OT- Meniscus Injuries | The Boneyard

OT- Meniscus Injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hope I spelled that right.

A HS player I know had a Meniscus injury operated on and returned to playing a couple of weeks later. Her father told me about the operation. I didn't know anything about those injuries and just commented to him that the only injury I suffered when I played was a sprained ankle one time.

I noticed that a college player had the operation and is out for the season. Is this HS girl endangering a possible shot at playing in college by playing again so soon after that injury?

Reaction Score

A HS player I know had a Meniscus injury operated on and returned to playing a couple of weeks later. Her father told me about the operation. I didn't know anything about those injuries and just commented to him that the only injury I suffered when I played was a sprained ankle one time.

I noticed that a college player had the operation and is out for the season. Is this HS girl endangering a possible shot at playing in college by playing again so soon after that injury?

Recovery time depends on whether a torn meniscus is repaired or just cleaned up. The majority of the time, there are one or more loose pieces that are removed surgically. It is arthroscopic and recovery time is short. Sometimes it can be repaired, which is better for the long-run but has a significantly longer recovery time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Wide range of injuries covered by that general description some of them extremely minor and others quite serious with a wide range of recovery times, not unlike a general description of 'sprained ankle.' Basically you have to trust the advice of the professionals and the patient's own sensations. If the doctors say 'good to go' and the patient is pain free and confident in the strength of the joint all should be well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I tore my meniscus when I was in my early 20's and had arthroscopic surgery to trim the cartilage so it wouldn't tear more. I took 2 days off from work, taking Tylenol for pain, and was back in the gym in a week. If the high school player had a similar surgery, I could very easily see her back at bball in a couple weeks without doing any harm.

I had more arthroscopic surgery about 3 years ago to clean up some scar tissue and remove some loose junk that was floating around in the joint. I took oxycodone at night for 2 nights so I could sleep and limped around on crutches for a week. When my surgeon pronounced me fit for light jogging two weeks later, I gave him a look (he's big on using diet and exercise before medical intervention) because I was still moving around like an old lady.

Ah, youth.

P.S. My orthopedic surgeon, who is awesome, likes to blast rock and roll while he's operating. When I got wheeled into the operating room, they were playing Michael Jackson. I was kinda loopy from whatever sedative they gave me and I announced in a loud voice there was no way they were giving me propofol while they were playing Michael Jackson. The nurses started cracking up and were still laughing when I went under. True story.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
P.S. My orthopedic surgeon, who is awesome, likes to blast rock and roll while he's operating. When I got wheeled into the operating room, they were playing Michael Jackson. I was kinda loopy from whatever sedative they gave me and I announced in a loud voice there was no way they were giving me propofol while they were playing Michael Jackson. The nurses started cracking up and were still laughing when I went under. True story.

Being wheeled in to "Thriller" would have me get up from the Gurney and run, even with a bum knee. Just curious did your OS come into the OR and "Moonwalk" with a scalpel in his hand ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@stamfordhusky & @HuskyNan pretty much nailed this. The interior tears are repaired by stitching and rehab and the exterior tears are shaved off. Interior tears take longer to heal and rehab and the exterior tears that are shaven off come with an increased (almost guaranteed) risk of arthritis in the future. Unfortunately I have one daughter that has had both types.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I tore my meniscus when I was in my early 20's and had arthroscopic surgery to trim the cartilage so it wouldn't tear more. I took 2 days off from work, taking Tylenol for pain, and was back in the gym in a week. If the high school player had a similar surgery, I could very easily see her back at bball in a couple weeks without doing any harm.

I had more arthroscopic surgery about 3 years ago to clean up some scar tissue and remove some loose junk that was floating around in the joint. I took oxycodone at night for 2 nights so I could sleep and limped around on crutches for a week. When my surgeon pronounced me fit for light jogging two weeks later, I gave him a look (he's big on using diet and exercise before medical intervention) because I was still moving around like an old lady.

Ah, youth.

I'm really surprised he didn't tell you to quit jogging entirely. I'm currently recovering from an ACL reconstruction in late October, had meniscus shaved in '92 which was a piece of cake.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm really surprised he didn't tell you to quit jogging entirely. I'm currently recovering from an ACL reconstruction in late October, had meniscus shaved in '92 which was a piece of cake.
Nope, he's all about exercise and keeping the leg muscles strong to support the joints. I have been advised to avoid cutting sports - basketball, skiing, soccer...advice I pretty much ignored since I did all of those plus lacrosse.

I tore my ACL in middle school but back then, MRIs weren't used so I was put in a cast from ankle to mid-thigh. The ACL is still flopping around in there. The lack of the ACL probably facilitated the meniscus tear, which occurred after a kid ran over the front of my skis and my knee went one way and the skis went another. I could have the surgery to repair the ACL but the chances of my needing knee replacement surgery is about 80% so, what's the point? The MD said pain is usually the determining factor for knee replacement surgery but I have none (knock on wood) as long as I exercise and keep myself at a healthy weight.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Nope, he's all about exercise and keeping the leg muscles strong to support the joints. I have been advised to avoid cutting sports - basketball, skiing, soccer...advice I pretty much ignored since I did all of those plus lacrosse.

I tore my ACL in middle school but back then, MRIs weren't used so I was put in a cast from ankle to mid-thigh. The ACL is still flopping around in there. The lack of the ACL probably facilitated the meniscus tear, which occurred after a kid ran over the front of my skis and my knee went one way and the skis went another. I could have the surgery to repair the ACL but the chances of my needing knee replacement surgery is about 80% so, what's the point? The MD said pain is usually the determining factor for knee replacement surgery but I have none (knock on wood) as long as I exercise and keep myself at a healthy weight.
Same here, found out i didnt have an acl when they did the first surgery. It got looser over ti!e and was fraying the cartilage, my surgeon thinks it can buy me an extra decade before considering replacement. But no jogging on the repaired knee to preserve what cartilage remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom