OT: Mike Lonergan Fired | The Boneyard

OT: Mike Lonergan Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This has been going on for a while and I'm surprised it took so long. So many kids have transferred out of the program something had to be going on there. This one has a feel of getting ugly. He might sue the university and all kinds of stuff is going to come out of this I would bet.

Reaction Score
Weird I'm sure he did some rotten things. Wish I knew more but kids are spineless now I would have never told on my coach unless he beat the out of me physically. Were these the kids not seeing the court?

Sounds like he was an a**wipe though I guess.

Reaction Score
It's kind of hard to comment on this without knowing exactly what was said. The Gordon thing, for instance, seems pretty tame, though I can certainly see why it's problematic.

I don't know how you handle something like this, because homophobia is so prevalent within big time athletics. I'd think you would have to be a bit naive to think it doesn't go on in a lot of places, but maybe I'm wrong. It absolutely can't be tolerated but it must be difficult to differentiate between what constitutes a fireable offense and what doesn't.

Reaction Score
It's kind of hard to comment on this without knowing exactly what was said. The Gordon thing, for instance, seems pretty tame, though I can certainly see why it's problematic.

I don't know how you handle something like this, because homophobia is so prevalent within big time athletics. I'd think you would have to be a bit naive to think it doesn't go on in a lot of places, but maybe I'm wrong. It absolutely can't be tolerated but it must be difficult to differentiate between what constitutes a fireable offense and what doesn't.

I can't see them firing him for using the words "the gay kid" because after all, he is. Other words which are used in this scenario would be much less appropriate.

Has to be a lot more because why would a kid go to the AD or whomever and tell them "he told me to go guard the gay kid"??

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If the guy was/is proven to do some real DB things then he deserves to go
Athletes these days are so sensitive about one thing or another but think nothing of disrespecting the National Anthem. Pick and chose - sick of the BS

Reaction Score
GW hired an outside law firm and took the time to do a thorough investigation. This is a setback for their program -- especially coming at the time of year it did -- but I have no doubt that the administration thought their decision was forced.

Plus, there is no profession on Earth where insulting your direct superior (as Lonergan seemed to do to the AD) is a good idea.

Reaction Score
Had to wait until new recruits and returning players started classes so they wouldn't leave.
Student athlete getting screwed again just like transfer rules in favor of coach but not player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom