ot: Lyme Disease Vaccine | The Boneyard

ot: Lyme Disease Vaccine

Reaction Score
Great that a French company created this vaccine, although one has to wonder why a US company (...especially a CT based one) was not the first to do so.

The vaccine, which is reportedly up to 96% effective, might soon be available in the UK and US at a “reasonably low” price.

We'll have to wait and see what that "reasonably low" price will become.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Great that a French company created this vaccine, although one has to wonder why a US company (...especially a CT based one) was not the first to do so.

Actually, SmithKline developed a vaccine in the 90's. It was only available for a year or two, then they pulled it due to lack of profitability. A lot of insurance companies didn't cover it, and vaccine-fear-mania finally did it in because not enough people were getting it. By the time I knew about it, it was too late. I run in the woods and have found a few deer ticks on myself. Fortunately I react strongly to the bites, so I find the ticks before the bacterium can spread to me.

I'll be in line early this time.

Reaction Score
I hope that 96% rate is for real.............the current canine vaccine is only 50% - 60% effective as far as I know........

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I was one of the subjects in the SmithKline study, later finding out that I got the actual vaccine rather than the control. I've also contracted Lyme disease three times, a consequence of orienteering and wilderness travel. The first time was in 1984 from a tick in East Lyme. I actually lived in Ithaca, NY at the time and I needed to "suggest" to the doctor what was happening and the treatment.

IF you can identify the infection early and IF you have a good immune system Lyme disease is not a problem. The longer it takes to identify it, or the more problems one has with their immune system, the worse the consequences of Lyme disease. Incidentally, spirochetes such as the bacterium associated with Lyme disease have a high coincidence with dementia, up to 90%. Most of the time the spirochete is the one associated with gum disease (take great care of your gums), but can be the one associated with Lyme as well. It's not obvious to me whether spirochetes compromise the immune system, which in turn creates an easier path towards dementia, or whether the compromised immune system associated with dementia prevents it from dealing with spirochetes. Does anyone else know?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Incidentally, spirochetes such as the bacterium associated with Lyme disease have a high coincidence with dementia, up to 90%. Most of the time the spirochete is the one associated with gum disease (take great care of your gums), but can be the one associated with Lyme as well.

I've known two people whose Lyme was not caught in time who wound up having cognitive symptoms. Not remembering conversations, forgetting how to get to work, etc. The one never got over it, even after 30 days with antibiotic going in through a heart catheter.

Reaction Score
In 1996 I was in a study group for Pasteur Merieux Connaught USA and it turned out that I had received the actual vaccine. My impression is that they never actually marketed it to the public but did provide it to veterinarians for use with dogs. Last year I did get Lyme disease and the cure was worse than the disease.....4 weeks of doxycycline. I was nauseous the entire time and ended up losing 6 lbs

Reaction Score
While on the subject of vaccines thought I would mention that the CDC now recommends that most of us (adults over 50) should consider the new shingles vaccine Shingrix which is more effective than the older vaccine Zostavax. Shingrix is more than 90% effective at preventing shingles and you can get Shingrix even if you had the other vaccine.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hope this is a real cure for this disease. How wonderful would it be for this vaccine to be made available worldwide at a nominal cost, allowing everyone afflicted with this malady to be completely cured. Keep hope alive. :rolleyes:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Since Lyme disease is prevalent in Connecticut, I want to share this link.

Lyme Disease vaccine set to become available soon, as first trials successfully passed
Thanks for the info. Spent most of my adult life in Ct and now in Maine. Was and still am very concerned about ticks on the various golf courses. Also spend a lot of time outside when at home. Maine has the #1 incident rate per capita, of Lyme. It would be great to be able to be vaccinated against Lyme. Would still be vigilant concerning ticks, but it would be reassuring to know the chances would be greatly reduced, to contract the disease.

Reaction Score
FWIW, i lived in the south for sometime. Where certain pesticides had been used which I will not name. Finally, after years of complaints, lawsuits, and more, the government ponied up with huge settlements to those affected. The same should be done for Lyme disease. Our own government is clearly at fault, and have caused this problem. Many people have suffered. Some have died I understand. It’s a serious matter.

Reaction Score
I had Lyme and never saw a tick. Growing up in Central CT, at least one person in each household in our neighborhood had it. I was in college. It was mistaken for mono several times.... Then they thought I had a relapse and that was actually Bartonella (cat scratch fever..... no idea how that happened)...... For me, with chronic sinusitis and sinus infections and bronchitis, Lyme wasn't bad and cleared up through antibiotics faster than most sinus issues...... However, for others I know it's been devastating.... I had it like 17 years ago I think..... was a new person after 2 weeks of antibiotics....... a vaccine that is reliable would be wonderful though. I remember working at a girl scout camp in alamaba in 2002 and they had a full day training on lyme disease and ticks though I never saw a deer tick (but a bajillion big ticks) there...... when I raised my hand and said "I've had it, it wasn't that bad....." all the southerners moved away from me like I was a plagued yankee..... which I guess I was.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom