OT: Kitchen Countertop Replacement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Kitchen Countertop Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good thing my wife doesn't come in the Yard. She wants the whole kitchen done .Rearrange the dishwasher, new cabinets, counters, etc. The whole lot. I saw the proposal and almost passed out. I am trying my best to delay this project. I may be wrong but I compare home worth against redoing a major project. I will look a the Quartz option.
Hah, the whole lot doesn't start until you begin tearing down at least a wall or more ... thought we were nuts (well, minimally re-confirmed) after going all gang phu <sic> on 3 rooms' walls (fun!), ripping out 2 1/2 load bearing beams, personally agreeing to remove carp loads of wallpaper, repair, and repaint too many walls, and the first few weeks of 3 months of cooking on the patio with a Weber grill, toaster oven, and a single burner (akin to weekends of yesteryear in Storrs), operating out of basically 1 br, a temporary kitchen in the garage set up, and in our patio while most of our stuff was either in transit from overseas or remained in storage, etc. Crazy, but with 95% done our house and kitchen increasingly look and work great.

Yes, I absolutely support quartz counterparts as a great option. However, don't allow some schmaltz to try to shyster you with thinner than standard size countertops. Good luck with your counter and home improvements as well as your home's potential increased comfort and market value.

Reaction Score
I still say Corian for what he's looking for. I myself have reclaimed hickory wood countertop. But Corian is solid, looks good, and is cheap.
You don't cut on top of it. Nothing should scratch it. Especially if you get a marble or stone patterned top, you won't see any scratches anyway.
Going from laminate to quartz or granite or concrete is a big step. Go with Corian..

One thing about Beeswax ... it works well, but you can't ever put another coating on top. Say you put beeswax on your wood top, you can't ever coat it with Waterlox. It soaks into the wood and prevents adhesion for any other finish.. Same could be said for any stone that you may want to finish later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom