OT: Mich St. Trustee "This Nassar Thing" | The Boneyard

OT: Mich St. Trustee "This Nassar Thing"

Reaction Score
And some of us wonder why higher education looks like it does? Michigan State trustee: Board has spent only 10 minutes discussing 'this Nassar thing'

I'd say that whole board needs to follow the president out the door.

USA gymnastics, swimming, and track and field all implicated by adults molesting young athletes away from home. Governing bodies in control of those national programs lose control of predator coaches (and doctors) who sense the disconnects between administrators and parents, allowing the pedophiles relatively unfettered access to immature children. Then the cover-ups begin and the inevitable questions, "who knew what when?" And, (Why did it take so long to intervene?"
MSU, just the latest scandal, waiting for the list of those responsible to begin sliding under the shameful bus.

Reaction Score
And some of us wonder why higher education looks like it does? Michigan State trustee: Board has spent only 10 minutes discussing 'this Nassar thing'

I'd say that whole board needs to follow the president out the door.
Excuse me for being crass--possibly. Over the years since Geno has been coach--he has had 1,2, 3, 4, 5 women closely and totally involved with the program. For the past 50 years (maybe should have been for 1000 years) men, doctors, nurses, trainer, coaches knew/know for the sake of propriety and decency no male should be alone with a woman or girl. We were told : the IMAGE of impropriety is equal to Impropriety--e.g.-if anyone may think it's not right--avoid it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Makes Sandusky look small time (unless you were a victim). The report of an institutional "remedy", on paper only, makes the M State Admin. complicit and culpable to me.

Reaction Score
The trustee should be out immediately. Probably won't happen -- politics, dont'cha know? -- but it should

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
... For the past 50 years.... men... knew/know for the sake of propriety and decency no male should be alone with a woman or girl. We were told : the IMAGE of impropriety is equal to Impropriety--e.g.-if anyone may think it's not right--avoid it.

Followed that rule for 40+ years of a teaching career, and was glad I did. Open door at my office wasn’t just an invitation for my students. It was a form of professional self-protection as well. And I had a faculty office-mate, and we knew when to stay close by as a potential witness to any conversations, etc. I was very protective and caring for my students, but one has to know where to draw the line.

Reaction Score
Connecticut had a similar case with at least 500 victims (Dr. Reardon). It makes you wonder how many other creeps are out there.

Reaction Score
Connecticut had a similar case with at least 500 victims (Dr. Reardon). It makes you wonder how many other creeps are out there.
There are as many "creeps" as are allowed to be "creeps"

Reaction Score
Followed that rule for 40+ years of a teaching career, and was glad I did. Open door at my office wasn’t just an invitation for my students. It was a form of professional self-protection as well. And I had a faculty office-mate, and we knew when to stay close by as a potential witness to any conversations, etc. I was very protective and caring for my students, but one has to know where to draw the line.
Some, either ignorant or by design, didn't do as you did--and lived to regret it. Maybe it's time to return to some of the rules/axioms of a more repressive time, times apparently more protective of women.
"One has to know where to draw the line!" Amen.

Reaction Score
Makes Sandusky look small time (unless you were a victim). The report of an institutional "remedy", on paper only, makes the M State Admin. complicit and culpable to me.
While there is much around the Sandusky situation I never agreed with--- some of those boys were very young.
We always get wrapped up in NUMBERS of victims. How many beyond ONE makes this really bad?
I can tell you , except for my anger at the earlier victims for not coming forward,which would have protected mine, it would not matter if my daughter was victim 4 or 440. A victim is a victim. My wife told my daughters if they felt uncomfortable in any situation--leave, I never fully understood that until now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The MSU athletics director saw the light (maybe), as he resigned today.
Yea, I think the light he saw was a bunch of really angry people carrying torches.

It wasn’t just the situation with Larry Nasser, but also a story that broke today indicating that the MSU Athletic Dept repeatedly covered up sexual assaults committed by football & basketball players along with one basketball assistant coach.

Similar situation to Baylor. I anticipate that Mark D’antonio & Tom Izzo will both be on the hot seat next.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I haven't spoken on the BY about this because it's just been too emotional for me. I haven't read the above listed article, but this is just a tip of the iceberg.

This whole affair isn't simply an indictment of MSU, a university that clearly didn't even bother to follow the minimum of statutory procedure. That did its best to minimize the effects, results, feelings and abuse dished out by this monster. This monster whose abuse is the worst in recorded US history. This is also an indictment on the USOC which must have gotten wind of this any number of times over the 25 years of criminally abusive behavior against young baby girls, by this man whose name I will never speak, and chose not to do their due diligence. This is an indictment against some (clearly not all) parents who also must have heard something from their baby girls and also chose to do nothing. This is also an indictment on the media who also must have heard something about the abuse by this worthless turd and chose to do nothing. This is also an indictment against a clearly growing sector of society. A sector that is encouraging a culture that minimizes the voices of abuse against women simply because it inconveniently displaces their adoration for a person or movement.

Let us embrace this name: Rachael Denhollander. The first woman to speak out, and the last woman to read her statement before Judge Aquilina. Rachael Denhollander. One of 169 women whose voices were finally heard. Good on you Rachael, who during her speech asked the question "How much is a little girl worth?" That's an easy answer for me.

Everything.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In a sense, I am a little concerned that combining the assaults / cover ups of other MSU programs will blur the Olympic Gymnastic situation and the need to go after each and every enabler. They cant lose focus of that case (remember the ages of the victims and the position of the victimizer). It can't just turn in to an MSU issue.

Edit: Jordy G said it all far better than my few words.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In a sense, I am a little concerned that combining the assaults / cover ups of other MSU programs will blur the Olympic Gymnastic situation and the need to go after each and every enabler. They cant lose focus of that case (remember the ages of the victims and the position of the victimizer). It can't just turn in to an MSU issue.

Edit: Jordy G said it all far better than my few words.
Thanks eebmg.

The real dirty little secret is how many hidden abusers are out there. In girls and women's soccer, softball, in field hockey. How many more in boy's basketball, football, baseball, hockey.

I've just finished watching the Netflix show "Mindhunter" for the 2nd time. Terrific show about the first profilers in the FBI who ultimately coined the term "serial killers". They interviewed their first subject, Ed Kemper (played by Cameron Britton), the imposing 6'9" monster that brutally murdered, dismembered and then assaulted at least 8 people. By the way, Kemper has waived his right to a parole hearing since 1985. At one point during a lull in the conversation Kemper calmly says, "You know, there's a lot more like me", which just astounds the 2 agents, Holden Ford and Bill Tench. Kemper estimates there are at least 30-40 yet undiscovered monsters roaming the country.

I of course won't estimate, but there are still plenty more undiscovered abusers out there. We can only hope the voices of their victims will finally be heard, loud and clear.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Retired, not resigned, big difference. He will still collect his pension.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Retired, not resigned, big difference. He will still collect his pension.

If he’s at retirement age, he gets his pension either way. If you mean “perks,” that’s another topic altogether. Typically, a pension is an annuity into which the employee pays a share over a period of many years, as does the employer. But I get your point, I think. He was allowed to resign, as opposed to being fired. “Terminated for cause” in the athletics world often kicks in contract provisions that have no necessary relationship to pensions. That said, the two can be linked in cases where the employer agrees to pay 100% of the annuity inputs as long as the individual remains employed.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This poignant pic was in the Washington Post this morning. At least the students support the victims:

imrs.php

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If he’s at retirement age, he gets his pension either way. If you mean “perks,” that’s another topic altogether. Typically, a pension is an annuity into which the employee pays a share over a period of many years, as does the employer. But I get your point, I think. He was allowed to resign, as opposed to being fired. “Terminated for cause” in the athletics world often kicks in contract provisions that have no necessary relationship to pensions. That said, the two can be linked in cases where the employer agrees to pay 100% of the annuity inputs as long as the individual remains employed.
If he resigned for cause or was fired for cause his retirement could be challenged in court, unless Michigan has changed their law since I was stationed their in the late 80's.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
If he resigned for cause or was fired for cause his retirement could be challenged in court, unless Michigan has changed their law since I was stationed their in the late 80's.

Yes, states vary. I’m in Illinois, where for the most part, he could be challenged only if he had obtained his annuity illegally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom