OT: latest ESPN conspiracy theory | The Boneyard

OT: latest ESPN conspiracy theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i was watching a Sportsnation over the weekend and they were running their ACC conference preview special. i scanned the rest of the week and you can probably guess how many conference preview shows they had and you can probably guess which former-BCS conference didn't get a preview show. what a bunch of dbags

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think that ESPN can/will make a competitive offer for us. They aren't even pretending to play nice.

Reaction Score
ESPN certainly isnt going to help us if they know they are going to lose us as an entity. Think about it. They may be OK in the fall but in the winter what's going to happen to ESPN when all those basketball eyes move over to NBC Sports to watch the Big East basketball. and what happens when the games are over and they keep watching their equivalent of sports center. If the eyes move who is going to help ESPN pay out those massive contracts to the other 5 leagues. ESPN isnt going to go out of business but they were getting Big East basketball for a song and though the money is nowhere near Football money those eyeballs will be moving and may just stay on the other channel more than anyone expects. One can hope anyways that NBC will do it right and come up with some programming worth watching. ESPN isnt going to do anything to legitamize the Big East at this point. They have alot to lose if the ACC goes down the tubes and they dont have Big East basketball in the winter.

Reaction Score
In any moment, a certain poster, with association to ESPN at some point in time, is going to start talking about how ESPN collect billions in subscriber fees.........

The thing about that subscriber fee system, is that no matter how big or small it is, it's still a bubble, if it's not on market value with other programming, and that subscriber fee system to rake in more and more money by jacking up costs, that are transferred to cable bill payers.....is that it can burst at any time, and if it does for ESPN, it gets ugly for ESPN. Cant' keep raising cable bills forever. All it takes, is a little bit of competition for ESPN, which is why they'll do anything to squash any competition on television, which includes attempting to destroy an entire athletic conference that helped found their company and get it off the ground.

Terms of the DirectTV - Viacom subscriber fee battle weren't disclosed a week or two ago when it settled (not sure if they're leaked out yet).....but the bottom line, is that it sure seems that Direct TV most certainly got a better deal in the price they were going to pay, for carrying Viacom's channels (nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central,etc.) Viacom's strong arm tactics failed, consumers didn't respond the way they anticipated, and have in the past.

ESPN, I'm sure - is paying attention.

"The attention surrounding this unnecessary and ill-advised blackout by Viacom has accomplished one key thing: it serves notice to all media companies that bullying TV providers and their customers with blackouts won’t get them a better deal. It’s high time programmers ended these anti-consumer blackouts once and for all and prove our industry is about enabling people to connect to their favorite programs rather than denying them access" - Derek Chang. Programming VP - Direct TV.

ESPN, is going into blackout mode on Big East products, in typical form based on past tactics for companies like this, who's programming needs to purchased by a service provider, and then the cost passed down to the television viewer on their cable bills. The world has changed though.

It will be something, if ESPN loses Big East basketball. But the thing is, all those regional based networks, that broadcast baseball teams, in places like New York City, Philadelphia, Tampa, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Diego, Hartford/New Haven, Washington DC,.......they need sports programming to fill up the weeknights in the winter, and they are all still counting on ADVERTISING based money, not so much on subscriber fees....therefore - the cable bills - go down, not up.

ALl those same regional networks, can also carry the football games to the same viewing populations, on weekends in the fall, across all four time zones, simultaneously to regions - NFL style.

Television reach of the Big EAst conference is approx. 32 million television households.

Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe Espn knows something about UConn Not being in the Big East for long or the more reasonable reason being basketball is not going to hold it's weight in basketball anymore without Syracuse and Pitt. Think about MSG during the playoffs without those two. Yes, the Big East will still have big names, but all in all the cohesiveness and rivalries are gone and now it's a jumbled mess.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ESPN certainly isnt going to help us if they know they are going to lose us as an entity. Think about it. They may be OK in the fall but in the winter what's going to happen to ESPN when all those basketball eyes move over to NBC Sports to watch the Big East basketball. and what happens when the games are over and they keep watching their equivalent of sports center. If the eyes move who is going to help ESPN pay out those massive contracts to the other 5 leagues. ESPN isnt going to go out of business but they were getting Big East basketball for a song and though the money is nowhere near Football money those eyeballs will be moving and may just stay on the other channel more than anyone expects. One can hope anyways that NBC will do it right and come up with some programming worth watching. ESPN isnt going to do anything to legitamize the Big East at this point. They have alot to lose if the ACC goes down the tubes and they dont have Big East basketball in the winter.

Except the Big East gets a lower average viewing audience than the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC and SEC.

In basketball.

Reaction Score
Except the Big East gets a lower average viewing audience than the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC and SEC.

In basketball.

Because there are more crappy, small school games (DePaul vs. Seton Hall etc). But, there are more games which has value.

Reaction Score
average viewership can be a misleading stat. i'd bet any SEC game with any viewership at all involved Kentucky. we'll have a huge inventory of nonsense games we can offer, which while they may not be great, are probably better than running another replay of ESPN's 30 in 30 or whatever else they could show. those garbage games may not be worth much individually, but collectively they add some value. if NBC has the option of running Houston/San Diego State in the west, Memphis/Cinci in the midwest and Georgetown/Villanova on the east, they can probably cobble together a really good number of overall viewers. unfortunately in losing Cuse we lose one of our top 4 marquee names so we'll have about 25% less "must see" type games and that's what the cable companies are really paying the big bucks for.

Reaction Score
People can say whatever they want about tinfoil hats and all but there is little doubt that ESPN is intentionally trying to damage the Big East right now.

What I'm surprised at is the Ombudsmen hasn't taken up this issue within the network yet.

Reaction Score
Now if espn low balls what does that do to our leverage with NBC

Reaction Score
Other than for a specific athletic event, I'm curious as to why some of you (or all of you) watch ESPN at all. You rarely get good objective analysis (exceptions, guys like Jay Bilas) and it is clear that the network has an agenda on a wide variety of topics (not just the BE) that is often not based on logic or objectivity. I find ESPN to be like watching a version of Fox News or Chris Matthews on MSNBC where the agenda is the driving force, and not often a fair analysis. Just like with politics, ESPN slants opinion by a variety of tactics, i.e. half-truths, slogan creation (Power 5 for example), fawning and repetition of insufficient information. I suspect that if the BE goes with NBC it will continue to get worse, although that's hard to fathom. Guys like Joe Tessitore would sell their own children before they would actually have an original well thought out position on anything.

Reaction Score
Other than for a specific athletic event, I'm curious as to why some of you (or all of you) watch ESPN at all. You rarely get good objective analysis (exceptions, guys like Jay Bilas) and it is clear that the network has an agenda on a wide variety of topics (not just the BE) that is often not based on logic or objectivity. I find ESPN to be like watching a version of Fox News or Chris Matthews on MSNBC where the agenda is the driving force, and not often a fair analysis. Just like with politics, ESPN slants opinion by a variety of tactics, i.e. half-truths, slogan creation (Power 5 for example), fawning and repetition of insufficient information. I suspect that if the BE goes with NBC it will continue to get worse, although that's hard to fathom. Guys like Joe Tessitore would sell their own children before they would actually have an original well thought out position on anything.

sheep.jpg

Reaction Score

i used to keep ESPN on as my default TV channel, but i rarely watch it anymore. my days of watching the same sportscenter several times (or even once) are well behind me, although i still often watch college football live. you're 100% right about comparing it to Foxnews or MSNBC where you feel like you're watching their version of events rather than objective coverage. i don't even think they covered the Olympics at all which is the premier sporting event in the world. if they did their coverage was minimal. i get that it was carried by a competitor, but how can the "#1 sports network" not cover the #1 sporting event in the world? the problem is i think a lot of college and high school age kids still watch a lot of it. hopefully that's changing now that there's so many more options for sports news, particularly the internet

Reaction Score
i used to keep ESPN on as my default TV channel, but i rarely watch it anymore. my days of watching the same sportscenter several times (or even once) are well behind me, although i still often watch college football live. you're 100% right about comparing it to Foxnews or MSNBC where you feel like you're watching their version of events rather than objective coverage. i don't even think they covered the Olympics at all which is the premier sporting event in the world. if they did their coverage was minimal. i get that it was carried by a competitor, but how can the "#1 sports network" not cover the #1 sporting event in the world? the problem is i think a lot of college and high school age kids still watch a lot of it. hopefully that's changing now that there's so many more options for sports news, particularly the internet

I was like you during the old days with ESPN SportsCenter. I don't even watch it anymore. As a BE FB fan, watching College FB Live would only piss you off. BE is either a) total ignored b) bashed not based on total facts but selective truth. ACC always get a free pass regardless how bad it is performing. CFL is a joke now. I can't stand guys like May, Corso and other jokers they hired.

NBC actually did a nice job with their iPAD app for Olympics. I hope they can do the same for BE football. I am so ready for the BE to move on from ESPiN at this point. The only thing I hope for is they jump in with some bids to pump up the price.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We are all assuming that ESPN makes a bid. Um... what if they don't? What if they sit back and say "Good luck guys, don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Oh and good luck ever getting a positive word from us again (football AND basketball)."

What if there is no bidding war?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer/Observer here. Just that - ESPN has a lot of inventory. Why do they want to pay through the nose to add more?

It's not mentioned much, but I hope Fox Sports gets in the mix with NBC too.

Reaction Score
We are all assuming that ESPN makes a bid. Um... what if they don't? What if they sit back and say "Good luck guys, don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Oh and good luck ever getting a positive word from us again (football AND basketball)."

What if there is no bidding war?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer/Observer here. Just that - ESPN has a lot of inventory. Why do they want to pay through the nose to add more?

It's not mentioned much, but I hope Fox Sports gets in the mix with NBC too.
Mike I think the play here is a lowball offer. Everything seems to point that way. Just like you said they have a huge inventory and if they can steal the Big East schools for like nine million or so they will try it for full control. Also I don't anticipate a bigger offer than their last offer since we slapped them in the face, they will have a hard time coming back with more. I am not too crazy about NBC but i like their announcers better. Herbstreet gets on my nerves for some reason, I don't see what's so great about him. The dream network would be to go to fox. Everything they do is first class although I think they overboard the special effects.

Reaction Score

Remember ESPN radio host "All Night with Todd Wright"??? A few years ago he appeared on Around the Horn. The next morning he ripped the show saying he didn't like the fact that each "reporter" was given scripts defining their viewpoints and each was given talking points to defend their "opinions" ... what happened to him??? ;) (sarcasm ... I know he is now on an independent station in Tampa)

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Their the anti- motha <k7n christ! karma is a bitch and it will get them in the end!

Reaction Score
Other than for a specific athletic event, I'm curious as to why some of you (or all of you) watch ESPN at all.
Agreed. I honestly can't remember the last Sports Center or College Football Live I've watched. I'll watch games and that's about it. I even got bored w/ College Game Day about 2 years ago. For me it had less to do with the BE bashing and more to do with the on air talent and their shtick. It became less about quality and insightful news/updates/analysis and more about trying to be entertaining.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

And the bull$#it continues...

"Perhaps the Big East gets there. Perhaps that changes perception over time. But there is more to this than wins and losses. If membership stabilizes, if the new commissioner is a dynamic, charismatic leader, if the new television deal exceeds every expectation and gets its member schools riches in the $10 million-plus range, if there is a national championship contender, the Big East stands to look like a newly crowned homecoming king to its harshest critics.
The sad truth is none of the other leagues have to deal with ifs right now. For all the uncertainty of the past two years, expansion talk has quieted. At least for today. Despite its maneuvers to make itself whole, the Big East remains the most fragile of every conference save the WAC, ripe to be picked off whenever the next round of realignment strikes."

Thanks, Andrea. You are as worthless as your blog. I highlighted some of the more ridiculous statements, which are clearly geared towards further defamation of the league in preparation for the 60-day negotiation period, where I fully expect an extremely low-balled number from ESPN. There is no doubt this thing is going to the open market, in my opinion. Yeah, we're only less fragile than the friggin' WAC!! :confused:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
To be fair, it says, "ESPN.com staff" as the author and not Andrea. So perhaps I'm ripping the wrong dunderhead over there in Bristol...

Reaction Score
If you check out @sportsbybrooks on Twitter, he has spoken out about how ESPN has been nothing more than a mouthpiece for the conferences and "name brands" it has an affiliation with for a while. Beyond MLB, NFL, NBA, and college football and basketball as a whole, he names conferences and individual schools as "favorites" of ESPN. I haven't gone to look for it but a few weeks back he had a nice rant going on twitter about the history of ESPN prior to and after the merger with Disney. Basically, he said that it went from sports to entertainment once the mouse took over and part of that change was to advocate for the highest bidders (ie leagues/teams) who make them the most money. If what ZLS says is true, and I fully believe it to be, that BE ratings are extremely low, then I would guess that ESPN is carrying out its orders to obliterate the league so it will move on and the network will look all the better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom