OT: Monty Williams fired by Pelicans | The Boneyard

OT: Monty Williams fired by Pelicans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My buddy just notified me of this, and he had the same thought I did. Given his recent recruiting issues, and the fact that he's already successfully coached Anthony Davis, AND the fact that Davis is one of the best young stars in the league, I'd imagine that there could be mutual interest between NO and Calipari. Thoughts?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My buddy just notified me of this, and he had the same thought I did. Given his recent recruiting issues, and the fact that he's already successfully coached Anthony Davis, AND the fact that Davis is one of the best young stars in the league, I'd imagine that there could be mutual interest between NO and Calipari. Thoughts?

First thing I thought of also but not a large enough market for the Squid???
Let's not start the KO to NO stuff....................PLEASE

Reaction Score
Firing Mwill for Cal would be really stupid.

Reaction Score
@CallMeBruce - I was literally about to make the same exact post.

I wonder if there is any smoke here. Williams is not a good coach, but NO just made the playoffs. He certainly wasn't on the hot seat. Maybe with Cal whiffing on a bunch of guys he has gotten in the past, coupled with his actual lack of success (relative to expectations) over the last few years, I would think he'd have to consider the NO move.

I mean, think about it, Davis is the best player he's ever coached (he's a future HOFer, that's real). If Cal goes there, and Davis resigns, he gets to coach AD in his prime for the next 10 years. If you put a semi-competent roster around that, they are an annual playoff team and eventual contender, even with Cal's lack of coaching skills.

He has to consider it. There is no doubt, and he will be on NO's list if anything else to assure that Davis will re-sign and stay long term. Interesting development.

Reaction Score
didn't they make him an ultimatum to make the playoffs or else get fired? whatever, he makes plenty of mind bending decisions on the floor imo. Thibs to NOP

Reaction Score
Even if he does get to coach Davis for 10 years, how many years out of those 10 is New Orleans a top-4 team in the west?

Reaction Score
didn't they make him an ultimatum to make the playoffs or else get fired? whatever, he makes plenty of mind bending decisions on the floor imo. Thibs to NOP

He has a better rep, but at this point you can say the same thing about Thibs in regards to lineups. I'd also hate to see Thibs try to give Davis the Butler/Deng treatment and attempt to play him 48 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Yeah monty williams is a bottom five coach in the nba, it would be HILARIOUS if they hire brooks though

Reaction Score
He has a better rep, but at this point you can say the same thing about Thibs in regards to lineups. I'd also hate to see Thibs try to give Davis the Butler/Deng treatment and attempt to play him 48 minutes a game.
thibs is doing the whole trying to get fired thing/ slash not giving a . i feel like he isn't using lineups that are clearly productive. But one thing he will do is not allow tyreke evans to go hero ball. maybe he'll be reinvigorated with a new scene.

Reaction Score
I think Cal is the perfect fit for NO and the NBA. Zero set plays, 1 on 1 offense and defense, Steven A and Skip slobbering all over you for 8 months. Plus, squid is common in New Orleans. SIGN THE GUY UP

Reaction Score
I think Cal is the perfect fit for NO and the NBA. Zero set plays, 1 on 1 offense and defense, Steven A and Skip slobbering all over you for 8 months. Plus, squid is common in New Orleans. SIGN THE GUY UP

i'm hoping you're being facetious and this isn't a direct shot at the professional game. because you are right cal isn't much of an x&os guy, but the nba as a whole is. even monty, he just has other short comings like benching ryan anderson in the playoffs after he scored 10 points in a quarter

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
NO is more of a shrimp and crawfish type of place.

Reaction Score
For some reason I could see him taking a position like that. Not too much preasure and he could definetely use his brain washing skills to get former Kentucky kids to come play for him in New Orleans at a discounted rate. I could see him putting together and all Kentucky team lol.

Reaction Score
For some reason I could see him taking a position like that. Not too much preasure and he could definetely use his brain washing skills to get former Kentucky kids to come play for him in New Orleans at a discounted rate. I could see him putting together and all Kentucky team lol.

Pressure down there has been elevated, the GM Will Demps and Monty Williams were under a "playoffs or else" directive from the owner and Williams still got fired despite making the playoffs after a ton of injuries.

Reaction Score
Pressure down there has been elevated, the GM Will Demps and Monty Williams were under a "playoffs or else" directive from the owner and Williams still got fired despite making the playoffs after a ton of injuries.
True, but not preasure like in OKC, win a chip or you are fired. He'll make the playoffs with AD and whoeever they get in the draft should be able to add some value (even mid first round).

Reaction Score
I think Cal is the perfect fit for NO and the NBA. Zero set plays, 1 on 1 offense and defense...
You haven't watched the NBA in a decade, have you?

Also: Williams was not a good coach, but he improved every year and had progressed from "bad" to "competent." Except for end-of-game situations.

Anyway... I'd love it if Cal left and fell on his face in the league (again). But I also love Cal as college basketball's Black Hat. Few things are sweeter than beating his UK teams.

Reaction Score
i'm hoping you're being facetious and this isn't a direct shot at the professional game. because you are right cal isn't much of an x&os guy, but the nba as a whole is. even monty, he just has other short comings like benching ryan anderson in the playoffs after he scored 10 points in a quarter
This was a direct shot at the Squid. Not the NBA. Round-a-bout way of saying that he's all about propaganda and doesn't offer much further value to an NBA franchise. Guy doesn't develop players or run a fluid game. He's had 2 all world players in D-Rose and ADavis. Anybody could have won the championship with that 2012 team.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
First thing I thought of also but not a large enough market for the Squid???
Let's not start the KO to NO stuff.....PLEASE
KoNo...KoNo...KoNo...KoNo -- You started it

Reaction Score
If Calipari really wanted to go to the NBA, he's had multiple opportunities to do that in the last couple years in much better markets / with much better teams than New Orleans.

Reaction Score
If Calipari really wanted to go to the NBA, he's had multiple opportunities to do that in the last couple years in much better markets / with much better teams than New Orleans.

But up until now, he wasn't fighting an uphill battle. This is the first offseason that he's struggled to bring in the players he needs. They're bringing back a skeleton crew next year, with gobs of minutes and shots available, and he's getting beaten over and over again. I think the golden parachute into the NBA has to be appealing.

Reaction Score
But up until now, he wasn't fighting an uphill battle. This is the first offseason that he's struggled to bring in the players he needs. They're bringing back a skeleton crew next year, with gobs of minutes and shots available, and he's getting beaten over and over again. I think the golden parachute into the NBA has to be appealing.
Cal isn't going to put himself in the position to go back to the NBA and fail again. If he goes, I don't think it'll be for any job other than the perfect job where he literally can't lose (a la Phil Jackson).

Even if he has a "down" year, I'm sure there will still be some prime opportunities for him in the NBA down the line if he stays patient.

Reaction Score

Has he? That's a sincere question. We hear all kinds of chatter about Cal trying his hand in the NBA again, but nobody has explained to me why NBA teams are going to be knocking down the door to sign him unless maybe they're trying to entice one of his former players.

Reaction Score
This is an appealing job. Anthony Davis is already a top 5, and arguably top 3 players in the league and he's 21. Cal coached Davis. Cal coached Tyreke. There are a slew of Cal's guys on other teams who will be up for free agency in the next few years, or who might be available via trade (The Cs need Demarcus though, and he's no fit in NO anyways).

Not saying Cal is going anywhere, but if an offer is made, he has to listen. Smarter money is on Thibs, who is an actual NBA coach, but don't think Cal would never consider leaving Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom