OT - Maple Giant Grinder To Close In Hartford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Maple Giant Grinder To Close In Hartford

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As a teenager, I would travel from West Hartford no further than Uncle Sam's Giant Grinder on Park Street to pick up dinner for my family. They would each get a half grinder and marvel at how I'd eat half a meatball/sausage parm combo and half a tuna, not knowing I'd eaten half a pepperoni or Genoa salami while driving back to Bishops Corner.

The only grinders I've had in the past 20 years (sharing a party-size sub doesn't count) were from 2 visits to Wethersfield Pizza for chicken parm, based on recommendations here. Thumbs up, and one half suits me fine.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Aside from who has the most delicious grinder, this is another long time iconic business now moving out of Hartford's south end. The decline of that part of town continues with the violent crimes up and the cornerstone businesses leaving town. Sad.
What kind of guy ends a social media post with, "Sad."?
Is he telling me how he feels or trying to tell people how they should feel?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That's how I feel. You can feel however you'd like.
Thanks for clarifying.

In addition to poking fun at someone else who does that, I really was curious as to which meaning it was.

I apologize for making light of your feeling. I can see it as a loss, though perhaps the owner saying that it's expensive to do business in Hartford holds more significance than the city's safety profile.

Reaction Score
Thanks for clarifying.

In addition to poking fun at someone else who does that, I really was curious as to which meaning it was.

I apologize for making light of your feeling. I can see it as a loss, though perhaps the owner saying that it's expensive to do business in Hartford holds more significance than the city's safety profile.

I read that statement and I'm not sure how much I believe it. How much rent could they be paying in Hartford at that location? Rocky Hill is going to be cheaper to the point where it makes sense to pick up and move a long time business? I absolutely thought it was a safety issue that they just didn't want to admit to in the press.

Reaction Score
I read that statement and I'm not sure how much I believe it. How much rent could they be paying in Hartford at that location? Rocky Hill is going to be cheaper to the point where it makes sense to pick up and move a long time business? I absolutely thought it was a safety issue that they just didn't want to admit to in the press.
I agree with you. It's not expensive to do business in Hartford at that location. There is another reason they are moving.

Reaction Score
TRUE STORY In 2010 when getting ready to leave CT. knowing I might not be returning, ( my mom had passed away which is why I was in CT, we now live in Florida). I bought 20 grinders (10 meatball, 10 chicken parm), brought them back to my moms house froze them, wrapped them in tin foil, put them in to carry on bags and got detained by airport security, upon being asked what was in the bag, I responded " have you ever heard of Franklin Giant grinders?" And the response was " who hasn't". I tol them 10 meatball and 10 chicken cutlet, they made me unzip the bag with 2 fingers, and to keep my other hand in the air ( they were pretty serious, on the x-ray machine the subs, looked like pipe bombs). I was able to peel back the tin foil enough to expose the letters MB ( meatball) which was enough for them to put away their guns,( seriously). The food sucks soooooo bad in Florida these are the extreme measures one must take to take advantage of an occasional visit back home.

Reaction Score
TRUE STORY In 2010 when getting ready to leave CT. knowing I might not be returning, ( my mom had passed away which is why I was in CT, we now live in Florida). I bought 20 grinders (10 meatball, 10 chicken parm), brought them back to my moms house froze them, wrapped them in tin foil, put them in to carry on bags and got detained by airport security, upon being asked what was in the bag, I responded " have you ever heard of Franklin Giant grinders?" And the response was " who hasn't". I tol them 10 meatball and 10 chicken cutlet, they made me unzip the bag with 2 fingers, and to keep my other hand in the air ( they were pretty serious, on the x-ray machine the subs, looked like pipe bombs). I was able to peel back the tin foil enough to expose the letters MB ( meatball) which was enough for them to put away their guns,( seriously). The food sucks soooooo bad in Florida these are the extreme measures one must take to take advantage of an occasional visit back home.
That's hilarious but are thawed out grinders any good.

Reaction Score
Went to college in Florida in the late 60's and I agree: the food sucks. Forget about trying to get a pizza that didn't taste like cardboard. Their idea of a good grinder is Subway. The best Italian food I had in Florida was cooked by our first baseman who was an Italian kid from Newark.

Reaction Score
Went to college in Florida in the late 60's and I agree: the food sucks. Forget about trying to get a pizza that didn't taste like cardboard. Their idea of a good grinder is Subway. The best Italian food I had in Florida was cooked by our first baseman who was an Italian kid from Newark.
Good luck getting anyone in the south to know what a grinder is. We ordered one here and we were delivered a box of ground meat with cheese on it.

Reaction Score
Good luck getting anyone in the south to know what a grinder is. We ordered one here and we were delivered a box of ground meat with cheese on it.
Could have been worse. They could have gone to Home Depot and delivered this:

a7229be4-3dbb-44d9-94ad-231d54b3db28_400_compressed.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom