OT - Maple Giant Grinder To Close In Hartford | The Boneyard

OT - Maple Giant Grinder To Close In Hartford

Reaction Score
An institution... Fond memories & many lbs.

>>Owner Rick Lavoie says he plans to move the restaurant out of Hartford and that he's looking at spaces in suburban areas, including Berlin and Rocky Hill. "In order to stay in business, we have to move," he said. "It's very expensive to do business in Hartford."<<

Reaction Score

>>Owner Rick Lavoie says he plans to move the restaurant out of Hartford and that he's looking at spaces in suburban areas, including Berlin and Rocky Hill. "In order to stay in business, we have to move," he said. "It's very expensive to do business in Hartford."<<

Is Franklin Giant Grinder still there? That used to be my spot.

Reaction Score

that thing looks enormous, but is it good?

Reaction Score
that thing looks enormous, but is it good?

Yup... I was always partial to Maple Giant Grinder over Franklin Giant Grinder (still in business) but both were good. Maple had beef cutlets which were tough to find outside old skool Italian places but I always leaned towards their pepper and eggs w/ provolone.

Reaction Score
Yup... I was always partial to Maple Giant Grinder over Franklin Giant Grinder (still in business) but both were good. Maple had beef cutlets which were tough to find outside old skool Italian places but I always leaned towards their pepper and eggs w/ provolone.
The beef cutlet grinders were my all time favorite.

Reaction Score
Maple Giant was always my go to spot. Franklin Giant is awesome also. Since we have relatives in Cromwell that we visit a lot I'm excited they're looking to move to the Rocky Hill/Berlin area. I think I just gained 5 pounds thinking about going there more!

Reaction Score
As long as "Hartford Giant Grinder" in Niantic doesn't close, I'll be happy! Love them, near the family summer home... And yes, they are related to the Hartford family business. Yum!

Reaction Score
Anyone tried The Corner Grinder Shop? A buddy tells me it is much better than Franklin. Sounds like Franklin is dirty and run down now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When the Franklin family decided to branch out and opened up Poquonock Giant Grinder in Windsor, it was an instant hit. Line out the door every day at lunchtime..and the grinders were soo good. The meatball was taste bud overload! :p

Reaction Score
Anyone tried The Corner Grider Shop? A buddy tells me it is much better than Franklin. Sounds like Franklin is dirty and run down now.

I stopped in once over the winter to get a chicken parm on a friend's recommendation. Solid grinder overall but my favorite chicken park is still Wethersfield Pizzas.

Also, if this going to turn into a best grinder thread, we already have one of those. :D

Reaction Score
Aside from who has the most delicious grinder, this is another long time iconic business now moving out of Hartford's south end. The decline of that part of town continues with the violent crimes up and the cornerstone businesses leaving town. Sad.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever go to the Italian Festa when 100,000 people showed up in the south end of Hartford. Wow what a site. When someone asked where is Giant Grinder all you had to do is point and good luck because you couldn't get near the place.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes it is good and they had pretty good meals to go. The owner is the only Italian Red Sox fan from the South End I've ever known.
A reason not to go. :).

Reaction Score
Anyone tried The Corner Grinder Shop? A buddy tells me it is much better than Franklin. Sounds like Franklin is dirty and run down now.
Always preferred Corner Grinder. Their homemade soups were great, and their sausage/spinach pizza was the best.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Anyone ever go to the Italian Festa when 100,000 people showed up in the south end of Hartford. Wow what a site. When someone asked where is Giant Grinder all you had to do is point and good luck because you couldn't get near the place.
Was there a few times great festival.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. I've been told its part of the charm but it isn't charming at all.
I think it is part of the experience. You should have tried Manny's Famous Delicatessen on Blue Hills Ave in the North End for a real show. Manny was a great guy and offending everyone was part of the charm.

Reaction Score
I love Franklin Ave Giant Grinder, but the ladies behind the counter are downright terrifying

I always thought that too, until I ordered four whole grinders for a tailgate ($84.00). I thought the ladies were going to carry me out of the place on their shoulders!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom