne left:

Frank Solich coached 6 seasons, 58-19, 33-15 in Big 12. 5 top 20 seasons including 3 top 8 seasons.

Bill Callahan coach 4 seasons, 27-22, 15-17 in Big 12. One top 25 season.

Bo Pelini coached 7 seasons, 67-22, 39-17 in Big12/Big 10. 6 Top 25 seasons.

Mike Riley is in 3rd season, 16-13, 9-8 in Big 10, no top 25 seasons.

Solich is a good coach, but the powers to be at Nebraska feared they were slipping and wanted to upgrade the offense, so they hired Callahan who installed the West Coast offense. Callahan wasn't successful and they hired Pelini. Pelini did a decent job and had a good record, but he never had that breakout season and he was difficult to deal with. Riley was an odd hire and he probably won't last the season.

Nebraska, with the right coach, should be a perennial Top 25 team and have the occasional really good season.

Reaction Score
All of my ex-wife's family, and all of their friends, and everyone in their town hated Oklahoma with a passion. It was Ohio State vs. Michigan on steroids, and it was spectacular.

I agree on spectacular.

Reaction Score
Did Nebraska just make Mike Riley a lame-duck coach?

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska's administrative leadership met with the football coaching staff on Thursday to deliver the news that athletic director Shawn Eichorst had been fired.

University system president Hank Bounds and chancellor Ronnie Green told the entire staff at once -- that is, except third-year head coach Mike Riley. He was informed separately.

"I don't know what that means for sure," Riley said.

Riley, in fact, said later that he thought he was pulled aside out of respect for his relationship with Eichorst.

"I appreciate it," Riley said Thursday, his voice trailing off. "I don't know."

What Riley does likely know but didn't say in public, surrounded by some three dozen reporters for an otherwise inconsequential post-practice briefing ahead of the Cornhuskers' meeting with Rutgers on Saturday, is that he's left to twist in the wind as Nebraska considers candidates to determine the coach's fate.

Nebraska has rarely appeared further from the top than at this moment.

After Rutgers, it goes on the road next Friday to face Illinois and conceivably may not be favored to win again in 2017 -- what with Ohio State and Penn State on the schedule from the Big Ten East and divisional games at Purdue and Minnesota, and home against Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa.

If Riley's team fails to "compete" against the Big Ten's best, this year won't end well for the coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska's administrative leadership met with the football coaching staff on Thursday to deliver the news that athletic director Shawn Eichorst had been fired.

University system president Hank Bounds and chancellor Ronnie Green told the entire staff at once -- that is, except third-year head coach Mike Riley. He was informed separately.

"I don't know what that means for sure," Riley said.

Riley, in fact, said later that he thought he was pulled aside out of respect for his relationship with Eichorst.

"I appreciate it," Riley said Thursday, his voice trailing off. "I don't know."

What Riley does likely know but didn't say in public, surrounded by some three dozen reporters for an otherwise inconsequential post-practice briefing ahead of the Cornhuskers' meeting with Rutgers on Saturday, is that he's left to twist in the wind as Nebraska considers candidates to determine the coach's fate.

Nebraska has rarely appeared further from the top than at this moment.

After Rutgers, it goes on the road next Friday to face Illinois and conceivably may not be favored to win again in 2017 -- what with Ohio State and Penn State on the schedule from the Big Ten East and divisional games at Purdue and Minnesota, and home against Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa.

If Riley's team fails to "compete" against the Big Ten's best, this year won't end well for the coach.

He's going to get fired on the sidelines today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom