Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
150522_SNUT_AliListon-BW.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I remember watching boxing on TV literally on my daddy knee. Since I was born in 1951 at that time boxing was king, and all the great fighters of the time were on the tube constantly: Sugar Ray, LaMotta, Joe Louis, Jersey Joe, Marciano. Of course Ali. Being a long time fight fan I loved Leonard, Arguello, Duran, Sanchez and of course Holmes and Tyson. Later I became an avid MMA fan. I've always said Ray was the best P for P I'd ever seen. Still. Just a magnificent artist. But for me when it came to the heavies it wasn't close. Ali was from the onset the best. And the most exciting. It's too bad this generation only saw the ageing Ali. I'll always remember the man whose mouth was ever moving. The man who took trash talking to a new level. The man whose social relevance outweighs his unrivaled achievements in the ring. I'll always remember The Greatest. If anyone deserves it in my mind, RIP.

Reaction Score
As a boxer I loved him, followed his whole career.
I could have done without his mouth though. Yes, it brought exposure to the sport, but not the right kind.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As a boxer I loved him, followed his whole career.
I could have done without his mouth though. Yes, it brought exposure to the sport, but not the right kind.

There was much to admire about Muhammad Ali, but I remain disturbed by the admiration bestowed on him for his skill as a trash-talker.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember why the second fight with Liston was in Lewiston, Maine?

I remember controversy...maybe still existing....about the punch that knocked Liston out....real or phantom?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
RIP - I was more of Frazier fan at the time but Ali is deservedly remember as one of the greats.

For you youngsters out there, the Ali/Frazier fights are probably the greatest in fight history. They are the model for the movie Rocky. Frazier was a straight ahead power puncher and Ali was a lightning fast boxer and brilliant ring tactician. Ali won the series 2-1 but every fight was incredibly close and both men sustained tremendous damage. Neither were quite the same after the third fight. I'm sure they are on youtube if anyone is curious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was much to admire about Muhammad Ali, but I remain disturbed by the admiration bestowed on him for his skill as a trash-talker.

Disturbed? Trash talking?
Maybe I can add the perspective of a young, voiceless Black boy who grew up in the housing projects of Bed-Sty, Brooklyn. He spoke for me and many others in this country. He showed me that I could grow up and confidently project my self image. He helped me see that I didn't have to quietly smile and bow my head and nod and hide my light (remember these were the 60's and 70's) where Blacks were sometimes beaten -- I was -- for merely looking at a White person. So here was a strong, smart, Black man saying "I am the best -- the greatest of all time" and it gave me confidence to go to an Ivy League college and Ivy League law school. To ultimately sit with three Presidents of the United States and hold myself erect.

So for some it was "trash talking". For me (and I dare say millions of other voiceless people) it was necessary. It was all a part of his social commentary challenging the underpinnings of American society, its current culture and the Vietnam war. It was going to jail for his beliefs (which the Supreme Court vindicated). It was pronouncing our (almost) unfiltered presence. It was talking to reporters and Presidents and Kings and to us all at the same. With strength. With intelligence. With a twinkle in his eye. I am sorry that so many missed that.

Muhammad Ali's picture hangs in my office to this day. May he rest in peace

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Maybe I can add the perspective of a young, voiceless Black boy who grew up in the housing projects of Bed-Sty, Brooklyn. He spoke for me and many others in this country. He showed me that I could grow up and confidently project my self image. He helped me see that I didn't have to quietly smile and bow my head and nod and hide my light (remember these were the 60's and 70's) where Blacks were sometimes beaten -- I was -- for merely looking at a White person. So here was a strong, smart, Black man saying "I am the best -- the greatest of all time" and it gave me confidence to go to an Ivy League college and Ivy League law school. To ultimately sit with three Presidents of the United States and hold myself erect.

So for some it was "trash talking". For me (and I dare say millions of other voiceless people) it was necessary. It was all a part of his social commentary challenging the underpinnings of American society, its current culture and the Vietnam war. It was going to jail for his beliefs (which the Supreme Court vindicated). It was pronouncing our (almost) unfiltered presence. It was talking to reporters and Presidents and Kings and to us all at the same. With strength. With intelligence. With a twinkle in his eye. I am sorry that so many missed that.

couldnt have said it better, thanks!

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember why the second fight with Liston was in Lewiston, Maine?

I remember controversy...maybe still existing....about the punch that knocked Liston out....real or phantom?
It was scheduled for Boston in Nov. '64. Just before the fight Ali needed emergency hernia surgery. New date was May of '65. But Liston got arrested again and the Mass. commission knew that Liston was tied to the mob so Suffolk Co. blocked the fight because the promoters didn't have a Mass. license. The governor of Maine stepped up, probably oblivious that there was a mob, and gave them Lewiston. Two minutes in came "The Fix" and the rest is history.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

couldnt have said it better, thanks!
Nor I.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

It is not possible for me to identify with you. Or Muhhamad Ali. I did not criticize him - never did. I could not grasp why people admired him early on for what seemed to me to be mere arrogant boastfulness.

I confess. I couldn't understand. Until I read your eloquent and heartfelt comments.

Now I think I understand. Thank you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Like all people I think there was growth and transformation in Mohammed Ali's early speech as Cassius Clay to what it became later and even more so in his retirement. His speech was multifaceted. At times it was uber confidence and and braggadocio, others it was simply the hype he saw as a tool to promote the sport and himself selling tickets and gathering media attention like a PT Barnum or Donald Trump. And still others it was the psychology of putting his opponent on edge and exploiting the rage and imbalance created outside the ring and inside. Still others were the deep well of spirit with which he spoke politically encouraging others to consider the greater implications of the war with Vietnam and the civil rights struggle within America. He connected the two as few had to that point. He understood that person, speech, and presence were all tools to be used for many things. His growth in using those tools moved across life and ours and I gladly celebrate his whole journey.

Reaction Score
It is not possible for me to identify with you. Or Muhhamad Ali. I did not criticize him - never did. I could not grasp why people admired him early on for what seemed to me to be mere arrogant boastfulness.

I confess. I couldn't understand. Until I read your eloquent and heartfelt comments.

Now I think I understand. Thank you.

Thank you for being open to my reflections.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yeah I hear you. Yet calling Frazier a gorilla wasn't in the name of social justice; it just Ali being an jerk. That's the kind of stuff a lot of us reacted to. Full disclosure - I was a Frazier fan back in the day (and pretty much everyone was one or the other) but I've come to appreciate Ali over the years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I got a tape recorder in high school and used it to tape the radio broadcast of the Ali v. Liston fight. It was a tremendous event.

I agree that the Ali v. Frazier rivalry was one of the best in sports.

To this day, I have gotten only 2 autographs, both for my son. I got one from Jack Nicklaus at Pebble Beach. The other was from Ali. I was sitting at Chicago Midway Airport waiting for a flight. The person across from me sure looked like Ali. No one other than a personal assistant was anywhere near him. I looked and looked and decided it was him. Then I struggled with approaching him or giving him privacy. I went up to him and said, "Champ, sorry for disturbing you, but would it be possible to get your autograph?" He kindly pulled out an Islam pamphlet from his briefcase and autographed it. We chatted briefly and shook hands. I think Ali was in his early 50s at the time, but he looked magnificent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There are so many things I like and appreciate about having access to this board. There are so many people from different backgrounds and cultures from across the country and around the world, all gathered together here because we share an attraction to WCBB in general, and UConn women's basketball specifically. There are a lot of things I know and have experienced through my travels in life, and there are many other things that I do not know because of insights I never received because of people I never got to meet, or things (situations) I never got to experience.

We are all the sum total of our own existence and experiences. None of us has traveled the exact same path in life. Our outlook or understanding may not be the same as others, and our appreciation (or tolerance) for certain aspects of life maybe different. I continue to be impressed, entertained and enlightened by the posts and comments written here. I spend at least an hour or two a day here, reading all of the posts and comments that you've taken the time to write. There are some very intelligent, informed and witty folks here.

I'm more informed now about the topics/people (players/potential recruits) discussed here than ever before. I like UConn women's basketball. Because I do, THIS is the best place to be. The more I know, the more I know. I've heard it said that "there's no place like this place around this place, so this must be the place".

To ALL of the posters and contributors here in the yard (and the mods), thank you. I appreciate you all. You guys rock!! ;)

Carnac, the unofficial seer of the boneyard.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
@Carnac. Your thoughts are shared by many but you expressed them admirably.

OTOH, a few years ago, I had one of those embarrassing "ya never know" moments. I posted what I thought was a witty comment. Not content with that I added something about "keeping a straight face." Unbeknownst to me, one of the parties in the conversation was, um, not "straight." I was politely and privately called out by a mod. I am confident that dialog over the intervening years has persuaded the, um, "gay" person that I am a model of tolerance.

But hey, ya never know. I said that with a straight face.;)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

A vital perspective. Well said.

Reaction Score
We all are aware of legendary sports figures who lost years of their prime athletic performance fighting for our country. Ironically, the same can be said for Muhammad Ali.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom