OT - Lost, Crying In Rentschler Field Parking Lot | The Boneyard

OT - Lost, Crying In Rentschler Field Parking Lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
http://touch.courant.com/#section/2225/article/p2p-81668902/

Got this on my FB - the comments are CLASSIC!!

'Dont ever go to Disney World...'
'Did you start driving last week? Is your next column how they ran out of paper towels - grow a set.'
'I think the parent is the cry baby here...'
'Do you need your hand held...'
'Guess you will never go camping...'
'You didnt look at the lettered posts...'
'There is an app...'

Reaction Score
You beat me to the punch was just about to post this, wow dude sorry your 5 year old son cried blame the field why don't ya. If it was a football game that's a different story, I feel I will be close to tears later this season too.

Reaction Score
I posted this elsewhere; but, while parking at the Rent is expansive and a pain in the arse, the reporter shares most of this blame. A parent should know beforehand if his/her child can handle going to a major sporting event and all of the fun and hassle it entails. I have been bringing my oldest son to game since he was 5 and started with less stressful high school games. He is now 7 and I took him to his first Yankees baseball game this year. I know what he can and cannot handle. I also do not bring him to night games yet at Yankee or the Rent because I am uncomfortable with it. It's called being a parent.

Reaction Score
When my youngest daughter my 4 we started taking her to UConn basketball games. She would sit on my shoulders and lead a UConn chant. I will never forget her doing that at the Meadowlands. It's a great memory. She played hs, Aau, was recruited a bit and ended up at UConn. It's been a fun ride.

Reaction Score
The worst part is that Courant put this front page on their website. Its an op-ed. Who cares about one guys whiny opinion? They should be trying to turn fans on to uconn football (impossible this season, i'm aware) not just giving them another excuse to avoid the Rent.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
TL;DR Guy forgets where he parks, his kid cries, and then guy blames the world

I was at the game and I will say that I missed my blue lot parking pass but at the end of the game I walked directly to my car - it happened to be right where I parked it when I came in.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Maybe the comments are on point, but maybe the guy writing the column has a point too. As was stated earlier on this board (sorry I don't remember by whom), this makes an impression on first-timers who likely will not become future UConn Football fans because of LAZ parking. Which sucks for UConn and is a fixable problem from the state's end, or at least it should be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It can be tough for someone unfamiliar with the Rent to find their car. That said, the column is idiotic.

arch

Reaction Score
The worst part is that Courant put this front page on their website. Its an op-ed. Who cares about one guys whiny opinion? They should be trying to turn fans on to uconn football (impossible this season, i'm aware) not just giving them another excuse to avoid the Rent.
A darn good reason.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I tend to agree more with the folks blaming the guy for not being able to find his car, but that said, that doesn't mean there aren't opportunities for improvement. Signage can be improved. Attendants can be more helpful. Traffic studies can be conducted. Eliminate the pain points.

arch

Reaction Score
It can be tough for someone unfamiliar with the Rent to find their car. That said, the column is idiotic.
Why the heck would a marginal fan want to put themselves thru this?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I didn't read the article, but I will be the contrarian on this one.

I'm a veteran of The Rent, but my friend and I had a tough time finding our car at the end of the game too. They sent us to a lot that I was unfamiliar with, and in the dark, it all looks the same. There were dozens of people along with us, clicking our "horn buttons" on our keychains trying to find our respective cars.

What The Rent should do: Place markers in the various areas of the fields. I don't care if they are letters, numbers, colors, whatever. But do it. It makes finding a car infinitely easier.

Why The Rent should do it: Because we paid $20 for parking for the soccer game, and $15 for each football game. This isn't for free. It's not like going to the Haddam Neck Fair or something.

Okay, now everyone can unleash on me and call me a dummy for not being able to find my car faster than that, or not being a grown man and sucking it up....

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I didn't read the article, but I will be the contrarian on this one.

I'm a veteran of The Rent, but my friend and I had a tough time finding our car at the end of the game too. They sent us to a lot that I was unfamiliar with, and in the dark, it all looks the same. There were dozens of people along with us, clicking our "horn buttons" on our keychains trying to find our respective cars.

What The Rent should do: Place markers in the various areas of the fields. I don't care if they are letters, numbers, colors, whatever. But do it. It makes finding a car infinitely easier.

Why The Rent should do it: Because we paid $20 for parking for the soccer game, and $15 for each football game. This isn't for free. It's not like going to the Haddam Neck Fair or something.

Okay, now everyone can unleash on me and call me a dummy for not being able to find my car faster than that, or not being a grown man and sucking it up....

Valet parking is the answer...

Serious side - the parking company is atrocious - they have a bunch of teenagers standing around basically doing nothing except being in the way.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I feel like I'm doing a 180 (not really, still hard to believe he couldn't find his car) but the lot naming schemes need to be better.

"Which lot are you in?"
"Gray Lot"
"Oh me too! Which gray lot?"
"Ummm... The good gray lot?"
"What are you near?"
"The stadium."
"Did you drive down a gravel road or paved road?"
"You are across the street and a fence divides us, I'll just see you inside."

Reaction Score
There have been numerous complaints here on the BY over the parking situation. Most of them are valid concerns.

I know a lot of posters have been accused of being whiners (me included) but this guy takes it to another level.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I feel like I'm doing a 180 (not really, still hard to believe he couldn't find his car) but the lot naming schemes need to be better.

"Which lot are you in?"
"Gray Lot"
"Oh me too! Which gray lot?"
"Ummm... The good gray lot?"
"What are you near?"
"The stadium."
"Did you drive down a gravel road or paved road?"
"You are across the street and a fence divides us, I'll just see you inside."

"Are you to the left or the right of Cabelas?"
"I'm about 100 yards to the right."
"Near the rope with the metal cans?"
"Almost. Closer to the second row of mobile spotlights."