OT: Life After Storrs Mir McLean, one of the leaders on the undefeated Virginia squad | The Boneyard

OT: Life After Storrs Mir McLean, one of the leaders on the undefeated Virginia squad

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Virginia is 9-0. Mir McLean is nearly averaging a double double. In her last game, she had 24 points and 13 rebounds. If Huskyland doesn't work out, nice to see players thrive elsewhere.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Virginia is 9-0. Mir McLean is nearly averaging a double double. In her last game, she had 24 points and 13 rebounds. If Huskyland doesn't work out, nice to see players thrive elsewhere.
Who did they play?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Penn St.

Always loved her hustle. Seems Brunelle also getting a second life.
Thanks! Looks like Poffenbarger is playing and getting better although not to the level of McLean. Piath is a mystery. She has played minimal minutes in only two games.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess age has finally got me. I recognise Mir as having been on the team, and her being an undersized leaper in HS, but little else.

Reaction Score
Geno really never gave her an opportunity because I believe she could of done well at uconn. Probably not at the level she's playing at Virginia but if she's doing this in the ACC she definitely could of been a factor in the Big East

Reaction Score
Geno really never gave her an opportunity because I believe she could of done well at uconn. Probably not at the level she's playing at Virginia but if she's doing this in the ACC she definitely could of been a factor in the Big East
You can’t say what kind of a chance Geno gave her. Right? Unless you were there and I assume you weren’t?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mir had a pretty good partial season last year. She looks even better. I wouldn't read too much into Virginia being undefeated, though they did get some votes in the polls. I think the middle of the ACC is their maximum this year. Mir is averaging 12.1 points and 9.5 rebounds. Her shooting is 58/33/57. I think her FT ability will eventually put her closer to 75%. She's averaging just over 3 fouls per game, something she needs to control. She leads the team with 16 steals. I believe she left UConn on very good terms.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks! Looks like Poffenbarger is playing and getting better although not to the level of McLean. Piath is a mystery. She has played minimal minutes in only two games.

I think Saylor was the Freshman of the Week. Her rebounding is good (7.3 rpg) and her shooting is improving, now at 33/30/68. Her shooting was abysmal early in this season, but I think she can get to 40/35/75 or so.

Reaction Score
She is still a walking foul.... she's already fouled out at least once and had 4 fouls multiple times. I'm happy for her but to say Geno didn't give her a chance or that she is UConn material just isn't accurate in my opinion.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I’m happy for Mir. The talent was always inside her, but something never clicked between her and UConn. I’m also happy Sam Brunelle is thriving in her return home.

I’m really impressed how quickly UVA has righted the ship after Tina Thompson’s departure. Her tenure was a dumpster fire that could have smoldered for years. Coach Mox has done a great job.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I believe Mir's biggest problem was the year older, 2 inch taller, similarly skilled Aubrey. Mir provided nothing over what Aubrey brought. It was a good thing to get out from under Aubrey's shadow. I understand she is a high quality lady.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I believe Mir's biggest problem was the year older, 2 inch taller, similarly skilled Aubrey. Mir provided nothing over what Aubrey brought. It was a good thing to get out from under Aubrey's shadow. I understand she is a high quality lady.
I think it was deeper than that and it seemed she was just not picking up the system. Positioning etc. Not sure what kind of system VA uses but it is probably more straight forward (less read react)

Reaction Score
I agree. I felt that she could've competed in the Big East. She reminded me of that undersized (5/11 ) forward/guard on Baylor's team a few years back who went on to become an All American

Reaction Score
We are doing well since she left. You can be really, really good and come to UConn and a player or 2 ahead of you is really, really good too, and a bit better. Plus we all know that UConn is not for everyone. I’ll bet her time here has made her a better player. Good for her!!

Reaction Score
Exactly............would she be playing much on this year's UConn team? Between Griffin and Patterson, Mir would be getting mostly mop up time.........If she were a few inches taller and a better shooter it would be another story because her work ethic was never the issue.....

Reaction Score
She probably would not be playing much here, so move to Virginia has been good for her and UVA. I'm just glad that players like Mir and Saylor had the courage to leave, and go where they could get back to playing the game again. Same for Sadie Edwards, Espinoza-Hunter, and Samarie Walker. For whatever reasons, they probably would not have gotten major minutes at UConn. Can't blame any of them for wanting to be on the court.

Reaction Score
I guess age has finally got me. I recognise Mir as having been on the team, and her being an undersized leaper in HS, but little else.
I believe she was pretty good under the board. Got her share of rebound, but way undersized in the post. Desire and attitude is sometimes better than size. She is doing well at UVA Ole Thomas Jefferson would be proud of his school.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. She was the third string power forward. As HuskyInSC stated Aubrey was bigger, more experienced, and similarly skilled. Her numbers were actually quite good when she did get to play, and I have no doubt minus Aubrey, she would have been a high quality, way above average bench star, but her key to playing time here was injuries, or the ability to have success as a perimeter player.

She might have stayed as a rotation player, but was way too good for third string status here. So far most of the players who have left Uconn have had decent careers at pretty good programs, and Mir could turn out to be the best of that bunch. Off hand, the player I think that was most missed was Natalie Butler. She was a very good backup in the rotation, but wanted to go somewhere that she could be the focus, and it seems to me she is the only one I can think of that was missed quite a bit.

sun

Reaction Score
When Mir missed 2 free throws during their game with Minnesota, the announcer said that she had a thumb injury that could be affecting her shots.
She's an active player that gets right under the basket and fights for rebounds in the thick of the action with a lot of moxie.
UVA is a good fit for her.
She wears #10.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree. I felt that she could've competed in the Big East. She reminded me of that undersized (5/11 ) forward/guard on Baylor's team a few years back who went on to become an All American
Nina Davis.

1669915402731.png

Former All-American Nina Davis named assistant coach for MTSU women's basketball - June 2020.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom