OT: More UNC | The Boneyard

OT: More UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All this tells me is that there are continuing investigations solely because UNC does want to remain a credible institution of higher learning. If they had the attitude of most SEC schools, the NCAA's turning a blind eye would have been the end of it.

Reaction Score
He said he sent copies of the records to former Gov. Jim Martin and the accounting firm Baker Tilly, whom Thorp appointed last month to dig deeper into the academic fraud.
Thorp did not explain why the records had not surfaced until now, but he said they are “of concern.”
“These records are important and have been referred to Gov. Martin,” Thorp said.

In a normal world, the buck would stop with the department and college Dean's office.

Never mind the Provost or the U. president or board of trustees.

This is going to the governor's office and an accounting firm (say what? what do they know about academic protocol?).

This tells me everything I need to know about what happened. The fact that outside investigators are being brought in, the fact that the governor is involved, tells you precisely what the problem was at the very start.

Reaction Score
This tells me everything I need to know about what happened.

Which is what?

The fact that outside investigators are being brought in, the fact that the governor is involved, tells you precisely what the problem was at the very start.

Again, which is what?

Reaction Score
Which is what?

Again, which is what?

Uh, that stuff that shouldn't rise above the pay-level of a college dean (more likely an assistant to the dean) is being kicked not only to the Provost and President but beyond to a politician and an accounting firm which has absolutely no competency in this area?

This tells me that this has always been a hot potato and that the U.'s admins are abrogating responsibility so that the necessary decisions can be made. It's not that there aren't already structures in place that could easily take care of this scandal (there are, every school has them), it's that the basketball/football programs are involved, so the President abrogates his responsibility, kicks it up to the politicians and cover-artists (accounting firm) who have to gauge the political fallout.

Given the chain of responsibility here, can there be any doubt that the chair of that department was getting paid by someone to do this? People don't do these kinds of things otherwise.

This scandal is rotten to the core. When people who should not be involved in something like this suddenly become involved, you have to ask the question: why?

This is not a criminal thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak