OT- NBA to try nicknames | The Boneyard

OT- NBA to try nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The NBA is thinking about putting nicknames on the back of jerseys. A Nets-Heat game would definitely be one of the games with nicknames on the back. It would be King James instead of James, The Truth instead of Pierce, and Shuttlezworth instead of Allen. What do you guys think?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Kills the brand value and the credibility of the league IMO. Draws parallels to And1. The jersey is sacred. Numbers are retired. Your name is the measure of your integrity and your accomplishments. You fight to get it on that jersey, and you fight to get that jersey into the rafters. Don't F with that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
lame

Reaction Score
This probably has something to do with money. You know these jerseys with the "nicknames" will be on sale at all the athletic stores the day after they play the game.

Reaction Score
Much more of an idea for the NBAs younger crowd. I like the idea for a couple games here and there but not for an entire season. They will sell tons of jerseys.

Reaction Score
Kills the brand value and the credibility of the league IMO. Draws parallels to And1. The jersey is sacred. Numbers are retired. Your name is the measure of your integrity and your accomplishments. You fight to get it on that jersey, and you fight to get that jersey into the rafters. Don't F with that.

I don't think there is any intention to make this a regular thing, let alone a permanent change. As far as the jerseys being "sacred," we already have throwbacks, those hideous camouflage unis that MLB breaks out from time to time, etc. One game with dumb nicknames on the back isn't killing anything, just like it didn't kill the NBA's brand when they wear "Los Lakers" and "El Heat" jerseys.

Reaction Score
its cool for the dozen or so legitimately well-known nicknames in the league, and then gets super lame for the rest of the league who comes up withe their own ie Shane Battier (couldn't get "batman" due to trademark issues so he'll opt for shaneo instead...)

Reaction Score
Ted Turner tried this with the Braves in the mid 70's when he was trying to get TBS off the ground.

The two i remember were:

On the back of Marty Perez' jersey it said Taco

On the back of Andy Messersmith's ( their first big free agent signing) it said Channel 17( the channel that TBS was originally on).

I think MLB had Turner remove the nicknames pretty quick.

Reaction Score
I'd have to guess this is almost all for money. And for a couple games its not bad, except for the players who don't have a decent nickname.

Reaction Score
Don't really understand why anybody would have a problem with this, assuming it's just for one or two games. For one, it would be totally worth it just to see "EZ Pass" on the back of Kemba's jersey and "Shuttlezworth" on the back of Ray's jersey. Also, the fact that everybody has to come up with a nickname that has to be approved by the league makes it interesting. We'll get to find out which players are creative and which ones are complete douches. Maybe some of these guys come up with their own nicknames and they stick - it's a great move by the league from a marketing standpoint, and IMO, it's why the NBA is usually ahead of other leagues in terms of innovative thinking/appealing to younger fans.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I had a "The Truth" jersey when I was in like 7th grade.

Reaction Score
Chicharito has really ruined the Manchester United brand. And every Brazilian footballer ever.

Players will largely be mocked if they do this, so don't worry, it will rarely be done.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
This should only be even remotely considered for the all-star game, if for anything.

Reaction Score
"those hideous camouflage unis" that MLB breaks out are to honor the military and veterans. You think that is lame? Wow!

I don't think there is any intention to make this a regular thing, let alone a permanent change. As far as the jerseys being "sacred," we already have throwbacks, those hideous camouflage unis that MLB breaks out from time to time, etc. One game with dumb nicknames on the back isn't killing anything, just like it didn't kill the NBA's brand when they wear "Los Lakers" and "El Heat" jerseys.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Interesting...new Commissioner starts off with a clunker of an idea. Hopefully he'll see that the nicknames belong on the playground.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This is what the pre-season is for.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
They tried to do that once on The White Shadow but Coach Reeves but the kibosh on it pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom