OT: National Southern Food Day | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: National Southern Food Day

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So do you deep fry your squirrel or cook it over an open pit?
I like my road kill raw. I then like to wipe my hands on the circling pack of wild dogs. Man, that's eatin'.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
we had fried chicken (pretty much the only chicken I'll ever eat), grits (the slow kind), biscuits, gravy, home baked fruit cake, and corn likker. thank you southern friends. great cold weather food, though we kinda groggy today!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hand in you southern card immediately or face the consequences.

Man every Christmas I tell myself... this is the year imma eat some collards..... and every christmas its the last thing on the plate... and invariably it goes to waste. :oops: Ill try again..... eventually....... i may have to take a road trip down to the eastern part of the state to get some.

Tell ya what...... as penance.... I'll eat some fried chicken, vinegar based pork bbq.... some hushpuppies.... 2 pieces of fat back...... washed down with some good ol Muscadine wine.... and a piece of sweet potato pie. :oops:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Texas is not south. It's southwest. There's a difference. Parts of east Texas are kinda south.

Best southern foods: (where do I start?)
Fried chicken with rice and gravy
Pork chops with baked apples
Biscuits with bacon gravy (just had a dose of that)
Ham with cabbage and fried potatoes ( not french fries, fried potatoes)
Pot roast with potatoes and carrots (this one may fit the whole U.S.)

None of those are exclusive "southern" foods although they may be eaten in the south. I have a fried chicken recipe from my great grandmother from around 1900. She had never been further south than 10 miles below the Quebec border.

I grew up on a farm. Pork chops, ham hocks (we called them pigs feet), biscuits and gravy were all standards on our French Canadian table. Ham and cabbage is an Irish dish just as common in Boston as it is in Savannah and beef pot roast is a traditional French Canadian dish better known as Yankee pot roast.

The same goes for other "southern" foods like fried catfish (we called them bullheads), corn bread, fried frog legs and chicken and biscuits. All of them common dinner fare when I was a kid in Northern VT.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Man every Christmas I tell myself... this is the year imma eat some collards..... and every christmas its the last thing on the plate... and invariably it goes to waste. :oops: Ill try again..... eventually.. i may have to take a road trip down to the eastern part of the state to get some.

Tell ya what. as penance.... I'll eat some fried chicken, vinegar based pork bbq.... some hushpuppies.... 2 pieces of fat back. washed down with some good ol Muscadine wine.... and a piece of sweet potato pie. :oops:

Best pork BBQ sauce ever. One thing I really miss since moving back north is our annual pig roast. A split 100 lb hog, slow cooked over oak coals and slathered with a vinegar BBQ sauce packed with salt and cracked pepper. Lots of sauce on the side for dippin'. Served with potato salad, cole slaw and Jalapeno hush puppies. :)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Best pork BBQ sauce ever. One thing I really miss since moving back north is our annual pig roast. A split 100 lb hog, slow cooked over oak coals and slathered with a vinegar BBQ sauce packed with salt and cracked pepper. Lots of sauce on the side for dippin'. Served with potato salad, cole slaw and Jalapeno hush puppies. :)

homer.jpg

I should have never started this thread Head bang

There is a place here in town that puts bits of bacon and bacon drippings in their potato salad. :eek::eek: First time i had it i almost fainted :D

You mention cole slaw..... do you prefer the white slaw or the red slaw?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So do you deep fry your squirrel or cook it over an open pit?

I'm not so sure that's what they mean by "appreciating" squirrel. :rolleyes: I can honestly say I've never eaten it. I don't doubt there are some Northwesterners who do, but it's not exactly a prized local favorite.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Man every Christmas I tell myself... this is the year imma eat some collards..... and every christmas its the last thing on the plate... and invariably it goes to waste. :oops: Ill try again..... eventually.. i may have to take a road trip down to the eastern part of the state to get some.

Tell ya what. as penance.... I'll eat some fried chicken, vinegar based pork bbq.... some hushpuppies.... 2 pieces of fat back. washed down with some good ol Muscadine wine.... and a piece of sweet potato pie. :oops:
Slacker. No, I'm just too hurt. There's no coming back from this.

Reaction Score
I put the hurt bigtime today on a pot of stewed okra n tomato that I’m gonna serve my wife for dinner tonite along with some fricaseed chicken. Did this not knowing it was a commemorative day. Some of you folks gotta learn how to eat. She’ll be in a state of bliss!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I put the hurt bigtime today on a pot of stewed okra n tomato that I’m gonna serve my wife for dinner tonite along with some fricaseed chicken. Did this not knowing it was a commemorative day. Some of you folks gotta learn how to eat. She’ll be in a state of bliss!
Stewed okra n tomatoes ... yum, pure Southern goodness. And one of my favorite sides at Threadgill's!

Reaction Score
I grew up on a farm. Pork chops, ham hocks (we called them pigs feet), biscuits and gravy were all standards on our French Canadian table.

Ham hocks here are the knee joint of the back leg. Pigs feet are actually the feet of the pig. I like ham hocks, but haven't tried and don't plan to try pigs feet. They're both in the grocery stores here.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Slacker. No, I'm just too hurt. There's no coming back from this.

Take a look at this vid...... you can skip it to about the 2:50 mark

Collard green sandwiches. Fried collard greens in between two pieces of corn bread.... topped with fat back

I might be willing to try that... they make it look appetizing.

Reaction Score
Had no idea that Whole Foods sold collards.

In my WF, in addition to the prepared-food display case, there's an area in back, near the sushi, where you can get some roasted chicken + 2 sides (they have other proteins too, but I only do the chicken). The sides are usually mac+cheese, roasted veggies, bread pudding, collard greens, and a few other things. They're all delish.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Do Whole Foods collard greens count? :D

Only kind I've ever had. Quite tasty.
You take 'em where you can get 'em. Sure it counts.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You take 'em where you can get 'em. Sure it counts.

video is just 4 minutes long.... but if you want the highlights.... 1:27 talks/shows about the eastern NC bbq style 2:15 talks about the Pig in a Puppy Sandwich..... pork bbq and cole slaw sandwich in between two long hushpuppies :eek: and last but not least 2:55 talks about Collard Greens and the way they prepare it Eastern NC Style.....

I definitely plan to make the 2.5 hour drive down to eat at this restaurant... probably in the spring..... and I promise to sample the collards @JordyG

Reaction Score
Being from Maryland, I grew up south of the Mason Dixon line. But I lived in the western part of Maryland in the Appalachian Mountains not far from the the Pennsylvania border. My diet was part Southern, part Pennsy Dutch/Mennonite and can best be summed up by a cook book that I found in a hole in the wall gift shop on Ocracoke island titled "White Trash Cooking.":oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom