OT - Music Genre | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT - Music Genre

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hot 8 Brass Band... I got their first album which has an amaaaaaazing cover of Sexual healing..

Hot 8 Brass Band? You're kidding me! A few years back we were in New Orleans and we were staying across the street from a place called Howlin' Wolf. We ended every night with a final pop or two there (great late night sandwiches by the way). We are going back to NOLA in November for the Tulane FB game and was checking out Howlin Wolf in advance. Who is playing there that Sunday? You guessed it. I was wondering is they were any good. I guess we will have to check it out!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Just got back from a Gregory Porter Band show at SCSU.... This guy is gooooooood!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You should check out Hiatus Kaiyote then.

Props on this recommendation man. I'm really feeling this. I love how they start up with one type of music and the songs can tranform countless times. Familiar yet different. And so much for my ears to take in. each song requires about 50 listens lol

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What's now typically called "Americana" is cranking away right now, especially with the cr*p that "country" radio plays....

The Mavericks, Lucinda Williams, Sturgill Simpson, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell, Jason Isbell, John Hiatt, Ry Cooder, Los Lobos, Kasey Chambers, Shovels & Rope, Alabama Shakes, Buddy Miller, Lydia Loveless. Hard Working Americans....
If you like those bands, you might want to check out Red Wanting Blue.

Reaction Score
mets1090 said:
Most of what I listen to is your standard rock stuff. Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Foo Fighters, and all the other standard bands of those individual time periods. Alter Bridge is my favorite but I also dig a lot of metal: Maiden, Megadeth, Dream Theater, and Tool to name a few. My tastes span a lot of genres but that kind of stuff is my wheelhouse. I think people generally refer to things as a guilty pleasure if they think that style just goes against their roots in music. I think if you go long enough thinking "Hip hop is terrible, I only listen to true musicians" and then find out that there are some truly gifted hip hop artists, it feels like a guilty pleasure even though their talent is readily apparent to an unbiased listener. Speaking of which, biggest guilty pleasure bands is always a fun topic. I'll jump in with absolutely no shame and say that despite my metal background, I'm a sucker for Paramore which is about as pop punk, 14 year old girl band as you can get. Somehow ended up listening to a full album of theirs a year or two ago and realized there's a bit more talent in that band than you might think.

Paramore is GREAT live.

Reaction Score
David 76 said:
Outstanding Concert experiences anyone? I guess I'd have to start with the free ticket to Springsteen at MSG, lost my wallet and got it back (minus the cash) and none of that took anything away from the amazing performance. Sneaking in to the New Haven Arena to see James Brown was a musical and cultural experience for our little band of white boys. Elton John at the final concert at the NH Arena, when he was still, for me, at his best And my first concert ever was at Yale Bowl (yes, that used to happen) was Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Co. with Gordon Lightfoot as the warm-up

My first show was Beastie Boys with Murphy's Law and Public Enemy at the NH Colosseum. Will never forget that. 1987?

I have been around the music business for a while so have been lucky to get to the Grammys a few times and some festivals (iHeartRadio etc). I love live music and live sporting events. I like events with multiple artists because you get exposed to music outside of your wheelhouse.

As an example, I would have never considered myself a Taylor Swift fan or a Coldplay fan but after seeing them live last year I had a very different impression of them. Now I've gone back and found a bunch of Coldplay that I really like.

I'm all over the map with music. Based on mood, etc. I think there is good and bad music in all genres. People should listen to what makes them feel good. That's the point. My only beef with people is when they don't have an open mind.

I've also been lucky to be around some artists when they were young (like Wiz Khalifa) and it is exciting to see someone brand new and know they are a star before they know it.

Reaction Score
I have respect for all genres of music, but I mainly listen to hip-hop and dance music. Never country or metal.

Reaction Score
Because I'm a middle-aged, suburban white guy and I'm sure I look plenty silly busting out the Biggie, for example.

The music speaks of a life I know nothing about and often uses extremely inappropriate and offense language that I don't condone or use generally myself. So I feel a bit guilty when I'm jamming it and singing it at the top of my lungs. And I'm sure it ain't pretty.

Why would you look silly listening to The Notorious BIG? If you think you look silly then I guess you look silly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom