OT: Masters thoughts anyone? | The Boneyard

OT: Masters thoughts anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Darn entertaining on Sunday!

Bubba is fun to watch....his game seems suited for Augusta and for the British Open...not so much our Open or the PGA. He isn't big....doesn't take it way back on his backswing....and yet creates tremendous clubhead speed....how? BTW: as noted in the broadcast, he is married to a former Georgia and WNBA player...I don't recall her at all but she must have been pretty good. She towers over Bubba.

Watching Player [76 years]...Palmer [82]...Nicklaus [72] in the opening ceremonial tee shots: It's shocking how Gary has let himself go....looks like he has put on at least 5 ounces in the past 50 years.

For all the talk of the rains and the ensuing mud balls I didn't see one lie in the fairway that wasn't perfect nor did I see one putt even bobble a little. Is there any course in the world that is in better condition?

What does Bubba select for the Champions' Dinner next April? Got to be some kind of unpretentious southern cuisine....ribs et al.

The albatross by Louis on #2....not sure I have ever seen one before...either in person or on TV.

Tiger: paralysis by analysis...imo.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tiger has lost it. Doesn't have the Mental strengths that allowed him to overcome all adversities and got into the heads of the other golfers that when you went up against him, you were going to lose. Now other golfers own him and can beat him at his game.

Too many coaches, too many swing changes. No memory muscle on his swing to rely on. What's most amazing is how inconsistent his putting has become and that' s mental.

Really don't know why, but I've never like Phil Mickelson, so I'm glad he didn't win.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I liked the Faldo comment about Woods kicking a club "He's lost his game . . . and he's lost his mind." Woods will probably be fined for another public display of poor sportsmanship. Just another example of his boorish behavior on the course.

One of the best Masters in years. I was rooting for Phil, but Watson deserved the win. The shot he hit to win was just amazing. I was especially impressed that he was able to hold it together under all that pressure. On Saturday he had commented during an interview that he was working hard on controlling his emotions.

I got to see an Albatross! The rarest shot in golf. A shot I've never seen on TV - or anywhere else for that matter though I missed on by just 2' once.

Nice to see Freddy in the mix at least for the first round.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Darn entertaining on Sunday!

Bubba is fun to watch....his game seems suited for Augusta and for the British Open...not so much our Open or the PGA. He isn't big....doesn't take it way back on his backswing....and yet creates tremendous clubhead speed....how? BTW: as noted in the broadcast, he is married to a former Georgia and WNBA player...I don't recall her at all but she must have been pretty good. She towers over Bubba.

Watching Player [76 years]...Palmer [82]...Nicklaus [72] in the opening ceremonial tee shots: It's shocking how Gary has let himself go....looks like he has put on at least 5 ounces in the past 50 years.

For all the talk of the rains and the ensuing mud balls I didn't see one lie in the fairway that wasn't perfect nor did I see one putt even bobble a little. Is there any course in the world that is in better condition?

What does Bubba select for the Champions' Dinner next April? Got to be some kind of unpretentious southern cuisine....ribs et al.

The albatross by Louis on #2....not sure I have ever seen one before...either in person or on TV.

Tiger: paralysis by analysis...imo.
I looked it up. Angie Ball is Bubba's wife. She is 6'4". In the pics with both Bubba is nearly her height. So I googled that, it shows him at 6'3". I wouldn't have guessed he was that tall.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bubba is 6'2" or 6'3". Jim Nantz is 6'5" and there wasn't much difference. Angie is listed at 6'3" and 6'4".

Bubba's game really does seem suited for Augusta, particularly since it was lengthened. Bubba admits that he is a bundle of nerves, but he really does have game. He hits shots unlike anyone else, and his length is ridiculous. He reminds me a little of John Daly and Lee Trevino--very unorthodox, but very skilled.

I was torn in the playoff. I like Louis too. He was solid, hitting the ball long and straight and making clutch par putts. We'll hear from him again. He almost was on the short, but illustrious list of those who have won at St. Andrews and Augusta.

It was great to see the original Big 3. Gary still does 1,000 situps per day. Probably still does the finger tip pushups too.

Augusta is amazing. Going in the back gate, you leave a nondescript area with strip malls and enter a place where the soil is amazingly fertile (it was a nursery). There are NO bare spots and NO weeds. The grass is really perfect.

I made an albatross some years ago--a short par 5 with the tee moved up due to renovation and a 5-wood on a blind second shot. I looked and looked for the ball before finding it. I hardly had any 4's on my card that day, but a 2 was really special.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Bubba sure was fun to watch - hope he comes back to the Travelers Championship in Cromwell again this year.

When Bubba won here in 2010, his wife Angie reconnected with CD during the Celebrity Pro-Am. Evidently CD had once tried to recruit Angie for UConn.
I guess wherever you go, there is always a UCWBB connection!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really don't know why, but I've never like Phil Mickelson, so I'm glad he didn't win.
Agree. Don't always care who wins as long as it's not Mickelson.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I know several guys that dislike Mickelson and I've never been able to figure out why. I've never met him but just based on the interviews I've seen and read and his on course behavior I can't figure out why he's so polarizing. Woods is an entirely different matter. While I recognize the skills he had, my impression of Woods was formed during the Fuzzy Zoeller fiasco and it hasn't changed.

What I thought was a telling comment about Mickelson during the broadcast - When the 3 golf legends (Player, Palmer and Nicklaus) hit ceremonial tee shots to open the competiiton early Thursday morning, Mickelson was at the first tee wearing his green jacket. I took that as a sign of respect for the tournament and for the 3 guys on the tee.

Milford - I never thought of Daly as a shotmaker. A boomer and a very talented guy but I don't remember him as being especially creative. I was a fan early on but after a while his loser personality really turned me off. I played a round with Trevino at a military outing many years ago and he was a hoot. Pretty good game too.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I see that this is the year for Skinny Phil. It has always amazed me how he yoyo'd.

Reaction Score
I see that this is the year for Skinny Phil. It has always amazed me how he yoyo'd.

I think he's been in pretty good shape for the last several years, but there was a
time, not too many years ago, when he was in serious need of a good sports bra.

Don't really understand the antipathy to Phil. He seems unfailingly pleasant, always
acknowledges the support of the crowd, and is a solid family man. He plays a
pretty exciting brand of golf too. What's not to like?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't really understand the antipathy to Phil. He seems unfailingly pleasant, always
acknowledges the support of the crowd, and is a solid family man. He plays a
pretty exciting brand of golf too. What's not to like?
Mostly for me it's Mickelson fans.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford - I never thought of Daly as a shotmaker. A boomer and a very talented guy but I don't remember him as being especially creative. I was a fan early on but after a while his loser personality really turned me off. I played a round with Trevino at a military outing many years ago and he was a hoot. Pretty good game too.
I'd agree. Daly was not such a shotmaker, but he was unorthodox and had both tremendous power and a delicate touch around the greens. He was also a small town guy who had difficulty with pressure and adjusting to the limelight. I hope that Bubba doesn't have John's demons.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Mostly for me it's Mickelson fans.

So you root against someone who actually seems rather decent because you don't like the people who like him? People, I might add, that you don't even know.

I think if you take three seconds and think about the logic in that, you'll likely come to the conclusion that there is no logic in that.

Reaction Score
I know several guys that dislike Mickelson and I've never been able to figure out why. I've never met him but just based on the interviews I've seen and read and his on course behavior I can't figure out why he's so polarizing. Woods is an entirely different matter. While I recognize the skills he had, my impression of Woods was formed during the Fuzzy Zoeller fiasco and it hasn't changed.

What I thought was a telling comment about Mickelson during the broadcast - When the 3 golf legends (Player, Palmer and Nicklaus) hit ceremonial tee shots to open the competiiton early Thursday morning, Mickelson was at the first tee wearing his green jacket. I took that as a sign of respect for the tournament and for the 3 guys on the tee.

I was never a big fan of his, going back to the Open at Shinnecock that he gave away. Always seemed reckless and prone to become unglued at any moment. I started changing my mind over subsequent years. He's the anti-Tiger. I root for him just for that.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I was sitting in the bar at Alta, pretty exhausted after a marvelous day and saw about the last 1/3 rd of the final roundup up until Bubba at 17 and the impression I had was that it resembled a demolition derby.
No one could Make a put and drives all over the place; one of the leaders hit his drive short of the brook; hardly ever seen. Is my impression wrong? Not a golfer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So you root against someone who actually seems rather decent because you don't like the people who like him? People, I might add, that you don't even know.

I think if you take three seconds and think about the logic in that, you'll likely come to the conclusion that there is no logic in that.
True. But I still root against him. Sports isn't based on logic. Is it logical to cheer for teams/players that are never going to win? Is it logical to spend time, money, energy watching other people play games, you yourself could be out playing (granted not as well)? Is it logical athletes are paid enormous sums of money to play games? Logic has nothing to do with sports fans, antifans.

I root against the giants, yankees, redsox (sometimes), mets, cubs, scum (tottenham), real, manu (most of the time) redskins, jets, notre dame, bc, alabama, florida, ohio st, tebow, colts, mannings, tennessee, dungy, parcells, williams sisters, knicks, lakers, ....... and for a lot of them it's because of the fans. (other's, it's just because of what they are)

And actually for the most part it is based on fans I know, have met, had conversations with. Not intimately, but I can see their handiwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom