OT (kinda) ... it started with the U. | The Boneyard

OT (kinda) ... it started with the U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
JACKSONVILLE, FL—Calling his college experience “the greatest four years of [his] life,” 27-year-old University of Miami alumnus Mark Felder maintains a startling level of pride in his alma mater, a private academic institution that left him $50,000 in debt and completely unprepared for the current job market, sources confirmed Tuesday.
Felder, who graduated in 2007 with a bachelor’s degree in communications, reportedly exhibits a remarkable amount of devotion to the school that led him to flounder both professionally and financially, claiming that attending the university was “the best decision [he] ever made.”
“U Miami rules!” said Felder, who had to move back in with his parents for two years after graduating because of difficulty finding steady, full-time employment. “I try to head back there at least once a year to hang out and catch a football game. Seriously, if you’ve never experienced a ’Canes game at Sun Life Stadium, you have to go. There’s nothing like it.”
“It’s all about the U!” Felder added.
According to sources, the man who is no better off today than when he first graduated owns a wide variety of University of Miami apparel, including hats, sweatshirts, sports jerseys, and running shorts, as well as a number of posters and school pennants, which line the walls of his studio apartment. Additionally, Felder enthusiastically showed reporters the Miami Hurricanes decal on the back window of his dented 2001 Honda Civic, which he drives to the entry-level administrative assistant job he was forced to take after failing to find any significant work related to his degree.
Reports also confirmed that the man who acquired no marketable job skills as an undergraduate regularly spends his weekends watching Hurricanes football games with several of his friends from college, who are collectively over a quarter million dollars in debt.
“Whenever I go back to [the] Coral Gables [campus], it just brings back all those great memories of my time there,” said Felder, who has been unable to utilize his $35,000-a-year education to land a job that could possibly grow into a long-term and stable career. “The nightlife is amazing, we have awesome sports teams, and the campus is practically right on the beach. And everybody knows UM has the hottest girls.”
“I’m pretty sure we have one of the top law schools in the country, too,” added the man who would be in a far superior financial position at this point and face more or less identical job prospects had he not attended the university at all.
When confronted with any criticism of his alma mater, sources confirmed that Felder becomes vocally defensive of the institution that woefully underprepared him for not only the workforce, but also any form of graduate-level education.
“Don’t even get me started on the University of Florida or Florida State—those kids are all losers who wish they could go to Miami,” said Felder, whose monthly student loan payments barely cover the accrual of interest and are unlikely to erase his debt for at least another 20 years, making it increasingly improbable that he will ever own a home or retire at a reasonable age. “Honestly, I’d take the U over any school in the country, and I’d recommend it to anybody. Everyone who goes there loves it.”
In addition to encouraging family members and his friends’ younger siblings to attend the university, Felder expressed his hope to one day send his future children to the school, each of whom will undoubtedly qualify for comprehensive financial aid packages due to their father’s low level of annual income and virtually nonexistent savings.
At press time, Felder had just received a phone call from the University of Miami asking for a donation.

Reaction Score
and the point of this post is?

I'm pretty sure that there are many UConn grads who are struggling with school debt at the moment. The kid likes the school he went to despite the fact that he is struggling financially. Say what you want but Miami is a well regarded institution. The situation of Felder isn't an indictment on Miami, it is an indictment on post-high school education system that exists in this country, of which every college is a part of. A student who attends UConn as an out of state student forks out $40,000 a year...dont get the distinction.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The train wrecked much earlier than usual in this thread.

Reaction Score
So there's a kid that had a blast in college and now can't get a job. I'm pretty sure you could replace UMiami with any other school and find similar stories. I read one last summer about a Princeton grad that couldn't get a job at Barnes and Noble. Whoever wrote the article that seems to think 50k in college debt will keep him ever from owning a home must have gone to bed in 1965 and just woken up. I think $50k in college debt is pretty typical nowadays, which is why I hope my kids are blessed with my unbelievable good looks so they can go straight to modelling. And if anyone that's met me at a game calls me out on that last sentence we're not going to be friends anymore.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that there are many UConn grads who are struggling with school debt at the moment. The situation of Felder isn't an indictment on Miami, it is an indictment on post-high school education system that exists in this country, of which every college is a part of. A student who attends UConn as an out of state student forks out $40,000 a year...dont get the distinction.
Acknowledging too many students lock themselves into far too much debt at way too many private and public schools alike, only 25% of UConn students are from outside CT. For in-state, on-campus UConn students (75% of total), tuition, room, board, and fees totals about $22,000 per year.

If inexplicably limiting discussion to UConn's out-of-state students' $40,000 annual costs, they still enjoy a 20% discount compared with costs of Miami's entirely private student population. Recognizing varied financial aid resources, across all income levels The College Board's independent analysis strongly suggests even UConn's out-of-state students pay markedly less than all of Miami's students.

Focusing on education quality alone (and, setting aside weather, coed attraction, etc.), some people may actually believe Miami offers better opportunities than UConn. However, how many middle income parents and students are willing to accept the weight of Miami and other private schools' debt-laden investment requirements? In an ongoing, economic morass, is it truly worthy of the risk? Miami?

Reaction Score
and the point of this post is?

I'm pretty sure that there are many UConn grads who are struggling with school debt at the moment. The kid likes the school he went to despite the fact that he is struggling financially. Say what you want but Miami is a well regarded institution. The situation of Felder isn't an indictment on Miami, it is an indictment on post-high school education system that exists in this country, of which every college is a part of. A student who attends UConn as an out of state student forks out $40,000 a year...dont get the distinction.

Take a deep breath man, it's an onion article. Just a fake story poking fun at a made up bro from a private school.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-has-alarming-level-of-pride-in-institution-tha,30853/

Reaction Score
And if anyone that's met me at a game calls me out on that last sentence we're not going to be friends anymore.

There's nothing to call out. You are totally gorgeous matt. Your good looks are the stuff of legend.

Reaction Score
So there's a kid that had a blast in college and now can't get a job. I'm pretty sure you could replace UMiami with any other school and find similar stories. I read one last summer about a Princeton grad that couldn't get a job at Barnes and Noble. Whoever wrote the article that seems to think 50k in college debt will keep him ever from owning a home must have gone to bed in 1965 and just woken up. I think $50k in college debt is pretty typical nowadays, which is why I hope my kids are blessed with my unbelievable good looks so they can go straight to modelling. And if anyone that's met me at a game calls me out on that last sentence we're not going to be friends anymore.
So that isn't you in your avatar?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Whoosh

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The next funny Onion article will be the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom