OT: Movies So Dark They're Unwatchable | The Boneyard

OT: Movies So Dark They're Unwatchable

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No, I'm not talking plot or evil or too much blood. I'm talking "what the hades is one the screen? Can you see it? I think I see an eyebrow and a hand." When did directors decide that the audiences wanted movies in which they can't see (and sometimes can't hear) the actors doing whatever they are doing?

My annoying nominee of the day:

I have a theory of about these movies. They are only meant to be viewed in a totally dark theatre on a huge screen. You should not have to tilt your lap top at some funky angle or put a box of 9 mm under the back edge of you Vizio monitor, etc. to see them!

Reaction Score
I think some of the problem is that LCD tv's do a terrible job of distinquishing between the different shades of gray, and turn all gray into a black mess. Recently my Samsung DLP, Digital Light Projection, TV bit the dust as I got tired of paying for digital chip white outs, and the difference I see in the new LCD is astounding. The LCD is black and murky and shows reflections like a mirror. Unsure if a Plasma picture is better, but all the LCD TV's, monitors and laptops do a terrible job of showing darker colors.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That has a simple answer - Eraserhead.

Back when I worked (in college) for the local art house, we showed Rocky Horror every Friday and Saturday at midnight and the owners wanted to see if they could do something on either Thursday (party night) or Sunday night at midnight. Their effort was Eraserhead, which is dark (in more ways than one) and even if you could see it, you would still wonder what was happening on the screen.

It didn't last long.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think some of the problem is that LCD tv's do a terrible job of distinquishing between the different shades of gray, and turn all gray into a black mess. Recently my Samsung DLP, Digital Light Projection, TV bit the dust as I got tired of paying for digital chip white outs, and the difference I see in the new LCD is astounding. The LCD is black and murky and shows reflections like a mirror. Unsure if a Plasma picture is better, but all the LCD TV's, monitors and laptops do a terrible job of showing darker colors.
The beauty of today's OLED's are their incredible dynamic range (the difference between white and black) and their black levels. One of their weaknesses is shadow detail, or dynamic gradations from black to gray. Consequently some OLED's crush the detail within dark areas.

Because the NITS of these newer OLED's are steadily increasing without sacrificing black levels it far better than the first OLED's, but not as good as LCD's which show a good amount of detail in shadowed areas. Of course, most LCD's don't do black, just a fair level of gray, and the light leakage washes out colors. OLED's on the other hand show a rich palette of color, and because blacks are truly black, the colors pop from the screen. Go to a dealer (Best Buy or etc.) and take a good long look at the SONY A8F, and the LG E8 or C8. Or wait until SONY drops their new Master Series OLED's. The current Samsung QLED's are not competitive with these. Note however the screens of today's OLED's are highly reflective. I have mine in a well lit room and the screen reflections are not a problem.

The best OLED's extant according to reviewers are the Panasonic's which are not available in NA. The current LG's are a little brighter than the SONY's, but the latter is better in about every other area including eliminating motion artifacts, minimizing artifacts in general, and shadow detail. Plus SONY's last forever and their customer service is slightly better than the others. Also when buying today's new sets invest in the stores protection plans.

I like to have these guys deliver and set up the TV as well. For me set up is just putting in on the stand and/or putting together the new stand as well. For others is putting up the wall mount, mounting the TV and setting up your cabling and networking. It's extra, but worth it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What just happened?

That movie was a pleasant surprise to me. When it wasn't really dark it was really bright. Two suns will do that for you. What ever happened to Radha Mitchell?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That movie was a pleasant surprise to me. When it wasn't really dark it was really bright. Two suns will do that for you. What ever happened to Radha Mitchell?
I think that was her playing the aggrieved mom in one of my favorite vengeance movies, "Man On Fire". "Last wish? I wish...you had...more time". "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting".

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I believe you are correct Jordy. I've seen her in a few other movies, but nothing recent. Looking at IMDB she's still active, just nothing that's popped onto my radar lately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom