OT kinda - CT college hoops, non-UCONN | The Boneyard

OT kinda - CT college hoops, non-UCONN

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
"Kinda" because it is related to college hoops in the state/area.

I went to the Fairfield at Quinnipiac game tonight, and enjoyed the matchup. Fairfield kept it close throughout, but ultimately QU pulled away behind an awesome performance from a Shelton kid - Rich Kelly, 27 points. I went with my father, a Stag alum, and relieved him of $5. I had never been to the complex at QU but I was really impressed. The dual hoops/hockey arena is really cool, and it was relatively new, nice, and clean. It got me wondering about checking out other D1 games in-state, or even out (Mass, RI, VT, NY, NJ).

Does anyone here ever attend Yale, UHart, CCSU, or Sacred Heart games? Or, does anyone have suggestions for nice, small, localish arenas where you can catch a great player/team/matchup? And you can sit front row, no problem, for about $15. Maybe like a UVM, Umass, or BU or BC? Were you impressed or not with the product? Product meaning overall entertainment value, not necessarily just the skill level (especially when compared to a UCONN team). I can see myself checking out some other in-state D1 games in the future, and even out-of-state. I feel like there must be so many options for checking out a good college hoops game within driving distance from CT, and I just realized how few of them I've gone to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a basketball nut, so yeah going to other local games is a ton of fun.

I'm going to the Sacred Heart game later today with my 8 and 6 year old nephews for their first D1 basketball game. Sacred Heart games are fun because they're cheap, easy to get to and pretty low key. Plus, I really like their team this year and Anthony Latina is a great coach to watch. Bobby V is the school's AD now and he's really trying to promote their teams.

However, Fairfield basketball at Alumni Hall is a better experience. It's a really cool old school court and the design of the place is very different than any other arena I've been to (sidelines go back about 15 rows, no baseline sets on one end and other end has a ton of baseline seats so it almost resembles a miso soup spoon).

I live in Norwalk, so both Fairfield schools are about 20 minutes away and I'm not far from Iona either. Planning on seeing one of their games too. Will see my first St. Joseph's game later in February. Other schools that are not much more than an hour away are: Yale, Quinnipiac, Hartford, CCSU, Army, Manhattan, Fordham, St. John's, Hofstra, Stony Brook, etc.

Reaction Score
Games at Yale and Fairfield are now on my list!
For Fairfield, first go to a game at Alumni Hall instead of Webster Bank arena.

Nothing wrong with Webster Bank Arena, I go there all the time and it's solid, but like your post/handle, it's more like an XL center experience: bigger arena, parking ordeal, can buy beer, etc.

Alumni Hall is a more classic college experience: old school gym, all GA seats, great sound with the wood ceiling, grumbly old men comparing this team to the team in the 60s, small concession stands, etc.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
For Fairfield, first go to a game at Alumni Hall instead of Webster Bank arena.

Nothing wrong with Webster Bank Arena, I go there all the time and it's solid, but like your post/handle, it's more like an XL center experience: bigger arena, parking ordeal, can buy beer, etc.

Alumni Hall is a more classic college experience: old school gym, all GA seats, great sound with the wood ceiling, grumbly old men comparing this team to the team in the 60s, small concession stands, etc.
Will do. My dad graduated from Fairfield and goes to many of their games with a friend of his. He goes to meet and greets with the coaches and stuff as well, so he's sort of into the program there. I'm ashamed I haven't joined them yet for a game. He is probably one of those grumbling old men that you alluded to!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom