OT: National Southern Food Day | The Boneyard

OT: National Southern Food Day

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just found out that today is national southern food day...... and I live in the South Head bang

So if any of yall live south of the Mason Dixon... and north of Interstate 10 in Florida.... there's about 7 hours left in the day to indulge.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Give me some good Cajun food and I'm satisfied:p, though my dietician would be having a heart attack just looking at it.:eek:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You would know.

Not indulging today, but I do like non-seafood Cajun, I like sausage gravy - but please, hold the grits.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Did not know it was Southern food day, but my wife is an Alabama native so many days are Southern food days here. She is just taking a big pan of homemade biscuits out of the oven now! :D

Reaction Score
Did not know it was Southern food day, but my wife is an Alabama native so many days are Southern food days here. She is just taking a big pan of homemade biscuits out of the oven now! :D
Love homemade biscuits with real butter and strawberry jelly and my wife makes the best biscuits in the south!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just found out that today is national southern food day. and I live in the South Head bang

So if any of yall live south of the Mason Dixon... and north of Interstate 10 in Florida.... there's about 7 hours left in the day to indulge.
Well hell's bells. I didn't know. I'll have to head to Threadgill's today for some chicken fried steak and fried green tomatoes and collard greens and...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just found out that today is national southern food day. and I live in the South Head bang

Today is also Squirrel Appreciation Day (I'm not kidding). The calendar has gotten so crowded with special occasions that some of them have to share the day with something else.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I didn't know. Yipyeah! What a great day for American food lovers. Cornbread tonight! Triadduke for president.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you using a southern hemisphere calendar by any chance? My calendar says today is National Hot sauce day. Since hot sauce is associated with southern food it is the same day? I had some chili for dinner with hot sauce. Is chili considered southern or do I need to go eat again to be safe?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Southern foods I love to hate -

Chitlins
Grits
Okra
Boiled peanuts
Collards
I'm sure there's more but I been away from Dixie for a long time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You would know.

Not indulging today, but I do like non-seafood Cajun, I like sausage gravy - but please, hold the grits.

You missing out.... Shrimp and Grits... :)

Today is also Squirrel Appreciation Day (I'm not kidding). The calendar has gotten so crowded with special occasions that some of them have to share the day with something else.

Ive never eaten squirrel...... but deep fried squirrel topped with white gravy might be something that could be tasty.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well hell's bells. I didn't know. I'll have to head to Threadgill's today for some chicken fried steak and fried green tomatoes and collard greens and...

Thats one texas food that I miss..... chicken fried steak with white gravy ... .. hammercy

I didn't know. Yipyeah! What a great day for American food lovers. Cornbread tonight! Triadduke for president.

wayment.jpg

Before you cast that vote....... I will say that I dont eat cornbread ...

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thats one texas food that I miss..... chicken fried steak with white gravy ... .. hammercy

View attachment 38617

Before you cast that vote.. I will say that I dont eat cornbread ...
A southerner that doesn't eat cornbread? Waiter, check!

JordyG

Reaction Score

Chitlins
Grits
Okra
Boiled peanuts
Collards
I'll tell you what. While they're cooking chitlins are the devil's own urine food. But once cooked, and over rice with gravy? Angel food. Nothing like 'em. And Collards? Made with neck bones, hamhocks? You're kidding right? But okra. They have to be fried. If they're boiled, goodness they're nasty. My friend once said he went to a friends house and they served boiled okra. When he couldn't tell the difference between the snot coming out of the nose of his friends younger brother and the okra juice (slime) on the plate....

Reaction Score

Chitlins
Grits
Okra
Boiled peanuts
Collards
I’m a borderline Swamp Yankee, but have family roots in Mississippi. I was raised on grits for breakfast on cold mornings. I still love them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So do you deep fry your squirrel or cook it over an open pit?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've eaten squirrel. Par boiled, dusted in seasoned flour and pan fried in bacon grease. Not bad (better than chitlins) but not a favorite.

Reaction Score
So do you deep fry your squirrel or cook it over an open pit?
Squirrel like most country food was eaten out of necessity and became desirable for those that got familiar with it. It is Nostralia.
Are you using a southern hemisphere calendar by any chance? My calendar says today is National Hot sauce day. Since hot sauce is associated with southern food it is the same day? I had some chili for dinner with hot sauce. Is chili considered southern or do I need to go eat again to be safe?
Chilli is Tex Mex in nature. Brown beans are southern.
Just don't eat green chilli it is the hottest. Or stuff chilli peppers--it is acquired eating.
C

Reaction Score
I'll tell you what. While they're cooking chitlins are the devil's own urine food. But once cooked, and over rice with gravy? Angel food. Nothing like 'em. And Collards? Made with neck bones, hamhocks? You're kidding right? But okra. They have to be fried. If they're boiled, goodness they're nasty. My friend once said he went to a friends house and they served boiled okra. When he couldn't tell the difference between the snot coming out of the nose of his friends younger brother and the okra juice (slime) on the plate....

Correct on all counts!

Reaction Score
Texas is not south. It's southwest. There's a difference. Parts of east Texas are kinda south.

Best southern foods: (where do I start?)
Fried chicken with rice and gravy
Pork chops with baked apples
Biscuits with bacon gravy (just had a dose of that)
Ham with cabbage and fried potatoes ( not french fries, fried potatoes)
Pot roast with potatoes and carrots (this one may fit the whole U.S.)

Reaction Score
And by the way, y'all is always, always, always PLURAL! Y'all is 2 or more. All y'all is a whole bunch of people. Singular is you, just like up north. You guys, or guys, is NEVER used. Correct is y'all.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Texas is not south. It's southwest. There's a difference. Parts of east Texas are kinda south.

Best southern foods: (where do I start?)
Fried chicken with rice and gravy
Pork chops with baked apples
Biscuits with bacon gravy (just had a dose of that)
Ham with cabbage and fried potatoes ( not french fries, fried potatoes)
Pot roast with potatoes and carrots (this one may fit the whole U.S.)
Texas is a blend of south and southwest. It neither is nor isn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom