OT - Mets finally have a no-hitter | The Boneyard

OT - Mets finally have a no-hitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr006

Reaction Score
Woohoo! Santana. 'Bout time. Maybe more proof that the Mayans were on to something - LOL

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
He / they got a gift when a hit down the 3rd base line was called foul. Ball clearly hit the line. Asterisk that no-hitter.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmmmm, Tom Terrific never had one huh? I did not know that.

Reaction Score

In 1969, Tom Seaver was two outs from throwing a no hitter against the Chicago Cubs when unheralded Jimmy Qualls hit a clean opposite field single to left center.

BTW: I was at Shea Stadium in 1964 when former Kentucky Senator Jim Bunning of the Philles no-hit the Mets. The Mets were an awful team in 1964, but still...

Reaction Score
and the first no-no against the Cardinals in 22 years. Ump blew the call on Beltran's hit, which was clearly fair.

Reaction Score
In 1969, Tom Seaver was two outs from throwing a no hitter against the Chicago Cubs when unheralded Jimmy Qualls hit a clean opposite field single to left center.

BTW: I was at Shea Stadium in 1964 when former Kentucky Senator Jim Bunning of the Philles no-hit the Mets. The Mets were an awful team in 1964, but still...

Bunnings no hitter was a perfect game!

Reaction Score

Seaver took 3 no hitters into the 9th inning before losing them all as a Met. He did throw a no no with the REDS.

Reaction Score
He / they got a gift when a hit down the 3rd base line was called foul. Ball clearly hit the line. Asterisk that no-hitter.

There are NO asterisks in the record books. Even Rodger Maris' asterick has been removed.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
There are NO asterisks in the record books. Even Rodger Maris' asterick has been removed.
Fine, but as far as I'm concerned the Mets and Santana still don't have a no-hitter. Blatantly bad call.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Fine, but as far as I'm concerned the Mets and Santana still don't have a no-hitter. Blatantly bad call.
A blatantly bad call cost a perfect game two years ago, its still not in the record books. Bad calls are part of the game. Twenty years from now no one will remember the call.

Reaction Score
Bunnings no hitter was a perfect game!

It was, in fact, a perfect game; Saved by a great defensive play by second baseman Tony Taylor of a wicked Joe Christopher line drive up that Taylor was able to knock down, recover, and make the throw to first.

Reaction Score
A blatantly bad call cost a perfect game two years ago, its still not in the record books. Bad calls are part of the game. Twenty years from now no one will remember the call.

Agreed.

mr006

Reaction Score

IIRC, Seaver actually had a perfect game going. Just amazing with the pitchers that they've had, none of them had no-hitters for the Mets - though plenty went on to have no hitters elsewhere (Seaver, David Cone, Dwight Gooden, some guy named Nolan Ryan...)

mr006

Reaction Score

Agreed on both sides. But until the umps can get overruled on such plays, what they say goes, and it's in the books. Hopefully it won't take another 20 years to get another one; and hopefully, the next one won't have that problem hanging over it. Besides, it was a matter of a couple inches... close enough? :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
i still remember Denkinger's blown call. 27 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom