OT: Memphis interviewing Tubby Smith | The Boneyard

OT: Memphis interviewing Tubby Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All signs pointing to Tubby being the next Memphis head coach. And Memphis fans don't appear to be happy after flirting with the thought of hiring Gregg Marshall and Buzz Williams.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The AAC is where all the formerly good P5 coaches go to die.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with Tubby coming to the AAC
Another NC coach to add to KO and Brown
Could be worse - no way Williams or Marshall were going there - UConn yes -Memphis no

Reaction Score
Dan Wolken
✔‎@DanWolken

Texas Tech is certainly making a strong push to keep Tubby Smith. If Tubby takes it this far and spurns Memphis, that would be a big blow
7:09 PM - 13 Apr 2016

Dan Wolken
✔‎@DanWolken

What I would fear from the Memphis perspective is that its overreactive president, if spurned, will immediately go to Penny Hardaway
7:12 PM - 13 Apr 2016

Dan Wolken
✔‎@DanWolken

Remember, this is a president who came up with the idea to honor John Calipari, polled Twitter, reversed course and embarrassed himself.
7:13 PM - 13 Apr 2016

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gary Parrish:
Tubby Smith has reached an agreement in principle to be Memphis' next coach, a source told @CBSSports. Formal announcement expected soon.

presskh

Memphis Fan
Reaction Score
Many Memphis fans weren't too thrilled about this at first, including myself. However, after rethinking, I believe having a proven coach who can actually coach and demands the respect of his players will be a welcome change from Pastner. Recruiting is said to be his weak point, but if we can get some assistants who can help with that, I think we will be in good shape, at least for 5 or so years, when I would expect him to retire. Although I was shaking my head at first about Tubby, I have warmed up to the idea and belief he is a definite upgrade to what we had. Welcome to the AAC, Tubby!

Reaction Score
Many Memphis fans weren't too thrilled about this at first, including myself. However, after rethinking, I believe having a proven coach who can actually coach and demands the respect of his players will be a welcome change from Pastner. Recruiting is said to be his weak point, but if we can get some assistants who can help with that, I think we will be in good shape, at least for 5 or so years, when I would expect him to retire. Although I was shaking my head at first about Tubby, I have warmed up to the idea and belief he is a definite upgrade to what we had. Welcome to the AAC, Tubby!
I hope u r right. I was hoping for a Marshall or more of a splash but I guess it could be worse, add Penny and some recruiters and you may have something. May be the best way for Penny to get acclimated to major bball coaching and have Tubby's replacement in waiting or Damon if he does well out west.

Reaction Score

To be honest, Tejas Tech is not an easy place to recruit to. Tubby was named Big XII Coach of the year, which was a joke, but he did a fine job at Tech, leading them to a 7th place conference finish and a spot in the big dance. Memphis could do a whole lot worse.

Reaction Score
And now, the new UNLV coach, who has been there for about two weeks, is the rumored favorite for the Texas Tech job.

Reaction Score
he made the tourney at Texas Tech(which was a disaster when he took over) and Minnesota, its way more easier to win at Memphis than both those places, I like the hire

Reaction Score
And now, the new UNLV coach, who has been there for about two weeks, is the rumored favorite for the Texas Tech job.
Why??? The Tech job is truly a dumpster fire of a job. UNLV is a much better job by far.

Reaction Score
After Bobby Knight left Tech his son Pat took over. One of my all time favorite quotes came from Part Knight who, after getting rolled by 50 at Allen Field House by Kansas said "It was like we walked into a Lions den wearing a Meat Necklace."

Reaction Score
Shaka Smart went from VCU to Texas but G Marshall is going to go from Wichita St to Memphis ?
that was the early scuttlebutt. Knew it was a longshot but lots of tweets/message board fodder on it.

Reaction Score
This is actually a pretty big statement, a nationally-known coach leaving a P5 job for the AAC.

Reaction Score
Since the split is this the first case of a HC going from P5 to G5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom