OT - Marcus Smart returns for sophomore year, file that under the "WTF" category | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Marcus Smart returns for sophomore year, file that under the "WTF" category

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, ask TJ Ford

I'll give you points for the delivery. The way you said "Yeah, ask TJ Ford" like that was really pithy and put me in my place.

Other than that, though, your post makes no sense. So your argument is that because another human being on the planet was diagnosed (in high school) with a degenerative spinal condition that ultimately contributed to his premature retirement from basketball, Marcus Smart is making a mistake by coming back for a second year of college? Brilliant stuff, professor.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I missed one "e" with an "o", disastarous. Most people with a strong knowledge of sports would understand the association. Go look at the effects of their individual decisions to go to or stay too long in college.
you also used an "r" and "k" instead of a couple "t"s

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Umm...Andrew Luck stayed at Stanford when everyone thought he should leave early. What happened to him? Oh yeah. 1st pick overall, drafted by the team who also drafted a his predecessor, whom scouts also thought should have left early and was the 1st overall pick.

The young man has his reasons (self realization of his own maturity, perhaps?). Kudos that not all decisions appear to be motivated solely by money.

Reaction Score
More stories of it not working out or enhancing their position. His choice, wish him good luck.

Umm...Andrew Luck stayed at Stanford when everyone thought he should leave early. What happened to him? Oh yeah. 1st pick overall, drafted by the team who also drafted a his predecessor, whom scouts also thought should have left early and was the 1st overall pick.

The young man has his reasons (self realization of his own maturity, perhaps?). Kudos that not all decisions appear to be motivated solely by money.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Mark Barkley, Felipo Lopez and Jared Sullinger are his advisors

Very impressive, managing to get 2 out of those 3 names wrong. Surprised you didn't mention Othello Harrington.

Reaction Score

A generational QB talent doesn't work quite the same as you average PG prospect.

Reaction Score
Perhaps he wants to be a college kid for another year.

Good.
Agreed. I'm sure 90% or more of us would agree college was the best time of our lives, why should these kids be any different? I've seen tweets from CV and many other NBA guys stating how much they miss college. He doesn't play for UConn but I'm proud of this kid for following his heart and what will make him happiest.

Husky25

Reaction Score
A generational QB talent doesn't work quite the same as you average PG prospect.

Why is my anecdotal example any less valid than the ones posted by others? If anything it should garner more consideration. Juniors and Seniors are generally better equiped to make the jump than Freshmen and Sophomores.

Reaction Score

He's not an average point guard prospect. He'll be a top 5 pick whatever year he comes out. He's projected as a perennial all-star type player.

Reaction Score
Still mind-boggling that college hoop fans always want any player showing a whiff of NBA potential to come out. Why?

If he has flaws in his game that will be exposed in college they will certainly be exposed at workouts and derail his NBA career. Or he can go back to college and get better and ready for the next level. Staying in school has actually worked out plenty of times, people act like its a death sentence.

For guards, particularly PG's, 2yrs+ of college is often necessary and better for success:
Damian Lilliard - ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - 4yrs of college
Steve Nash - 4yrs
Andre Miller - 4yrs
Jameer Nelson - 4yrs
Greivis Vasquez - 4yrs (I wouldn't have put him on this list, but he'll finish 2nd in league in assists)

Kemba Walker - 3yrs
Stephen Curry - 3yrs
Deron Williams - 3yrs
Ty Lawson - 3yrs

Chris Paul - 2yrs
Rajon Rondo - 2yrs
Russell Westbrook - 2yrs
Jason Kidd - 2yrs

Jrue Holiday - 1yr, drafted 17th though
Mike Conley - 1yr, drafted 4th but for first 3yrs was below average NBA PG
Derrick Rose, John Wall, Kryrie Irving - 1yr, all #1 overall picks (obviously you come out when you are #1, neither Wall or Irving has won in NBA yet but I think Irving will be a winner and Wall is finally showing signs of helping his team in his 3rd year).

Conclusion: PG's need more seasoning.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Still mind-boggling that college hoop fans always want any player showing a whiff of NBA potential to come out. Why?

If he has flaws in his game that will be exposed in college they will certainly be exposed at workouts and derail his NBA career. Or he can go back to college and get better and ready for the next level. Staying in school has actually worked out plenty of times, people act like its a death sentence.

For guards, particularly PG's, 2yrs+ of college is often necessary and better for success:
Steve Nash - 4yrs
Andre Miller - 4yrs
Jameer Nelson - 4yrs
Greivis Vasquez - 4yrs (I wouldn't have put him on this list, but he'll finish 2nd in league in assists)

Kemba Walker - 3yrs
Stephen Curry - 3yrs
Deron Williams - 3yrs
Ty Lawson - 3yrs

Chris Paul - 2yrs
Rajon Rondo - 2yrs
Russell Westbrook - 2yrs
Jason Kidd - 2yrs

Derrick Rose, John Wall, Kryrie Irving - 1yr, all #1 overall picks (obviously you come out when you are #1, neither Wall or Irving has won in NBA yet but I think Irving will be a winner and Wall is finally showing signs of helping his team in his 3rd year).

All of these players are anecdotal. Smart should be more mindful of his family. Afterall, they'll never be blamed for chase the easy money and finishing college later. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Seems to be the other way around imo, college fans usually want players(especially those on their teams) to stick around as long as they can to serve their own self interests.

Steve Nash - 4yrs
Andre Miller - 4yrs
Jameer Nelson - 4yrs

Kemba Walker - 3yrs
Stephen Curry - 3yrs
Deron Williams - 3yrs
Ty Lawson - 3yrs

Chris Paul - 2yrs
Rajon Rondo - 2yrs
Russell Westbrook - 2yrs
Jason Kidd - 2yrs

Reaction Score
Seems to be the other way around imo, college fans usually want players(especially those on their teams) to stick around as long as they can to serve their own self interests.
What's the difference between that and NBA fans wanting them in the NBA ? I want the level of play in both to be better.

Reaction Score
What's the difference between that and NBA fans wanting them in the NBA ? I want the level of play in both to be better.

There is no difference as far as what interests they serve, my point is that college fans aren't the ones pushing guys out the door. There is no bigger cbb fan/ambassador than Dickie V and he's always on camera begging and pleading for guys to stay in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom