OT: Landon Donovan Left Off USA WC Squad | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Landon Donovan Left Off USA WC Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Like someone said earlier, if he had pulled that over here in Germany I would be mildly surprised if he ever played for National Team again.

That's not true. Let's be honest about it.

If Bastian Schweinsteiger took a "sabbatical", and then wished to return during WCQ (which is what Donovan did), he would either be let back on the team or the coach would be changed. The average player? Maybe you'd be right. The star? You're dead wrong.

I'll give you two recent examples from Italy that fit the mold of people who had lost their minds even more than Donovan: Balotelli and Cassano. Both found themselves back on the national team, and the coach found ways to reincorporate them into the team dynamic.

If the player is good enough, the coaches find ways to adjust...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The sabbatical is overblown and not relevant. If you understand the international calendar, it made sense for LD to take some time off, how much was entirely up to him. With MLS, national team duty for qualifying in 2008, Confederations Cup in 2009, WC 2010, off season loans to Everton, LD didn't have more than a week or two off at a time in years. For a guy that plays 90 minutes every match, that's an issue.

LD isn't as fast as he was in 2010, and has lost some of his first step. That's the soccer side of things. Since that's been his primary weapon, it's a concern, like Jordan not being able to dunk from the FT line. But, it doesn't mean he can't play or isn't fit. All it means is that he's wasn't a sure-fire 90 minute guy going both ways on the wing against the top clubs in the heat of the Amazon. A classification that includes every player from every country going to Brazil.

There is some score settling here that is not being told to the public. The left side depth chart is Davis/Green on the right it's Zusi/Bedoya. LD right now is better than all 4 of these guys. The only reason Zusi gets the nod on the right is because LD can play on the left.

Reaction Score
I don't know why everyone seems to think that Donovan is the only player that can score goals in world cup competition.

Right, that's what I said. Bring the guy so we can leave him on the bench until we decide to put the only player on the field who can score in the game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The sabbatical is overblown and not relevant. If you understand the international calendar, it made sense for LD to take some time off, how much was entirely up to him. With MLS, national team duty for qualifying in 2008, Confederations Cup in 2009, WC 2010, off season loans to Everton, LD didn't have more than a week or two off at a time in years. For a guy that plays 90 minutes every match, that's an issue.

LD isn't as fast as he was in 2010, and has lost some of his first step. That's the soccer side of things. Since that's been his primary weapon, it's a concern, like Jordan not being able to dunk from the FT line. But, it doesn't mean he can't play or isn't fit. All it means is that he's wasn't a sure-fire 90 minute guy going both ways on the wing against the top clubs in the heat of the Amazon. A classification that includes every player from every country going to Brazil.

I wouldn't say that. There's plenty who can go a hard 90 in the heat. Some guys are just used to it. I'd put money on a number of the African guys at the very least. But at his age, yeah, I don't think there's many. Especially on the wing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As I've said before, JK buys into the 90 minute (as best they can) speed/athlete players. You saw that dynamic at work with Real yesterday in the CL Final (barely--but it gave them opportunity at the end). They looked physically stronger/more fit than Atletico in the last 15 minutes of regulation and all of OT. Atletico dominated the first 3/4 and then ran out of gas.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
As I've said before, JK buys into the 90 minute (as best they can) speed/athlete players. You saw that dynamic at work with Real yesterday in the CL Final (barely--but it gave them opportunity at the end). They looked physically stronger/more fit than Atletico in the last 15 minutes of regulation and all of OT. Atletico dominated the first 3/4 and then ran out of gas.

Real was out of gas too. They simply had more quality which when the legs go has a distinct advantage over a squad that relies on team cohesiveness. As for quality full 90 wings in Brazil, you can probably count them on one hand. LD used to be that guy. Whether he still was, was the a question, but if I had to guess I think he could do it. I know Davis can't and Green can't. Zusi probably can, isn't at LD's top level, but I like him and won't lose any sleep with him out there. Bedoya may have the legs and fight, but he doesn't have the quality. I'd put Johnson or Johansson on the left based on the squad named, both have good ball skills and can dribble.

Reaction Score
Real was out of gas too. They simply had more quality which when the legs go has a distinct advantage over a squad that relies on team cohesiveness. As for quality full 90 wings in Brazil, you can probably count them on one hand. LD used to be that guy. Whether he still was, was the a question, but if I had to guess I think he could do it. I know Davis can't and Green can't. Zusi probably can, isn't at LD's top level, but I like him and won't lose any sleep with him out there. Bedoya may have the legs and fight, but he doesn't have the quality. I'd put Johnson or Johansson on the left based on the squad named, both have good ball skills and can dribble.
Atletico was missing Costa, which is for us like missing Dempsey or Bradley. Quality of Real Madrid's subs was high. Real threw defense to the wind. Without Costa it worked. Listened in Spanish. Much better analysis than Gus Johnson..

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Real was out of gas too. They simply had more quality which when the legs go has a distinct advantage over a squad that relies on team cohesiveness. As for quality full 90 wings in Brazil, you can probably count them on one hand. LD used to be that guy. Whether he still was, was the a question, but if I had to guess I think he could do it.

Di Maria's speed and fitness is what created the chance that lead to the winning goal. One of the reasons he was man of the match was his speed/fitness though out the whole game.

You can say Real had more quality (which individually was true), but there's no doubt Atletico was crushing them most of the game. Real outlasted athletically until their skill could take over. They were still running hard up front at the end, while Atletico's guys were zombies.

Somebody forgot to tell Ronaldo that there was a game on. If he didn't take any free kicks, I wouldn't even noticed he was there (outside of one nifty interior pass). Didn't stop his shirtless hulk hogan celebration of course.

Will respond to the rest later, but it is raining on me now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There is some score settling here that is not being told to the public. The left side depth chart is Davis/Green on the right it's Zusi/Bedoya. LD right now is better than all 4 of these guys. The only reason Zusi gets the nod on the right is because LD can play on the left.
The sabbatical was overblown except to the guys who worked their tails off the ENTIRE time. Time to move on. Make the best TEAM. Make the pieces fit. The job of any CEO in any organization

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The sabbatical was overblown except to the guys who worked their tails off the ENTIRE time. Time to move on. Make the best TEAM. Make the pieces fit. The job of any CEO in any organization

If you were the Bulls you wouldn't have taken Jordan back I'm guessing?

Is the goal to win games or reward people for practicing hard?

It's funny that the 'reasoning' for the exclusion is health and stamina, but the anger comes from something that would have helped LD's health in the long term.

His is the opinion that counts, but sorry we don't have to stop talking about it because you decide it's time to move on.

Reaction Score

It's funny that the 'reasoning' for the exclusion is health and stamina, but the anger comes from something that would have helped LD's health in the long term.

His is the opinion that counts, but sorry we don't have to stop talking about it because you decide it's time to move on.
If Donovan was Pele I would have kept him sure. But to make a comparison to Jordan you are dreaming - actually disrespectful to Jordan. Don't be the Yankees and keep over 40 overpaid former superstars. Bad formula.

Look I am disappointed he is not there and he may have even been better than some of the other guys, but the coach has to put together a team. That's what we pay him for. Otherwise he gets fired. Same as all of us.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Like Bruce Arena said if theirs 23 players on the USA squad better than LD we could win the World Cup..

Did he really say that?? Ha!

I'm not sure about winning it all, but we certainly wouldn't be picked to finish 4th in a 4-team group, that's for sure...

Reaction Score
Klinsmann's son didn't get his attitude about Donovan out of thin air. His tweets indicate there was plenty more than the sabbatical or the excuse of weak practices at play. This had all the earmarks of a done deal and a battle of will and ego that may make the coach feel more at ease, but hurt's the team's overall chances. We don't have the quality depth to be looking past World Cups to give talented youngsters a taste of the big stage. But that isn't what was at work here imo. It was about loyalty and chain of command.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Not sure how that analogy works. You can't just make the same comparison to another sport/league. Would UConn have taken Shabazz back if he decided to take a 2 months of the season off? Obviously, that doesn't translate either.

Compare it to leaving a great but aging player off the Olympic basketball team because they took a sabbatical during qualifying (if you must).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Klinsmann's son didn't get his attitude about Donovan out of thin air. His tweets indicate there was plenty more than the sabbatical or the excuse of weak practices at play. This had all the earmarks of a done deal and a battle of will and ego that may make the coach feel more at ease, but hurt's the team's overall chances. We don't have the quality depth to be looking past World Cups to give talented youngsters a taste of the big stage. But that isn't what was at work here imo. It was about loyalty and chain of command.

...is a moron. Seriously, are people actually ever going to figure out that the only thing twitter does is show the world how dumb they are?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Chandler openly snubbed the US for years and still made the team. His time off had zero to do with this.

Reaction Score
Like someone said earlier, if he had pulled that over here in Germany I would be mildly surprised if he ever played for National Team again.

I think LD being out is a combination of his fitness, not fitting into what JK has planned for Brazil, and JK also looking ahead to the future beyond 2014.

I'm certainly not wringing my hands over this; one player who very well could have been coming in as 2nd half replacement most likely will not make or break this team's final result.

If LD pulled his little sabbatical in any traditional soccer nation, he would have been summarily retired from national team duties for the duration of his career. They would also burn his likeness in effigy.

Seriously, if the whole sabbatical thing was supposed to help, it didn't.

Old fart teachers and professors take sabbaticals. World Class soccer players that are supposed to be in their prime don't.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

15 minutes of LD per game was going to be the difference between US embarrassment and not? It's not like he's Messi. We are in the legit grupo de la muerte. If we get through (with or without LD) it would be a gift from whatever god you prefer.

(on the goal itself, while it was a nice run, you probably could have done better than an open net from the 6 yard line! :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom