OT: Memphis interviewing Tubby Smith | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Memphis interviewing Tubby Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The P5 is based solely on football , half the P5 basketball jobs are duds,
There are significantly better jobs at traditional BB schools than getting pounded by the better schools in the conference annually and just waiting for the next guy to take your place.

Reaction Score
For the AAC ...

Tubby is a good hire for Memphis. He can easily grab a local dude and get great local recruits ... which you can't do in Lubbock. His record, with lots of stops, is actually very good. You have to wonder what happened in Minnesota? And the answer comes in Lubbock. Both those jobs are tough places to compete in their respective conferences. Memphis is a better stop and you can really get great hoopsters. The worst thing about this is it does not bring the Memphis fans - post Pastner - back easily.

With Dawkins, Dunleavy, Smith, Haith, Brown, Sampson, Dunphy, Ollie, Cronin ... you really only have Antigua and Lebo as really questionable. That's a tough little league.

Reaction Score
Provided no one gets a quick P5 invite, it's going to be interesting to see how things develop over the next few years. Honestly, is there a league with a deeper group of coaches, as far as experience, and accomplishments? Maybe the ACC? While of course, everyone would prefer to be in a P5 league, but there may be some things in this league that can be exploited, provided the performance is there. The biggest, from a UConn perspective, is that if the teams located in urban areas become strong, UConn's profile will become strong in some areas that produce a great deal of talent. Houston, Dallas, Memphis, and Florida could become areas that produce players for UConn.

Reaction Score
Since the split is this the first case of a HC going from a P5 that wanted to keep him to a G5?
Yeah, Heath went to Tulsa from Moo, but that truly was a case of getting out of town before the law arrived. Since he left Missouri has been put on probation and is truly one of the worst teams in Division I basketball.

Reaction Score
Are you following that guy?
ha no, just did a search for KO on twitter. but it's the offseason and this guy is still getting his shots in on KO.

Reaction Score
Granted, it's not apples-to-apples, but Hopkins epic meltdown with Boeheim's final four team should quell the narrative that Ollie merely babysat Calhoun's kids en route to a title (a premise of which is incorrect, anyway, but still).

They went, I think, 4-5, losing games to Georgetown, Clemson, and St. Johns. They lost by double-digits to the two good teams they played and their four wins came over Colgate, Cornell, Montana State and Texas Southern.

Talk about driving your old man's car into a telephone pole - that stretch nearly represented the difference between a final four season and a trip to the NIT. Of course, they weren't world-beaters even with Boeheim, but Cuse fans should tread lightly on the subject.

Reaction Score
Granted, it's not apples-to-apples, but Hopkins epic meltdown with Boeheim's final four team should quell the narrative that Ollie merely babysat Calhoun's kids en route to a title (a premise of which is incorrect, anyway, but still).

They went, I think, 4-5, losing games to Georgetown, Clemson, and St. Johns. They lost by double-digits to the two good teams they played and their four wins came over Colgate, Cornell, Montana State and Texas Southern.

Talk about driving your old man's car into a telephone pole - that stretch nearly represented the difference between a final four season and a trip to the NIT. Of course, they weren't world-beaters even with Boeheim, but Cuse fans should tread lightly on the subject.

And then the NCAA had the courtesy to ignore this disastrous stretch in order to let Syracuse into the field.

On KO vs. Tubby, it's an analogy that's going to be made. In 10 years we'll be able to say whether KO is Tubby or whether he's more.

On the specific question of credit for their titles, KO clearly deserves more than Tubby. It was KO's team for 2 years, rather than just 1, and he started at a much more difficult place than Tubby. KO inherited a team with numerous defections from a team who got blown out in their first round NCAAT game; Tubby inherited the national runner-up.

Reaction Score
And then the NCAA had the courtesy to ignore this disastrous stretch in order to let Syracuse into the field.

On KO vs. Tubby, it's an analogy that's going to be made. In 10 years we'll be able to say whether KO is Tubby or whether he's more.

On the specific question of credit for their titles, KO clearly deserves more than Tubby. It was KO's team for 2 years, rather than just 1, and he started at a much more difficult place than Tubby. KO inherited a team with numerous defections from a team who got blown out in their first round NCAAT game; Tubby inherited the national runner-up.
Tubby's NC team had lost its 2nd leading scorer, 17.7 plus their lead guard and another guy who averaged 9pts per game.
Tubby had some talent coming back but I still think he did a good job.
He wasn't the recruiter Pitino or Calipari are but his team's where tough outs in the Tourny .
I lived in Ky in the late 90's the biggest complaint from the good ole boys was he played his kid to much.

Reaction Score
Is there anything out there about who he is thinking for assistants?

Reaction Score
Is there anything out there about who he is thinking for assistants?
I know you're talkig about Tubby, but for Pastner at GTech, his assistants cannot play golf:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I know you're talkig about Tubby, but for Pastner at GTech, his assistants cannot play golf:

Smart move in a working environment. I have nothing against golfers per se except that golfers talk and think about nothing else but golf. Save it for retirement . Too many responsibilities in coaching to be a golf addict.

Proof?
Jim Boeheim the most avid golfer in the ncaa.
40 years at a high major. 1 less title than Tyler Olander. The results ( or lack therof ) speak for themselves. Pastner on to something.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I've always liked Tubby Smith. I think his presence gives our conference at least a bit more credibility.

Reaction Score
I've always liked Tubby Smith. I think his presence gives our conference at least a bit more credibility.
Agree 100%. It's hard to dismiss a league that has Kevin Ollie, Larry Brown, Tubby Smith, Mike Dunleavy, Kelvin Sampson, Mick Cronin, and Fran Dunphy coaching in it. Even Frank Haith has won a lot of games.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. It's hard to dismiss a league that has Kevin Ollie, Larry Brown, Tubby Smith, Mike Dunleavy, Kelvin Sampson, Mick Cronin, and Fran Dunphy coaching in it. Even Frank Haith has won a lot of games.

True, but it's the media that makes the conference, not the coaches or the basketball. It's unfortunate, but if you don't have ESPN on your side, you've got no shot at being truly respected. If all of these coaching legends do a great job, they'll cannibalize each other and when there is a bunch of .500 teams in the conference, they'll all be declared crappy. Lots of Final Fours would be required to overcome the media bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom