OT Mccaffrey to skip Sun Bowl to focus on draft | The Boneyard

OT Mccaffrey to skip Sun Bowl to focus on draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I dont know exactly my take on this is but if a Uconn player did this I think we would all be pissed. I understand why he's doing this its the Sun Bowl and not the CFP but I think its selfish and fair to your teammates. You didnt see Donald Brown skip the International Bowl, he wouldn't have done that to his team mates even though he knew he was going pro.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Off the cuff, seems like a really bad move. Really bad....unless he is injured.

Reaction Score
I dont know exactly my take on this is but if a Uconn player did this I think we would all be pissed. I understand why he's doing this its the Sun Bowl and not the CFP but I think its selfish and fair to your teammates. You didnt see Donald Brown skip the International Bowl, he wouldn't have done that to his team mates even though he knew he was going pro.
Agree 100%...I wonder if there are other reasons besides "getting ready for the draft".

Reaction Score

not fair

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know if Brown was a bona fide 1st rounder prior to that game. McCaffrey might be a top 10 or top 5 pick.

Reaction Score
He's earned his top 40 draft place, why risk his paycheck on supplying free entertainment on an exhibition game? I'm all for his and Fournette's decision.

For others they can play their way into a better draft pick with a strong outing. If I'm a top notch kid, I'm sitting until I get paid

Reaction Score
Even though you bought tickets and arranged transportation I am skipping the next two concerts in Hartford and Pittsburgh to focus on one coming up in L.A. with a bigger venue and TV cameras. My band members are in concurrence with my decision. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Even though you bought tickets and arranged transportation I am skipping the next two concerts in Hartford and Pittsburgh to focus on one coming up in L.A. with a bigger venue and TV cameras. My band members are in concurrence with my decision. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If players were paid by the game, that would be a valid comparison.

Be that as it may, this type of decision is made all the time, but this is the first I've heard of it at the "amateur" level. Heck, Lebron, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love did it just last week and denied the fans in Memphis who did exactly that.

On the other hand if this become more prevalent, the committees of the more prestigious bowls are going to have to start getting creative to ensure the top talent plays. I have the feeling that the door to an 8 (or more) team playoff just got kicked wide open.

Reaction Score
I think the only ones that have a right to be upset by this are his teammates. If he has their blessing, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's a smart move. If he doesn't have their blessings it's still a smart move professionally. Can I see some people questioning his commitment to his teammates? Yeah, I can, but he is transitioning from amateur to professional. This is a professional move.

Reaction Score

It's highly unlikely that a band member is going to tear an ACL during a concert; thus costing himself millions.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I love it. His team isn't going to a major bowl, what does he have left to prove? Coaches leave between the regular season and bowl games all the time what is wrong with players doing it? Unless you're someone from the old school "Love of the team," blah blah.

Reaction Score
Very selfish. But for his teammates he would not be where he is. They commit to play (for good and bad) for their team. A real dirt bag, no integrity move. He might get a little prison justice in the NFL carrying that reputation into the league.

Reaction Score
I love it. His team isn't going to a major bowl, what does he have left to prove? Coaches leave between the regular season and bowl games all the time what is wrong with players doing it? Unless you're someone from the old school "Love of the team," blah blah.
Yeah, that whole integrity thing is so inconvenient ....he made a commitment and he needs to be man and honor it.

Reaction Score
Fournette is doing the same thing. And McCraffey isn't going top 10. Kiper has him at 28 and the 4th best RB. He should be a first round pick, maybe top 20. But most would be shocked if he went in the top 10.

Reaction Score

Comparison makes no sense. Your band was getting paid at each stop and wasn't risking career ending injury.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that whole integrity thing is so inconvenient ....he made a commitment and he needs to be man and honor it.
LMAO, must nice and comfy sitting in that bubble judging the character of someone you don't even know based on a personal decision that doesn't break any sort of laws, rules, ethics, or morals. Give me a break with the "commitment" nonsense. He could have transferred anytime he wanted to, and the coach could have rescinded his scholarship after any prior season. There's no commitment beyond one season in college football, come to grips with it.

He isn't coming back for his senior year either....what a . :rolleyes:

The team will miss him. But this isn't the playoffs. It's a mediocre bowl game. The players don't get extra SWAG for winning. This game really doesn't impact the team's future, or the rest of the players other than it being one more game they have the opportunity to win or lose. And if they think they can't win without him they shouldn't step out on the field ever again.

Reaction Score
Lol this is going to piss all the rah rah football guys off so much and I love it. It's the Sun Bowl, the guy has a future to think about where one injury can make a million dollar difference. He's a fringe 1st rounder who will need to impress the scouts at the combines to move up and set himself up for better financial stability. Maybe if he wasn't an amateur athlete who has been pimped out for 4 years than there'd be an argument but as long as his future well being relies on him being healthy then I don't blame him for choosing that over a free iPad and fleece pullovers

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

What does "be a man" mean? He is looking out for his best interesting as any person should do. What happens if he tears his ACL goes from a 1st round pick to a 4th round pick? What happens then? People who think like you will be like "Well he was a man" and then go on and forget about him...?

Reaction Score
So once he has established himself as a pro prospect, is it ok to sit out a conference championship game? Or a rivalry game? The last 3 games of the season?

Would you be ok with someone sitting out the NCAA tournament? Most guys know they'll be drafted by then. The occasional borderline guy moves up to draftable and sometimes a guy moves up to lottery but not usually.

FWIW I hate that coaches leave before their teams play in bowl games. I wish it could be changed but I'm not sure how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom