OT: Looking for a tablet that is not an iPad | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Looking for a tablet that is not an iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In October 2008, long before the iPad made its debut, then Apple CEO Steve Jobs said this:
We don’t know how to make a $500 computer that’s not a piece of junk,​

Many other do know how.............and have done it.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
After reading Harry's unsubstantiated responses and repeated uninformed jabs, I need some high powered tablets – extra-strength ibuprofen tablets.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Apple wars. Fine product but I'm locked into the Microsoft universe due to software. It's all commodity. Microsoft is threatening a Surface 7.5" and a Surface phone running Intel Atom. Nice thing about Kindles. Cheap and easy to flip.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Apple wars. Fine product but I'm locked into the Microsoft universe due to software. It's all commodity. Microsoft is threatening a Surface 7.5" and a Surface phone running Intel Atom. Nice thing about Kindles. Cheap and easy to flip.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Whenever you mention Apple, weird people are bound to pop out.

I don't have one, but new Kindles look pretty nice - I have a Nexus 7 and aside from from quality control quirks, it's fine, but not being able to play Amazon Prime video is a strike against it.

The larger Kindle has some appeal on that front. Looks pretty good and it's not particularly expensive.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If not an iPad it is the larger Kindle I would have. All three friends having a Nexus have had issues.

Reaction Score
Okay, woah! I didn't mean to start a Windows/Apple war. It was mostly a cost factor...less so a brand factor despite my flippant "kids would never forgive me" comment.

You did nothing but specify what it is you are interested in and then request input regarding those specifics.

Things went awry when the Apple zealots for some reason needed to proselytize about their obsession, even though you clearly had ruled out interest in the products they for some reason needed to tell you about.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Funny, but those using Apple products said essentially nothing until they were insulted by labeling them a cult. Then simply stated some things they found very helpful about Apple products now you label them zealots. Interesting. My path to an iPad began with a Kindle and then a parishioner who was the tech person for our windows based school district bought an iPad. Now folks at coffee in the morning consider me naked if I am not iPad in hand and they are the ones asking me to check things on the net.

I have used windows based products for 20+ years and still use both windows based computers at church, a Dell and a Lenovo and Apple products at home and an HP windows desktop there, as well. There was a time where Apple and postscript dominated the graphics side of computing and windows the "business" calculating side. That time has largely passed. The differences and strengths are now about other things but that is always true.

Hardly cultlike behavior but I know in my experience which have proven more reliable and easier to use. I suspect most Apple users just didn't like the insults.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
We got a Note 10.1 for Christmas, and I love it but wife is using an IPad 2 she got from work. She likes it enough she now wants an IPhone 5 and she will be getting one today as an upgrade from the Droid 3. I am upgrading from my GS3 to the Note 2. I would disown her for wanting to own an Apple product, but we do have Baby Bruin ;0)

Reaction Score
I've got a Nexus 7 and it's wonderful. The Kindle is nice but you're locked out of the Google App Store so to me it's not worth it. The iPad Mini is $329 vs $199 for the Nexus 7 16 GB models and for your $130 extra you don't really get anything better in the iPad, unless you consider iOS superior to Jelly Bean. For me that makes the iPad a definite no-go but it depends on your financial situation. Other than the price the biggest difference is that iPad is wider in portrait mode (more square) but the resolution is noticeably lower than the Nexus 7.

Another nice thing about the Nexus line of products is that they always get the latest Android updates right away vs. something like the Galaxy Tab. I've never used a Nexus 10 but I imagine it's like a huge, high-res Nexus 7, which is a good thing. I like the 7" form factor though, general web browsing is probably better on a 10" but the 7" is very portable and easy to hold in one hand. You might want to go to an electronics store to see how they differ physically. I have to recommend the $199 Nexus 7 16GB.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Perfect reaction to apple’s release, despite the unpopular adultery feature.
Moses' acquiring of the tablets was a direct response to illegal use of an apple product leading to a jail break product and generations of headaches and heartaches.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Moses had some pretty good tablets, I hear.
...My path to an iPad began with a Kindle...
...have used windows based products for 20+ years...
...windows based computers at church...
...Dell and a Lenovo and Apple products at home and an HP windows desktop there...

- Yes, OK, OK, Rev, that’s really good, but please, please… all we really wanted to know is…

---Does OUR spiritual advisor here carry two tablets at all times on our behalf, or does he not?

--- In that regard, metaphysically speaking, did simply partitioning your hard drive REALLY count????
Brother Arty
PS: I’m not going to single out anybody – I’m pretty sure vowelguy could punch my lights out - but you know, some of us sinners here are looking for all the help we can get. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom