OT: Most Depressing Movie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Most Depressing Movie

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've never watched the movie for fear of the Sean Penn treatment. The book, IMO, portrayed Alex as a naive idealistic schlub. Nothing heroic about him. Just a garden variety idiot who died a stupid unnecessary death. From all I've heard, the movie tried to add some heroism and meaning to his life - the only good outcome of which might be to lead other useless morons into the woods to improve the overall gene pool.
You sound like a real sweetheart.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You sound like a real sweetheart.

I am! As you're one of the only two people here I'm aware of actually meeting, I could use some positive press, lol. I did share my vodka with you and CoachCap and thought that as guests my friend and I comported ourselves respectfully. I know we cleaned up after ourselves!

But after re-reading my initial comment about Alex, I realized I really don't want others to go into the woods because finding them and removing their carcasses from remote places is a poor use of resources. Maybe that makes me seem harsh, but IMO, acts like Alex's are extremely selfish and egotistical and should not be celebrated at all or excused away by suggesting "naivete".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some not mentioned:

Irreversible (Disturbing)
Killing Fields (Genocide)
Oslo, August 31st (Addiction/Suicide)
The Human Condition / The Boy In the Striped Pajamas (Prisoners of War)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Human Condition / The Boy In the Striped Pajamas (Prisoners of War)

I watched this, and while sad, I can't really call it depressing because I knew how it was going to end about halfway through and I honestly didn't feel too bad about it,
knowing that a Nazi family would suffer.

Reaction Score
Revolutionary Road with Leo D & Kate W... Hit home hard!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Seven
Passion of the Christ
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas which is just so damn depression

Reaction Score
No way this movie doesn’t someday win this thread:

Even the trailer is brutal. Was going to post this in the movie trailer thread ages ago but then forgot about it. Von Trier is a messed up dude if his movies are any indication.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom