OT: Making breakfast on a grill | The Boneyard

OT: Making breakfast on a grill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What do you recommend? I don't really have a griddle for my grill but I would love to do something like eggs. Someone recommended making the eggs ahead of time, then throwing them (and some sausages) into a wrap in tin foil and heating up some breakfast burritos?

Any other ideas for breakfast you can cook on a grill? I figured I could, in theory, use a pan on top of the grill, but that seems like a good way to ruin a pan and/or take 45 minutes to cook eggs.

Reaction Score
Get yourself some disposable aluminum tins that fit on your grill. I've used them to cook eggs, bacon, hash browns, etc. and they work great. Make sure they fit to the point where you can close the grill cover or at lest cover them with foil, otherwise things take forever to cook. Best part is when you're done you just toss them. I've found that Job Lot is the cheapest place to get them.

Reaction Score
What do you recommend? I don't really have a griddle for my grill but I would love to do something like eggs. Someone recommended making the eggs ahead of time, then throwing them (and some sausages) into a wrap in tin foil and heating up some breakfast burritos?

Any other ideas for breakfast you can cook on a grill? I figured I could, in theory, use a pan on top of the grill, but that seems like a good way to ruin a pan and/or take 45 minutes to cook eggs.

If you have a Coleman (like a Road Trip) grill, they usually make griddle pan inserts that you can buy for like $20 and swap them in to cook flat stuff on the grill. The problem is that they have vents on the side and if your grill isn't hot enough when you first put the eggs down, they'll run into the catch below.

I don't think you'd ruin a saute pan but your estimate on the time required to cook eggs that way is probably accurate (or low).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

If you're going to make eggs ahead of time, you might as well stop at Dunkin' Donuts. Tailgating is more than just having a few cocktails in the open air.

I'm not sure how you would ruin a frying pan by using it on the grill top and also it takes about the same amount of time as when you fry an egg on your range at home. You can absolutely use a frying pan, you can also use a metal cake pan. Also griddle pans cost about $10 at Stop & Shop. Use it like you would in your kitchen range.

Reaction Score
If you have a Coleman (like a Road Trip) grill, they usually make griddle pan inserts that you can buy for like $20 and swap them in to cook flat stuff on the grill. The problem is that they have vents on the side and if your grill isn't hot enough when you first put the eggs down, they'll run into the catch below.

I don't think you'd ruin a saute pan but your estimate on the time required to cook eggs that way is probably accurate (or low).

Yeah I had an old one which has a griddle but I found that the amount of eggs I'd lose in the vents was pretty insane and made the whole thing a huge mess.

Reaction Score
As long as you are buying a griddle....my friends and I came up with the strangest, most delicious, tailgating breakfast of all time back in the day. Steak Pancakes.

Buy This
+
Grill someting like these on a pan/griddle (think the thickness needed for a philly cheese steak sandwich)
+
Cube/dice the cooked steak, mix the pieces in with the batter and cook pancakes on the pan/griddle.

Add butter and/or syrup to taste. Sounds absolutely bananas. Tastes like the American Dream.

Reaction Score

lMAO. Been there, done that, and watched my beaten eggs pour right off the sides the first time I tried it. If I'm cooking eggs on the Coleman grill, I use a frying pan.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Can't go wrong with a cast iron pan. Heavy, but cheap and indestructible.

Reaction Score
lMAO. Been there, done that, and watched my beaten eggs pour right off the sides the first time I tried it. If I'm cooking eggs on the Coleman grill, I use a frying pan.

They make a tabletop stove that's only about $30-35 and it's perfect for using a saute pan. http://www.coleman.com/Products/2010/propane-stoves

Come to think of it, tailgating is so inexpensive, and so much fun, I don't know why I don't do it at home every weekend - or at least for road games. Just back the car into the driveway, pull the grill out of the basement, and presto.

Reaction Score
Under 4$ @ D&D ;)
1439797627427.jpg

Reaction Score
They make a tabletop stove that's only about $30-35 and it's perfect for using a saute pan. http://www.coleman.com/Products/2010/propane-stoves

Come to think of it, tailgating is so inexpensive, and so much fun, I don't know why I don't do it at home every weekend - or at least for road games. Just back the car into the driveway, pull the grill out of the basement, and presto.

LMAO. My wife doesn't understand why, if she wants me to make her one nice, full meal a year, she has to come to a tailgate (and then leave when we pack up for kickoff).

Husky25

Reaction Score
+1 on cast iron skillet or griddle.

It can withstand the heat of the propane, is thick enough to spread out hot spots and will last a lifetime.

I grew up cooking on a range with a cast iron pan. I think my mother's is older than her. When I got out on my own, I started using stainless steel and Teflon coated pans. When I got married, my wife used to get supper pi$$ed at me for ruining our "high quality" wedding gifts. I bought a 10" cast iron pan for myself to use in the kitchen last fall and unless I need another pan in addition to my cast iron (rare), I haven't used anything else since.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If you are going to a store tonight you may need to check out the outdoors/camping section.

Be judicious with the wallet. It is easy to get caught up in buying the Lodge brand products for tailgatimg- Dutch ovens, skillets, griddles, grill cheese presses, corn on the cob holders, etc.
That link was for the OP. Our tailgate equipment is pretty well pimped out.

Reaction Score
I agree you're best off with a pan. Doesn't have to cost much and make sure the handle(s) are very small. I might consider cheating by cooking the meat ahead as I prefer thin sliced sirloin tips in a reduction. Don't want to wait 2 hours for breakfast. I'd season and grill them at home night before adding a liquid combination of beef broth, sherry onions peppers afterwards in a pan for 10-15 mins. Let it cool and fridge overnight. Game day reheat in an aluminum tray for 30 minutes until reduced. Cook the eggs, add toasted rolls, provolone cheese slap it together and open some cold ones. If you decide to make this let me know where you'll be cuz I'm working today and tonight. It's terrible!

Husky25

Reaction Score
I agree you're best off with a pan. Doesn't have to cost much and make sure the handle(s) are very small. I might consider cheating by cooking the meat ahead as I prefer thin sliced sirloin tips in a reduction. Don't want to wait 2 hours for breakfast. I'd season and grill them at home night before adding a liquid combination of beef broth, sherry onions peppers afterwards in a pan for 10-15 mins. Let it cool and fridge overnight. Game day reheat in an aluminum tray for 30 minutes until reduced. Cook the eggs, add toasted rolls, provolone cheese slap it together and open some cold ones. It's terrible!
Marinate or dry rub? Absolutely prep the night before, but thin sliced steaks should be on the grill a maximum of 4 min/side. No reason it can't be done in the morning.

Reaction Score
I make a breakfast pizza. Takes a bit of prep the night before but its easier than trying to make bacon egg and cheeses for everyone.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
As an aside - one of the best things I used the cast iron pan for at the Rent was to re-fry a batch of Bidwell wings. They came out great.

Reaction Score
LMAO. My wife doesn't understand why, if she wants me to make her one nice, full meal a year, she has to come to a tailgate (and then leave when we pack up for kickoff).

Something about tailgates makes food taste better, and makes people act differently. One time I brought my in-laws to a tailgate when we played the wife's alma mater. When one of the eggs fell onto the grass and cracked but did not break, my mother-in-law -- who could have been an extra on the Stepford Wives -- picked it up and said, "do you think you can save it? Just add it to mine. It'll be fine."

This is a woman who bleaches countertops after cooking with chicken or eggs (not really, but close) and throws out milk days before its expiration date. Yet she ate an egg sandwich cooked in bacon grease (some of it could have been weeks old) while drinking half-screwdriver, half-Mimosas out of a Solo Cup, and loved it.

The quintessential American dining experience isn't Thanksgiving and it isn't Easter. It's in a parking lot on a brisk fall morning, preferably in bucolic East Hartford, Connecticut.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One of the things we did was cook eggs in a tuna can with the top and bottom removed. Heat up sausage patties and english muffins and you can get 3 or 4 done at once. Some one usually brought donuts or muffins to eat while waiting for the eggs. Later on, another guy chipped in egg rings from Williams-Sonoma but I didn't think they improved on the tuna can.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Get a disposable cookie sheet from your local grocery store (two if you want to cook the eggs and meat individually). Cook away and then throw them out when you are finished.

Reaction Score
I might go with the disposable aluminum. I was reading about cast iron skillets and all this keeping it seasoned stuff sounds like a lot of work for someone who has a hard time staying on top of their laundry, never mind re-seasoning a skillet after use.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I might go with the disposable aluminum. I was reading about cast iron skillets and all this keeping it seasoned stuff sounds like a lot of work for someone who has a hard time staying on top of their laundry, never mind re-seasoning a skillet after use.

They sell pre-seasoned cast iron on Amazon. Go for the 12". Bigger is not better in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom