OT:Maryland confirms to Yahoo Sports that it has been subpoenaed in connection with the federal | The Boneyard

OT:Maryland confirms to Yahoo Sports that it has been subpoenaed in connection with the federal

Reaction Score
BOd.gif

Reaction Score
Diamond Stone
Could be a la Kansas hiring Danny Manning's father, but Maryland's not KU. On the other hand, it's the same KU one-time Maryland recruit Silvio De Sousa ended up playing last season. Nothing ever appears to go pear shaped in Lawrence, but should KU be found guilty of misdeeds KState will likely pay the price in Manhattan, the Little Apple.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Diamond Stone is mentioned in the probe. We all knew this 3 years ago.
Sure, but that was the FBI's 1st investigation of Maryland and the 1st subpoena announced back in February. This is round 2, a second FBI subpoena focused on Maryland's recruiting of Silvio De Sous. ;)

"The second subpoena involves Silvio De Sousa, a talented forward whom the Terps recruited out of IMG Academy in Florida two years ago. De Sousa, a childhood friend in Angola of current Maryland center Bruno Fernando’s, committed (to Kansas) in August, after many recruiting analysts predicted he would follow Fernando to Maryland."

Reaction Score
Could be a la Kansas hiring Danny Manning's father, but Maryland's not KU. On the other hand, it's the same KU one-time Maryland recruit Silvio De Sousa ended up playing last season. Nothing ever appears to go pear shaped in Manhattan, the Little Apple.
Well Danny Manning was what? 25 years ago. Different world.

Reaction Score
Well Danny Manning was what? 25 years ago. Different world.
Yup, just one of the most widely known examples of a recruit's father being hired. Same game, just different payers, modes of payment, and larger # of bucks received by recruits, families & friends.

Reaction Score
Ha... Jeff Long negotiated similar language to Danny Hurley's in his AD contract. Sign of the times.

Reaction Score
People continue to believe that the FBI intervened to enforce the rules of the NCAA when in fact they intend to incriminate them. I don't know who's covered their bases and who hasn't, but we're about to find out.

As I've repeated ad nauseum, Herbst is walking herself into a grenade on the Ollie buyout. I do not think she means any harm but she is risking a whole lot of trouble with people a lot more powerful than the NCAA.

It's easy to get caught up in the maze of agents, sneaker people, and AAU coaches, but everything still traces back to the NCAA and the institutions. They're making money illegally and have been for a long time. The most you can do is plead ignorance to the crimes and hope they buy your story. Otherwise, good luck finding a job again.

Reaction Score
Ha... Jeff Long negotiated similar language to Danny Hurley's in his AD contract. Sign of the times.
Wow, Long's contract extends beyond any federal, state, NCAA or Conference investigation leading to restrictions or probation for (KU's) hoop program and extends to football and even women's basketball and women's volleyball. Women's volleyball? That's some proactive CYA, but no scholarships for women's golf, softball, cross country, crew, etc.?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Could be a la Kansas hiring Danny Manning's father, but Maryland's not KU. On the other hand, it's the same KU one-time Maryland recruit Silvio De Sousa ended up playing last season. Nothing ever appears to go pear shaped in Manhattan, the Little Apple.

Kansas is in Lawrence. Kansas State is in Manhattan.

Reaction Score
Kansas is in Lawrence. Kansas State is in Manhattan.
C'mon, play along with things going pear shaped in Little Manhattan. You know KState will be held responsible for any KU misdeeds! After visiting both cities/towns a few times each, I should know the differences. Lawrence is nice, Manhattan not so much. My bad, thanks!

Reaction Score
To the guy that once said, "Paesano thinks that everyone that beats UConn for a recruit is cheating", LOL!!!

For the record, I never implied it was everyone. It was just certain coaches/programs and Maryland was one of them. The Diamond Stone case was obvious to anyone that didn't have their head buried in the sand. The clincher was that he spurned his home school.

Reaction Score
It couldn't happen to nicer guy.

According to internal documents kept by Miller's agency, ASM — published earlier this year by Yahoo — former Maryland player Diamond Stone was paid $14,303 in an apparent effort to steer him to sign with ASM when he left college.

It has occurred to me, missing on Stone started Ollie's downfall. If we had landed Stone we certainly would have performed better post NC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom