OT: Most Exciting College Football Game Ever? | The Boneyard

OT: Most Exciting College Football Game Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last night's game was positively tremendous (Texas over ND 50-47 in double overtime). For excitement (not necessarily for best played), of the games I've seen, I rank it third behind:

#1 Of course, widely considered the greatest regular season game ever played, 1971 Nebraska-Oklahoma: #s 1 and 2, both teams leaving absolutely everything on the field. The good guy (Tom Osborne) vs. the not-so-good guy (Barry Switzer).

# 2 I had the privilege of being there: the 2000 Orange Bowl between Alabama and Michigan, with Alabama missing the PAT in overtime. The little known Michigan QB twice lead his team back from 14 point deficits, throwing 4 TDs. Not enough to get noticed, however, as he wasn't drafted until the 6th round. Wonder what ever happened to him?

Reaction Score
The Auburn game from 2013. Don't remember who they played but the kid ran it back for a touch down to win the game

Reaction Score
The Auburn game from 2013. Don't remember who they played but the kid ran it back for a touch down to win the game
Alabama. And Saban was going nuts on the sidelines, screaming at his co-ordinator for suggesting the field goal attempt. Amazing ending.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Don't tell anyone., but I grew up a die hard Texas fan and I still root for the football team until this day. When Baylor and Texas play I am happy regardless of which team wins. I was really happy to see UT pull off a big win against ND last night.

Reaction Score
#4 Boise State vs. Oklahoma, 2007 Fiesta Bowl
#5 Texas vs. USC, 2006 Rose Bowl
#6 Boston College vs. Miami, 1984
#7 Miami vs. Nebraska, 1984 Rose Bowl
#8 Auburn vs. Alabama, 2013 Iron Bowl

Reaction Score
In November of 1982 Stanford played at Cal. Trailing 19-17 in a hard fought game, Stanford kicked a field goal with 4 seconds remaining to take a 20-19 lead. As the Stanford band emptied the stands to celebrate their victory, the following transpired -

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
SO EXCITING!!! And one of the receivers for Texas grew up on my street and his family still live there. They are awesome people and everyone was out in the street last night celebrating! I really like Charlie Strong and this season is critical for him, if he doesn't have a winning season I could see Texas letting him go.

Reaction Score
Last night's game was positively tremendous (Texas over ND 50-47 in double overtime). For excitement (not necessarily for best played), of the games I've seen, I rank it third behind:

#1 Of course, widely considered the greatest regular season game ever played, 1971 Nebraska-Oklahoma: #s 1 and 2, both teams leaving absolutely everything on the field. The good guy (Tom Osborne) vs. the not-so-good guy (Barry Switzer).

# 2 I had the privilege of being there: the 2000 Orange Bowl between Alabama and Michigan, with Alabama missing the PAT in overtime. The little known Michigan QB twice lead his team back from 14 point deficits, throwing 4 TDs. Not enough to get noticed, however, as he wasn't drafted until the 6th round. Wonder what ever happened to him?
I was at your #1, called the "game of the century" at the time. Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado finished 1-2-3 in the country that year for a Big 8 sweep. But to me Barry (and Greg Pruitt) were the good guys and Osborne (and Johnny Rogers) were the not-so-good guys. Hey, how come y'all only list OU games that they LOST in your top all-time? :cool:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Last night's game between Texas and ND was an instant classic to be sure. My very favorite Texas games have to include 15-14 over Arkansas 1969 and 41-38 over USC in the incredible, spectacular 2006 Rose Bowl. Also am partial to the 38-37 win over Michigan in the previous season's Rose Bowl.

And watching USC beat Oklahoma 55-19 in the prior season's Orange Bowl was good for the soul.

Can't forget the 1984 Orange Bowl between Nebraska and Miami.

Last year's Michigan-Michigan State game was awesome.

Have I mentioned I love CFB?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
+1000 Thanks: I forgot about that. The fantastic Statue of Liberty play. I yelled so loud, my family woke up scared and ran downstairs to see if everything was okay.
Great list!
Yes! Boise State vs Oklahoma.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Big win for Texas. I watched the entire game. That win takes a lot of pressure off of Charlie Strong, even if it''s only for a week.Strong getting carried off the field after the first game, shows us how much his players love and respect him.

As a point of reference Bags, Chuck Fairbanks was the sooner's head coach in 1971. Barry Switzer was the OU offensive coordinator. Switzer became HC in 1973.

The 1971 Nebraska Cornhuskers football team was coached by Bob Devaney. The Huskers were undefeated at 13–0, repeating as national champions. Tom Osborne became the Husker's HC in 1973.

You are correct, that was a very good game. Do you remember Nebraska's "Johnny R - Super Star"? :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good catches, Carnac! Yes Johnny Rodgers had a tremendous game, IIRC.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Big win for Texas. I watched the entire game. That win takes a lot of pressure off of Charlie Strong, even if it''s only for a week.Strong getting carried off the field after the first game, shows us how much his players love and respect him.

As a point of reference Bags, Chuck Fairbanks was the sooner's head coach in 1971. Barry Switzer was the OU offensive coordinator. Switzer became HC in 1973.

The 1971 Nebraska Cornhuskers football team was coached by Bob Devaney. The Huskers were undefeated at 13–0, repeating as national champions. Tom Osborne became the Husker's HC in 1973.

You are correct, that was a very good game. Do you remember Nebraska's "Johnny R - Super Star"? :cool:
More depressing, 1971 was 45 years ago. I don't remember Fairbanks (at least in an OU context), but I do remember Devaney at Nebraska. That said, I wasn't watching that much football in those days, not only because there were a lot less games to watch, but also my father wasn't that much of a football watcher. Not against it, just not what was on unless I put it on.

I have to also add that I don't remember games the way some of you do. Even WBB - I remember a few games, but couldn't give you details and year in most cases. Football, no way.

As to exciting games, in Rich Rod's first year here at AZ, in the bowl game (New Mexico Bowl) we had an unbelievable comeback and win. Gave up a field goal to fall behind 48-35 with 1:48 left and no time-outs. Scored touchdowns at 42 seconds and 19 seconds to win. Best game in which I had a rooting interest. I did have to look up the details.

Reaction Score
OK, I'm tired of hearing about all these Oklahoma losses. How about the 1976 Orange Bowl. Oklahoma over Michigan 14-6 for the NC. Difference maker was a 39-yard end-around touchdown by Billy Brooks. Rick Leach couldn't get it done that day.

Another great game was the following year when OU and Ohio State met for the first time ever at the Horseshoe. OU won 29-28 on a 41-yard field goal by future Dolphin great Uwe von Schamann with 3 seconds left. When Woody Hayes called time out to ice the kicker, Keith Jackson said, "Ole Barry has 'em right where he wants 'em." The OU-OSU all-time series is tied 1-1, until 2 weeks from now when OSU comes to Norman to get their asses kicked. (I hate the B1G :D )

BTW Fairbanks left Oklahoma to coach the Patriots for 6 years. He was their coach when Darryl Stingley was paralyzed by Jack Tatum. Just before that game the Patriots had reached a deal with Stingley to extend his contract. After the injury the Sullivans (owners) reneged on the deal, pissing off Fairbanks and causing him to leave after that season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In November of 1982 Stanford played at Cal. Trailing 19-17 in a hard fought game, Stanford kicked a field goal with 4 seconds remaining to take a 20-19 lead. As the Stanford band emptied the stands to celebrate their victory, the following transpired -

The Stanford band now is now taught tackling as a matter of course. :D

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
When it became clear that the "big two - little eight" was a bunch of hooey. Go Hawks!

Reaction Score
When it became clear that the "big two - little eight" was a bunch of hooey. Go Hawks!

Colin Cowherd calls Iowa, "The Fake ID of the B1G."
(They're 'spunky', though :p )

I do think Michigan State is for real.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OK, I'm tired of hearing about all these Oklahoma losses. How about the 1976 Orange Bowl. Oklahoma over Michigan 14-6 for the NC. Difference maker was a 39-yard end-around touchdown by Billy Brooks. Rick Leach couldn't get it done that day.

Another great game was the following year when OU and Ohio State met for the first time ever at the Horseshoe. OU won 29-28 on a 41-yard field goal by future Dolphin great Uwe von Schamann with 3 seconds left. When Woody Hayes called time out to ice the kicker, Keith Jackson said, "Ole Barry has 'em right where he wants 'em." The OU-OSU all-time series is tied 1-1, until 2 weeks from now when OSU comes to Norman to get their asses kicked. (I hate the B1G :D )

BTW Fairbanks left Oklahoma to coach the Patriots for 6 years. He was their coach when Darryl Stingley was paralyzed by Jack Tatum. Just before that game the Patriots had reached a deal with Stingley to extend his contract. After the injury the Sullivans (owners) reneged on the deal, pissing off Fairbanks and causing him to leave after that season.

Hey Kicker, thanks for the trip down memory lane. You've mentioned some names I haven't heard in 40 years. Why don't you get off the fence about your feelings/stance on the Big 10, and tell us how you really feel? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Hey Kicker, thanks for the trip down memory lane. You've mentioned some names I haven't heard in 40 years. Why don't you get off the fence about your feelings/stance on the Big 10, and tell us how you really feel? :rolleyes:
Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Mark Dantonio are threatening to make the B1G a legitimate football conference. When they do I will gladly acknowledge. Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler were dinosaurs before the dinosaurs became extinct.

Reaction Score

\
For me the most exciting Football game I ever witnessed was: A lou Holtz team (Arkansas) played Texas in Little Rock (Normally Fayettville, Ark). A probable win, but unexpected never the less, Holtz and company defeated Texas--40,000 Arkansan fans flooded the streets of Little Rock and clogged traffic for hour after hour after hour--the only comparable celebration was VJ day and this was bigger. For Arkansans the score was important only in that it defined the win.

Then there was the one on Terryville Green and a teammate had his two front teeth knocked out--someone picked them up in a hanky --a few hours later they were reinstalled by a dentist--who would have thought that?

Reaction Score
I was at your #1, called the "game of the century" at the time. Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado finished 1-2-3 in the country that year for a Big 8 sweep. But to me Barry (and Greg Pruitt) were the good guys and Osborne (and Johnny Rogers) were the not-so-good guys. Hey, how come y'all only list OU games that they LOST in your top all-time? :cool:
That game had no losers, That's how great a game it was, one of the few games ever ,where you wondered what great thing would happen next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom