OT: Mild brain teases | The Boneyard

OT: Mild brain teases

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
These just came my way. Each English word becomes a nation upon rearranging. This won't tax you strongly, but any exercize to ward off dementia is a good thing, right?
No responding is necessary, just your private enjoyment.

Also, rain, pure, moan, mail, aspin, plane, bialy, helic, laity, chain.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
mail? I don't think that works. Lima is a city not a country :)

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
These just came my way. Each English word becomes a nation upon rearranging. This won't tax you strongly, but any exercize to ward off dementia is a good thing, right?
No responding is necessary, just your private enjoyment.

Also, rain, pure, moan, mail, aspin, plane, bialy, helic, laity, chain.

>> B.T.W. The fellow in your avatar pic earned a degree higher than a PhD!
( Never heard of such a thing before ... or since.)

>> We used to watch his T.V. show in my home.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
>> B.T.W. The fellow in your avatar pic earned a degree higher than a PhD!
( Never heard of such a thing before ... or since.)

>> We used to watch his T.V. show in my home.

'splain, please

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
'splain, please

>> First , that is Bishop Fulton J. Sheen isn't it? (If not I will lurk back into the darkness from whence I came)
His T.V. show was, I believe, called "Life Is Worth Living" and was very popular. It had high ratings. The guy was a
dynamic, charasmatic person who was one of the greatest preachers ever. (A Catholic Billy Graham) He was seen
with many famous people of all denominations .

>> In his biography it is noted that in Europe, there is a rarely earned degree higher than a PhD. It is inter-institutional
and the final step in the process is an oral examination by several distinguished scholars of important colleges.
When its over you can tell how well you performed by the kind of beverage served at the post examination function.
After his examinaton . . . they served champagne!

>> He never became a Cardinal because he spilled the beans on Cardinal Spellman of New York who was stealing money
meant for charity to buy toys for himself. Spellman was forced to pay back the diverted funds and used his great power and
influence to make sure Sheen never got promoted. He saw to that Sheen's final posting was at a backwater New York location.

>> (Spellman's bio is worth reading. It was a best seller and incredible) B.T.W. re-runs of Sheen's old show appear regularly
on EWTN, the Catholc channel.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
My family also was an ardent watcher, even saw the show in person. I had and have great respect for him, and I thank you for this esoteric info.
I once saw a quote attributed to him about taking the hat, where he said, "Well, you have to let it be known that you want it", implying that he did not actively seek it.

Reaction Score
My family also was an ardent watcher, even saw the show in person. I had and have great respect for him, and I thank you for this esoteric info.
I once saw a quote attributed to him about taking the hat, where he said, "Well, you have to let it be known that you want it", implying that he did not actively seek it.

I remember sitting with my rosary beads watching him in the 1950's...I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old...didn't he always close by saying, "God bless..."

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I remember sitting with my rosary beads watching him in the 1950's...I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old...didn't he always close by saying, "God bless..."

No, no...it was "Good night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog