OT: Muhammad Ali passed away this evening at 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
image.jpeg

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
There are so many things I like and appreciate about having access to this board. There are so many people from different backgrounds and cultures from across the country and around the world, all gathered together here because we share an attraction to WCBB in general, and UConn women's basketball specifically. There are a lot of things I know and have experienced through my travels in life, and there are many other things that I do not know because of insights I never received because of people I never got to meet, or things (situations) I never got to experience.

We are all the sum total of our own existence and experiences. None of us has traveled the exact same path in life. Our outlook or understanding may not be the same as others, and our appreciation (or tolerance) for certain aspects of life maybe different. I continue to be impressed, entertained and enlightened by the posts and comments written here. I spend at least an hour or two a day here, reading all of the posts and comments that you've taken the time to write. There are some very intelligent, informed and witty folks here.

I'm more informed now about the topics/people (players/potential recruits) discussed here than ever before. I like UConn women's basketball. Because I do, THIS is the best place to be. The more I know, the more I know. I've heard it said that "there's no place like this place around this place, so this must be the place".

To ALL of the posters and contributors here in the yard (and the mods), thank you. I appreciate you all. You guys rock!! ;)

Carnac, the unofficial seer of the boneyard.
Puhleez, Carnac, you are making my teeth hurt!!!

Reaction Score
I still rank Ali - Frazier #1 as the greatest single sporting event in my lifetime.

Reaction Score
I got a tape recorder in high school and used it to tape the radio broadcast of the Ali v. Liston fight. It was a tremendous event.

I agree that the Ali v. Frazier rivalry was one of the best in sports.

To this day, I have gotten only 2 autographs, both for my son. I got one from Jack Nicklaus at Pebble Beach. The other was from Ali. I was sitting at Chicago Midway Airport waiting for a flight. The person across from me sure looked like Ali. No one other than a personal assistant was anywhere near him. I looked and looked and decided it was him. Then I struggled with approaching him or giving him privacy. I went up to him and said, "Champ, sorry for disturbing you, but would it be possible to get your autograph?" He kindly pulled out an Islam pamphlet from his briefcase and autographed it. We chatted briefly and shook hands. I think Ali was in his early 50s at the time, but he looked magnificent.
Shook his hand at an airport. He looked smaller than I expected, but he wasn't young anymore. I've never asked anyone else for the privilege of shaking their hand.

Reaction Score
I saw Muhammed speak on our college campus in 1970. I pretty much idolized him at that time, as did all the other tens of thousands of students gathered there on an outdoor mall. He seemed much bigger than his 6'3", 210+ lbs. There was a glow - like there was a force field around him where it would be impossible for anyone to penetrate. He was really riled up - VERY charismatic, so he got others really riled up too. Specifically all the black people on campus. As a white person it was kinda scary. But he didn't incite people to violence. But I couldn't believe the power of his personality.

A few years ago I had floor seats at a Phoenix Suns game. My buddy and I noticed Muhammed sitting in similar floor seats at the other end. At halftime I walked down to say hello. His wife was very nice - got his attention even though Muhammed was shaking and couldn't really raise his head to look up. Very nice moment until his security guys grabbed me and "asked" me to leave. Also saw him at a Diamondbacks game (he was in the front row there too, of course).

I can't believe he's gone. Very very special person

Reaction Score
Disturbed? Trash talking?
Maybe I can add the perspective of a young, voiceless Black boy who grew up in the housing projects of Bed-Sty, Brooklyn. He spoke for me and many others in this country. He showed me that I could grow up and confidently project my self image. He helped me see that I didn't have to quietly smile and bow my head and nod and hide my light (remember these were the 60's and 70's) where Blacks were sometimes beaten -- I was -- for merely looking at a White person. So here was a strong, smart, Black man saying "I am the best -- the greatest of all time" and it gave me confidence to go to an Ivy League college and Ivy League law school. To ultimately sit with three Presidents of the United States and hold myself erect.

So for some it was "trash talking". For me (and I dare say millions of other voiceless people) it was necessary. It was all a part of his social commentary challenging the underpinnings of American society, its current culture and the Vietnam war. It was going to jail for his beliefs (which the Supreme Court vindicated). It was pronouncing our (almost) unfiltered presence. It was talking to reporters and Presidents and Kings and to us all at the same. With strength. With intelligence. With a twinkle in his eye. I am sorry that so many missed that.

Muhammad Ali's picture hangs in my office to this day. May he rest in peace
Thank you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Shook his hand at an airport. He looked smaller than I expected, but he wasn't young anymore. I've never asked anyone else for the privilege of shaking their hand.
I shook Geno's hand at the Team USA practice at Bender Arena on the AU campus in 2010.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I was five when Clay fought Liston for the title. I rooted for the guy whose name reminded me of Play-Doh. He won. I continued to follow him throughout his career and afterwards. I didn't always understand what he was doing and why in the 1960's but I knew he was taking a stand for what he believed to be right.

As a girl growing up in an all-white town in an all-white county in rural central Illinois, I cannot begin to describe the impact he made on me. I didn't know any black folks so had no way to relate to them. Most of what I saw on TV news regarding blacks was negative. But I knew there were people like Dr. King, Bob Gibson and Ali too and they were wonderful. That was huge.

One of my absolute favorite Olympic moments was him lighting the Olympic flame in Atlanta while the athletes and crowd chanted his name. Chills.

RIP Champ...and thanks.

Reaction Score
I lost all respect for Ali due to the extreme cruelty he directed at Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, and Floyd Patterson, among others. Never regained it.

Reaction Score
I lost all respect for Ali due to the extreme cruelty he directed at Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, and Floyd Patterson, among others. Never regained it.
You are correct. A spiritual man of God would never do that. America loves to worship and hold hands with celebrities. As Martin Luther King said of him, "When Cassius Clay joined the Black Muslims and started calling himself Cassius X he became a champion of racial segregation and that is what we are fighting against". Memories can be conveniently short when it comes to worshiping celebrities.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It is not possible for me to identify with you. Or Muhhamad Ali. I did not criticize him - never did. I could not grasp why people admired him early on for what seemed to me to be mere arrogant boastfulness.
Ah, but it ain't boasting if you can back it up. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ali was probably my favorite fighter of all time. I used to watch quite a bit of boxing back in the day. My favorite memory was the Ali-Foreman fight (Rumble in the Jungle). I remember being astonished at what Foreman did to Frazier. I didn't think (as most people) that Ali had a chance against this great young fighter. The match must have been later at night because I didn't watch or hear it live. But on my way to school the next day on the bus the radio announcer reported Ali had beaten Foreman by knockout in the 8th round. I was shocked but very happy.

RIP to The Greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS