OT: NCAA May Be Forced To Come Down Hard on UNC & Williams | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA May Be Forced To Come Down Hard on UNC & Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's interesting how few academic casualties you now see when compared to 20+ years ago. You would think many schools get their student athletes the help they need. However, I think many go the UNC route. How many drug tests do you need to fail nowadays, 10+. This is moving to semi-professional and I don't see the fun in that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's worse than that. Summer classes, winter break seminars, independent studies, every school does it. Not to the institutional fraud that UNC puts on, but let's not kid ourselves. The educational experience for top athletes is different the the general student body. It just is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not a Calipari hater, as many are, but how is it that teams of freshman, making a transition from high school to college, aren't having any academic disqualifications?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I'm not a Calipari hater, as many are, but how is it that teams of freshman, making a transition from high school to college, aren't having any academic disqualifications?

It's not because they are all taking Chemistry and Pre-Med Biology, that is for sure.

You get them in and do summer school in small focused classes to get them started. Then your "typical" freshman fall semester. Finally, cap that off with 2 or 3 online only courses in the Spring and ship them off to the NBA. Rinse and Repeat.

Edit- I forgot the Winter Intersession field trip to a historic landmark near a neutral site game that counts as a credit for each kid on the team.

Reaction Score

Because the classes that D1 revenue athletes take are, for the most part, absurdly easy?

I mean, don't get me wrong, at UConn they all study particle physics and advanced mandarin, but everywhere else the athletes take easy classes.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
In the old days you needed 12 hrs a semester to be considered a full time student. I don't know what the APR requires for progress towards a degree but let's call it 15 per or 30 for the year.

Frosh McD, UK takes 3 summer session classes for 9 hrs before practice even starts, takes another 12 in the fall, 3 over winter break and 6 independent study hrs in the spring before heading to draft camp. Voila, 100% APR.

UNC, didn't even pretend they were real classes.

Reaction Score
Because it is ridiculously easy to get kids through with the resources at these big schools. If a kid wants to pass he will pass they have all tutors a kid needs for them.

Reaction Score
I believe it when I see it.

If the NCAA doe anything to UNC basketball, it will be a shock.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Cuse cheated for 10 years and got almost nothing. UNC will be banned from next year's tournament, lose the same 12 scholarships and Roy will have to sit out some games maybe 3. They won't pull any wins or banners because they won't dive into the eligibility question as regular students were also taking those same classes.

Book it.

Reaction Score
Cuse cheated for 10 years and got almost nothing. UNC will be banned from next year's tournament, lose the same 12 scholarships and Roy will have to sit out some games maybe 3. They won't pull any wins or banners because they won't dive into the eligibility question as regular students were also taking those same classes.

Book it.

And the sanctions will relate to activity beginning in 2010, just like Syracuse's beginning in 2004, so they don't have to get into the dirty business of invalidating titles.

Reaction Score

Book it.
They took away a lot of Boeheim's wins and they did go back 10 years, conveniently starting the year after. If Roy doesn't lose a title it's a sham.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
What has college basketball become when DIII Williams College is committing rules violations to get a competitive advantage over Skidmore and Middlebury??? ;)

Reaction Score
College basketball has been a cesspool for decades. Worse than SEC football. It's just starting to come out.

Reaction Score
emmert.jpg

Reaction Score
College basketball has been a cesspool for decades. Worse than SEC football. It's just starting to come out.

It's not even remotely close to SEC football, which operates on a completely different plane. How could you possibly say that? They're not even comparable. Standard operating procedure among the football programs in the SEC would look like a death penalty case for someone who only pays attention to basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody loses titles or wins. The games happened, the nets were cut down.

Only accountants would care about 'vacated' wins.

Reaction Score
The 'good old boy' schools are protected by the NCAA unfortunately. It was interesting watching ESPN's '30 for 30' and how SMU football became a scapegoat because she wasn't considered a premiere program with a tradition to fall back on. They would have never impaled a historic program like Alabama or Texas if the tables were reversed. No way in hell.

Reaction Score
Not even within 10 miles John & Big Ern. There is nothing like the mud pit that is aau for example. Football has its slimewads, no doubt but pretty much everyone connected with hoops is on the take in some way. Fromm AAU "coaches" and administrators to players' advisors. Honestly if you see it up close it will make your skin crawl.

Reaction Score
Not even within 10 miles John & Big Ern. There is nothing like the mud pit that is aau for example. Football has its slimewads, no doubt but pretty much everyone connected with hoops is on the take in some way. Fromm AAU "coaches" and administrators to players' advisors. Honestly if you see it up close it will make your skin crawl.

Having actually observed the process up close, we'll agree to disagree. SEC football in an entirely different animal. I know you've always had some bizarre disdain for the kids that play college basketball these days, so I'm sure that's informing your over-stated conclusions, but you're just not correct.

Reaction Score
NCAA coming down hard on UNC, cough BS, cough BS, cough BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom