OT: Mobile VPN and Your Own VPN | The Boneyard

OT: Mobile VPN and Your Own VPN

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Question: Can't a commercially supplied VPN be hack and would be a super attractive target?

If I go to the trouble and expense of my own VPN I suppose that has only utility at home?

Is there a book VPNs for dummies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Anything can be hacked.

VPN's are not a high value target though.

Too much effort for not much reward.
I think you should add to your : Anything can be hacked--and has been . The kids in the Crimea have been hacking ---it is like the old gold prospectors, try this spot--if of no value try this one. Most can 't get a conception of having the time and inclination to do that "surfing".

Reaction Score
Question: Can't a commercially supplied VPN be hack and would be a super attractive target?

If I go to the trouble and expense of my own VPN I suppose that has only utility at home?

Is there a book VPNs for dummies.

While you are at it could you find me a better rate on my mortgage and print out an updated list of the reporting pedophiles in my area? :)

It depends on what you mean by hack.
A VPN disguises where your computer is located, which is very useful if (1) you want to keep a government from knowing what door to knock down or (2) you want, for example, to pretend you are really in England so you can stream British TV programs that aren’t available in the US yet.
A VPN is not likely to help you much if you sign into the fake website that pretends to be your bank or if you open that email attachment promising you the dirt on Muffet McGraw. Malware doesn’t care the route it takes, as long as it lands in your hard drive. So if that’s what you mean by hacks, you should probably look into a virtual machine or sandboxing program.
I’m oversimplifying here, but a sandbox is like a hard drive within your hard drive. It lets you download stuff that includes bugs but isolates everything in a sandbox that empties out as soon as you close it, leaving your original hard drive unscathed. (If you decide you like what is in the sandbox, you always have the option of keeping it, of course.)
Well, that’s the theory, anyway. Nothing is invulnerable. I’ve read of fewer vulnerabilities in a stand-alone program like Sandboxie than in the browser-based sandboxes. But I am no expert in any of this, so please don’t rely on anything I’ve written.
(Except for the email I just sent you. I really AM the widow of a Nigerian prince who set up the lottery in which you were awarded 1 million courtside UConn wbb tickets that I will be happy to mail to you just as soon as you can provide a small fee so that my country’s customs office will release the package,)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It depends on what you mean by hack.
A VPN disguises where your computer is located, which is very useful if (1) you want to keep a government from knowing what door to knock down or (2) you want, for example, to pretend you are really in England so you can stream British TV programs that aren’t available in the US yet.
A VPN is not likely to help you much if you sign into the fake website that pretends to be your bank or if you open that email attachment promising you the dirt on Muffet McGraw. Malware doesn’t care the route it takes, as long as it lands in your hard drive. So if that’s what you mean by hacks, you should probably look into a virtual machine or sandboxing program.
I’m oversimplifying here, but a sandbox is like a hard drive within your hard drive. It lets you download stuff that includes bugs but isolates everything in a sandbox that empties out as soon as you close it, leaving your original hard drive unscathed. (If you decide you like what is in the sandbox, you always have the option of keeping it, of course.)
Well, that’s the theory, anyway. Nothing is invulnerable. I’ve read of fewer vulnerabilities in a stand-alone program like Sandboxie than in the browser-based sandboxes. But I am no expert in any of this, so please don’t rely on anything I’ve written.
(Except for the email I just sent you. I really AM the widow of a Nigerian prince who set up the lottery in which you were awarded 1 million courtside UConn wbb tickets that I will be happy to mail to you just as soon as you can provide a small fee so that my country’s customs office will release the package,)

Thanks @maddoggy and all you folks above. I got not notice of an responses on the thread forever, and suddenly ... not time to come up for are and just scroll for the thread in the last few days.

OBTW you'll have better luck being a Nigerian Royal Princess if you get the accent down! LOL

Reaction Score
Thanks @maddoggy and all you folks above. I got not notice of an responses on the thread forever, and suddenly ... not time to come up for are and just scroll for the thread in the last few days.

OBTW you'll have better luck being a Nigerian Royal Princess if you get the accent down! LOL

I had a Nigerian Chieftian as a lab partner-he spoke perfect KIngs Enslish (king of England English) ---I began crossing my 7's and using ZED for Z. One smart cookie that Chief.

Reaction Score
I had a Nigerian Chieftian as a lab partner-he spoke perfect KIngs Enslish (king of England English) ---I began crossing my 7's and using ZED for Z. One smart cookie that Chief.

Coming from Italy, to this day still cross the 7's and Z's. One other letter, the Zero (0) is troublesome, is it a zero or the letter "o", especially when it comes to serial numbers of software keys. I always put a slash through it to distinguish between the letter "O" and the "0".

1550490080540.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom